Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Get Peter Sterling + Brett Kenny over for the Challenge Cup Final

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Get Brett Kenny and Peter Sterling to the Challenge Cup Final (34 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the RFL get Peter Sterling and Brett Kenny to promote the Challenge Cup Final?

1. RFL Fly them over! (28 votes [82.35%])

Percentage of vote: 82.35%

2. Leave them in Oz! (6 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 FlattenedbyWard

FlattenedbyWard
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

Given that this game is a repeat of the classic 1985 Final where the incumbent Kangaroo Halfbacks and Parramatta Team mates were on opposite sides wouldn't it be a great anchor/ promotional tool for the game on TV and in the press for the RFL to get Peter Sterling and Brett Kenny over for the week leading up to the game?

They could be there for all the Media Days, do extended interviews for a TV feature and even perhaps be Studio guests.....Sterlo could even be in the commentary box!

Thoughts??

#2 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,663 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

Sterlo is a fantastic ambassador for RL. He's eloquent, has a great knowledge of the game and has little difficulty expressing himself when commentating live.

Why would the BBC consider putting a microphone in front of him?

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#3 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

What a great idea.
People called Romans they go the house

#4 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 748 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:01 PM

What a great idea.

Yep. Smashing idea.

Hope the final is a really close classic like yesterday

#5 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

Would be great to see those two play some role on the day.. two of the best ever.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#6 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 942 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

Would be great to get them both over for the cup final but it might be hard to get Sterling over because of his work commitments with channel nine over that weekend.

#7 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,363 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

That'd be great. I still remember the 85 final as one of my favourite games as a neutral.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#8 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,849 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

Would be great to get them both over for the cup final but it might be hard to get Sterling over because of his work commitments with channel nine over that weekend.

Just a flying visit - I'm sure he could get one weekend off if he was invited early enough for the channel to arrange a stand-in. 

It is an excellent idea by FbW - in fact, getting as many veterans of that match together and presenting them to the crowd would be a good idea too.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#9 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,363 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

Chicka Ferguson, Graeme West, Kemble, O'Hara (had a 'mare), Leuluai.........

Could make a right reunion.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#10 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

Stevo and Eddie will be free, maybe we could do a swap for the weekend!!!
100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#11 Bazz

Bazz
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

The 1985 final was one of the five  best games I have ever been to and I've been watching RL since 1958!

#12 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,849 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

How many are still with us? It wasn't that long ago, so I'd assume the majority are alive. 

Wigan: Edwards; Ferguson, Stephenson, Donlan, Gill; Kenny, M Ford; Courtney, Kiss, Case (Campbell), West (capt), Dunn, Potter.

Coach: Colin Clarke/Alan McInnes.

Hull: Kemble; James, S Evans, Leuluai, O'Hara (Schofield); Ah Kuoi, Sterling; L Crooks (capt), Patrick, Puckering (Divorty), Muggleton, Rose, Norton.

Coach: Arthur Bunting.

Referee: Ron Campbell (Widnes).

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#13 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

great idea - it wont happen though- for the reason- its a great idea!
the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#14 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:25 PM

Stevo and Eddie will be free, maybe we could do a swap for the weekend!!!

Why just the weekend?
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#15 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

Just a flying visit - I'm sure he could get one weekend off if he was invited early enough for the channel to arrange a stand-in. 

It is an excellent idea by FbW - in fact, getting as many veterans of that match together and presenting them to the crowd would be a good idea too.

Peter Sterling has more than just his Channel 9 commitments though.  He has his own programme "Sterlo" on Fox Sports on a Thursday night and he does radio commentary on Monday Night Football for Triple M radio as well.

Having said that I think bringing those 2 legends over is a brilliant idea.  Does anyone know what Brett Kenny does nowadays?

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#16 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,098 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

Peter Sterling has more than just his Channel 9 commitments though.  He has his own programme "Sterlo" on Fox Sports on a Thursday night and he does radio commentary on Monday Night Football for Triple M radio as well.

Having said that I think bringing those 2 legends over is a brilliant idea.  Does anyone know what Brett Kenny does nowadays?

He was declared bankrupt in 2010.I think he coaches on the central coast now.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#17 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,695 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

Who is paying?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#18 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

Who is paying?

Is he? He must be earning big money on first base.

Edited by deluded pom?, 29 July 2013 - 06:59 PM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#19 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

Who is paying?

no one will grasp the nettle for this great idea, it will be 5 mins of somebody from look north interviewing lee crooks and Henderson gill and you will be grateful for it, that's if the golf or snooker doesn't run over time.
the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#20 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:08 PM

That'd be great. I still remember the 85 final as one of my favourite games as a neutral.

It was my first Wembley and I've not missed one since. I was lucky enough to bump into Neil Fox pre-kick off, I think it was the 50th Wembley or something like that and there were loads of greats milling about in the build up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users