Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Super League should get a Eurosport contract

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Vasile Andreica

Vasile Andreica
  • Facebook
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:25 AM

Looking at the variety of sports covered by Eurosport, especially on its 2nd channel, all over Europe, I guess it could accomodate the top tier European rugby league competition. They broadcasted the last World Cup. I don't know what are the plans with the upcoming one.

But I'm sure the RFL can try to get a contract to showcase the game in Europe. The AFL did it, cricket did it, American football lleagues in some european countries did it. Why not Super League?

#2 Adelaide Tiger

Adelaide Tiger
  • Coach
  • 138 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:01 AM

I thought that SL had some of contract with Eurosport as we get all SL games live or slightly delayed on the Eurosport channel over here in Oz.

#3 Vasile Andreica

Vasile Andreica
  • Facebook
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:23 AM

To be fair, it's the first time I ever hear of Eurosport Australia :D The European channel has no rugby league coverage.

Edited by Vasile Andreica, 29 July 2013 - 07:51 AM.

#4 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

To be fair, it's the first time I ever hear of Eurosport Australia :D The European channel has no rugby league coverage.

There may be an exclusivity deal in the Sky Sports contract, but I could be wrong.

Posted Image

#5 Vasile Andreica

Vasile Andreica
  • Facebook
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

There may be an exclusivity deal in the Sky Sports contract, but I could be wrong.

For the UK, but for the whole of Europe?

#6 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

I think the whole of Europe would include the UK. In any case, does Eurosport have the capacity to send out different things to different countries? I know that the commentary changes, but I am not sure that the pictures do...

#7 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

I think the whole of Europe would include the UK. In any case, does Eurosport have the capacity to send out different things to different countries? I know that the commentary changes, but I am not sure that the pictures do...

In Europe, Eurosport is generally available on basic digital television service providers. Since 1999, Eurosport provides various opt-out services providing more relevant sporting content specific to language, advertising and commentary needs. Eurosport offers a stand alone channel which provides a standardized version of the channel (Eurosport International in English). Alongside this there are also local Eurosport channels in France, United Kingdom, Italy, Germany, Poland, Nordic region and Asia Pacific. These channels offer greater sporting content with local sporting events, while also utilizing the existing pan-European feed.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#8 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

The UK version is referred to as British Eurosport and gets many different shows to the European version. For example, the AFL matches are shown live on Eurosport on a Saturday morning, but on British Eurosport we just get the one hour highlights programmes as ESPN has the rights to show the live matches in the UK.

#9 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

In Europe, Eurosport is generally available on basic digital television service providers. Since 1999, Eurosport provides various opt-out services providing more relevant sporting content specific to language, advertising and commentary needs. Eurosport offers a stand alone channel which provides a standardized version of the channel (Eurosport International in English). Alongside this there are also local Eurosport channels in France, United Kingdom, Italy, Germany, Poland, Nordic region and Asia Pacific. These channels offer greater sporting content with local sporting events, while also utilizing the existing pan-European feed.

Very informative. You should write for Wikipedia!

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#10 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:49 PM

Very informative. You should write for Wikipedia!

An added bit of info, Eurosport and Eurosport HD are broadcast in the clear on the Hot Bird 13B and 13C satellites, and Eurosport Germany on the Astra 1L (28.2ºE) satellite, which should get a decent signal in the UK

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#11 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,504 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

I like the notion that we should just "get a Eurosport contract".

Like you can just pop down to the corner shop and get one over the counter.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#12 Vasile Andreica

Vasile Andreica
  • Facebook
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:23 PM

I like the notion that we should just "get a Eurosport contract".

Like you can just pop down to the corner shop and get one over the counter.

Hehe. Why not? Eurosport shows a whole host of weirdish sports anyway.

#13 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:45 PM

Hehe. Why not? Eurosport shows a whole host of weirdish sports anyway.

Whenever I turn it on it's usually tennis or snooker.

rldfsignature.jpg

#14 Vasile Andreica

Vasile Andreica
  • Facebook
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

AFL (both Australian football and Arena football), T20 cricket, bowling, American football (european bowls), table football, even rock-paper-scissors :D not to mention the Rugby League World Cup last time around. Even GAA finals found their way on.

Most of them on Eurosport 2. And British Eurosport has a different schedule.

Edited by Vasile Andreica, 30 July 2013 - 06:02 PM.

#15 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

Eurosport Australia is not bad. They have provided the best SL coverage in Oz that we've had for some time
Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,077 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:11 PM

If i recall correctly Sky doesn't have any broadcasting rights to continental Europe. Any that you might watch in sports bars in Spain etc are actually "dodgy".

Hence they wouldn't have any exclusivity. If this were to become like the NRL's attempts to promote their game worldwide a couple of years ago then the broadcaster would require paying to put out RL. Not such a good idea.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#17 Vasile Andreica

Vasile Andreica
  • Facebook
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

NRL does a nice job with its official Livestream channel, offering live and recorded games for free to countries where they don't have a TV deal. But they can afford it.

Edited by Vasile Andreica, 30 July 2013 - 07:12 PM.

#18 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:16 PM

Superleague should win the lottery each Saturday and fund the game in this manner.

#19 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 291 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

i like this idea, super league could add a lot of value to eurosport i think, but without subscription fees, there would have to be significant advertising struck by Eurosport to subsidise the cost of rights.

Sky can pay so much for Superleague as they have a captive audience. If you want live super league , you have to pay sky. It gets them subscriptions much higher than the cost of what they pay SLE, plus the advertising space that goes with it. Decent viewing figures mean decent advertising returns for Sky.

WHere SLE goes wrong is that, unlike the RFU, they dont realise this potential. The BT deal in Union is huge because they understand that people will switch from SKy to the BT platform. BT use this as a launch pad to their services and so will pay over the odds for a well known competition.

Going back on topic, if something like this happened, there would have to be big commrcials sold to increase or match income, something im not sure Eurosport alone could deliver.

#20 Vasile Andreica

Vasile Andreica
  • Facebook
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:00 AM

i like this idea, super league could add a lot of value to eurosport i think, but without subscription fees, there would have to be significant advertising struck by Eurosport to subsidise the cost of rights.

Sky can pay so much for Superleague as they have a captive audience. If you want live super league , you have to pay sky. It gets them subscriptions much higher than the cost of what they pay SLE, plus the advertising space that goes with it. Decent viewing figures mean decent advertising returns for Sky.

WHere SLE goes wrong is that, unlike the RFU, they dont realise this potential. The BT deal in Union is huge because they understand that people will switch from SKy to the BT platform. BT use this as a launch pad to their services and so will pay over the odds for a well known competition.

Going back on topic, if something like this happened, there would have to be big commrcials sold to increase or match income, something im not sure Eurosport alone could deliver.

Good points. I was mostly thinking about a deal to bring rugby league in the continental Europe versions of Eurosport. That would not infringe on the Sky contract.

A few years ago we here in Romania could watch one or two Super League games per week on a tiny channel called Sport Klub. Eurosport would be way bigger in terms of audience and commentary quality.

Edited by Vasile Andreica, 31 July 2013 - 06:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users