Super League should get a Eurosport contract

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 304 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:11 AM

do you use the superleague website to watch highlights? if there was a full game on there, would you pay a small fee to watch i wonder?

#22 Vasile Andreica

Vasile Andreica
  • Facebook
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:35 AM

do you use the superleague website to watch highlights? if there was a full game on there, would you pay a small fee to watch i wonder?

Wouldn't mind it, I used to have the MLB subscription. I feel rugby league is one of those sports which are better seen in full-game mode. The intrigue of having to make something of each set of tackles is more appealing to me than just the tries.

Edited by Vasile Andreica, 31 July 2013 - 07:45 AM.

#23 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 304 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:46 AM

I live in New Zealand, where we get both superleague games shown on delay here. I think if SLE were smarter, they could give away the rights to two Superleague games outside anywhere which has established rugby league, Romania and the Czech republic for example.  This could help promote the game and encourage people to play. I would load these games heavilly with advertising to make up for any shortfall in revenue. I would also make the superleague website be painted onto the pitch.

From this, I would show all the other games on delay through the site, with a 'Game pass' subscription. This way, you could watch your team each week if you wanted to, for a small fee, similar to renting a movie. Again, the games would be heavilly loaded with advertising, as would the highlights which are free on the site anyway.

By doing this, our sponsors recieve much more international exposure and so get more value for money, whilst the game promotes itself to new markets and fans from farther afield can watch games casually, or watch their team each week.

All of these things could be done almost overnight, the only real restriction being the exclusivity of the SKY deal and the clubs seemingly reluctance to take a short term drop in tv share in order to grow the potential sponsorship 10 fold.

But, again, what do i know ;)

#24 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

As there are many emerging nations in Europe showing an inclination for RL, such as Serbia, Germany and Italy, I can see a lot of benefits broadcasting games there.

#25 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 304 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:37 AM

one of the guys in my team here has come over from the Czech republic just to learn more about the game, with commitment like that, we really should be doing all we can as a game to help these people.

Too many times before we have missed oppurtunity to develop long term with teams, georgia for example.

#26 Vasile Andreica

Vasile Andreica
  • Facebook
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

Romania is a rugby union nation, never heard of rugby league being played over here. But I am sure the audience would be at least intrigued to see a live game at the ground... if only for being able to actually see the ball from the stands most of the time.

TV coverage is paramount. In the last years American football began to gain ground and the first Romanian bowl was played, and Eurosport's coverage of NCAA football sure helped, as the NFL is captive on a dying sports channel. Also, with Eurosport showing the T20 World Cup and Champions League, cricket became more familiar and kids start to play it here and there.

Georgia is a union nation too, but their skills and fierce style of playing would translate well to the increased physicality of league.

Edited by Vasile Andreica, 31 July 2013 - 11:02 AM.

#27 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 304 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:44 AM

georgia actually played league for a few years before infighting and some persuasion turned them on mass to union, this is typical in many places. though im getting off topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users