Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Play-offs, will we make them?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,643 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

I believe that when GM was appointed one of his criteria for success was to make the top eight play-offs, which didn't seem too onerous at the time given the optimism around our recruitment. We started off well but then had a few hiccups along the way but still looked good odds to make the top eight for most of the time. Recently, however, a couple of clubs have started to make significant inroads, notably Doncaster and Workington, and our chances on making these play-offs are now looking less likely.

Will we get there or will we be pipped at the post?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#2 Hugh Jarce

Hugh Jarce
  • Coach
  • 254 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:27 AM

It would be nice to make the play-offs, but tbh, not being relegated will be wonderful.

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

#3 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

As long as we stay in this league thats the main thing. The playoffs would be a bonus. Next season the playoffs should be more attainable.

#4 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

Like most I thought the Rams good enough to make the play offs, but I have to reconsider and fancy the cumbrians along with Donny to push you into 9th or 10th. We should scrape into the first game of the play offs when once again our season will be probably finish and then we can all look forward to 2014 full of optamism :focus:

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#5 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 990 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

Play off would be nice,but not a disaster this season,think Doncaster have been the surprise team for me,got a feeling we will finish ninth,then onwards and upwards from their on!!

#6 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 902 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:54 PM

9th for me as well , after Hunslet we have to play 3 of the top 4 and Donny.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#7 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,643 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:44 PM

Swinton beat Fev yesterday. Funny results do occur at the end of the season, for whatever reason so you never can tell.

Personally i would be really pleased if we were to make the play-offs, no matter what chance we have of succeeding. After all  this year we have been celebrating just such an upset, albeit 40 years ago.

We need to (should) beat Hunslet and the Donny match will be quite crucial. We can worry about the rest as they come.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#8 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:45 PM

Doncaster have a fairly tough run in as well, so think it is between us and them with the fixture between us being even more important.

So it will close and think we could still make it. But as long as we avoid relegation which looks increasingly likely I will be happy.

GMs first season as a head coach, a new squad, long term injuries to Buchanan, Wirght, Brown , Spicer and Ben Jones and the loss of Spaven, it could have been a lot worse.

#9 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

Although I got my top six prediction wrong (sadly), I think we should hold our top eight place (hopefully anyway)
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#10 muddyfunster

muddyfunster
  • Coach
  • 960 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:12 AM

Swinton beat Fev yesterday. Funny results do occur at the end of the season, for whatever reason so you never can tell.

Personally i would be really pleased if we were to make the play-offs, no matter what chance we have of succeeding. After all  this year we have been celebrating just such an upset, albeit 40 years ago.

We need to (should) beat Hunslet and the Donny match will be quite crucial. We can worry about the rest as they come.

Totally agree BSJ The key to our final position are Hunslet & Doncaster at home. These are the two games to secure our place in the Championship, unexpected wins or BP elsewhere might just see us in the playoffs

The future's bright, the future's RED AMBER & BLACK!

http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/

name.png

#11 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,643 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:16 AM

On balance the answer to my original post is looking more and more like "no". Other teams around us are getting good results whilst we seem to be a poorly struggling side at present - injuries take their toll but all teams suffer from these in our sport.

Also, just to brighten things up a little, my primitive approach to maths tells me that we still aren't safe from the drop. Can anyone tell me different?

:O

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#12 muddyfunster

muddyfunster
  • Coach
  • 960 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

On balance the answer to my original post is looking more and more like "no". Other teams around us are getting good results whilst we seem to be a poorly struggling side at present - injuries take their toll but all teams suffer from these in our sport.

Also, just to brighten things up a little, my primitive approach to maths tells me that we still aren't safe from the drop. Can anyone tell me different?

:O

York have 4 games to play with a possible 12 points Hunslet have 3 games. If its bottom 2 down then 2 bonus points from our last three should secure us our place irrespective of how others go elsewhere, or one BP provided we have a better points difference, come the death.

Squeaky bum time?!

Likewise correct me if I'm wrong.

The future's bright, the future's RED AMBER & BLACK!

http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/

name.png

#13 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

Lets hope o'brien is back next week we miss him when he's not available

#14 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,643 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:47 AM

York have 4 games to play with a possible 12 points Hunslet have 3 games. If its bottom 2 down then 2 bonus points from our last three should secure us our place irrespective of how others go elsewhere, or one BP provided we have a better points difference, come the death.

Squeaky bum time?!

Likewise correct me if I'm wrong.

So still not safe then?

BP's haven't been our strong point this season, have they?

Phrrrrt!

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#15 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:06 AM

It maybe a close game at half time but I feel we will fall apart again in the second half. Plus I feel another poor crowd for Sunday