Photo
- - - - -

Anyone visited or lived in remote parts of the world?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

I often wonder what it's like to live out in the wilderness (Lancashire apart  :tongue:). Has anyone experienced such places and with tales to tell? Even in the UK there are places out on a limb, where everyday life can be tough and unforgiving.

#2 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,282 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:31 AM

Balta sound on unst the most northerly of the shetland isles

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#3 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

Balta sound on unst the most northerly of the shetland isles

A television documentary shown over recent weeks taking a look at the Outer Hebrides has so far been compelling viewing. 

#4 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 489 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

I survived a trip to Millom

#5 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,608 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

Been to a couple of places with terrible infrastructure, poverty (Kabul) or war torn (Basra).  A lot of the time people and friendly and just want to get on with life.

It is sobering to come home and be in a queue at Sainsbury’s where someone is doing a shop close to 200 quid.  You definitely appreciate how easy we have it in the UK.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#6 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,589 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

Been to Hungary (late 70s/early 80s) and Albania (about 20 years ago), both under communist rule at the time. Enjoyed effusive hospitality both times, but we could tell our hosts had a hard time making ends meet.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#7 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,163 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

I was supposed to visit Spurn Point again. That's pretty remote.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#8 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:29 PM

Been to a couple of places with terrible infrastructure, poverty (Kabul) or war torn (Basra).  A lot of the time people and friendly and just want to get on with life.

It is sobering to come home and be in a queue at Sainsbury’s where someone is doing a shop close to 200 quid.  You definitely appreciate how easy we have it in the UK.

I spent a bit of time in a good few countries with the army and have been on holiday in a good few more where you get hints of real poverty that you'd never see here.  It has made me realise how petty many of my first world problems really are compared to the problems a sizeable portion of the world's population have to deal with daily.

On the subject at hand though, I spent 6 months in Belize with the army, most of my detachment there was spent away in woody backwaters checking on known drug routes and fields.  Periods of utter peace, miles from the nearest hint of civilisation mixed in with enough hints that we were very, very alone and way beyond easy help.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#9 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,951 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

Bought,  but never got it up to a liveable standard before selling it on a house in Bobrovec, Slovakia.

Met several people in there 70's who'd never ventured beyond there closest town.  One asked a Kiwi guy through a translater where he was from, he told them New Zealand, they asked him if he'd come by bus or bike!

Fascinating place though, every house we visited was like something out of the good life, everyone in the country had a veggie patch of some sort and fruit trees to make there own booze with.

So whilst not that remote, given its only a two hour flight away and then a three hour drive, but felt like travelling much further, along with going back in time!

#10 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,282 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

I was supposed to visit Spurn Point again. That's pretty remote.

i can recommend it
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#11 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

Stationed in Bahrain in 1967 and really dire for those living in shanty type huts. The stench wafting over from a nearby village was truly awful, as well as out of bounds due to fear of being attacked. If we wanted to go the the main island, then it was by way of a taxi. Yet I suppose it pales when compared to Afghanistan. 

Edited by Saint Billinge, 29 July 2013 - 03:05 PM.

#12 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,163 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

i can recommend it

I went for the first time a few years ago. Pretty damn good, especially at home time when the tide came in. It's a bit weird being in a 10m slither between the sea and the Humber.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#13 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

Stationed in Bahrain in 1967 and really dire for those living in shanty type huts. The stench wafting over from a nearby village was truly awful, as well as out of bounds due to fear of being attacked. If we wanted to go the the main island, then it was by way of a taxi. Yet I suppose it pales when compared to Afghanistan. 

The thing is though that what you're brought up in is "normal" to you and you only think you're different if it's either pointed out to you or if it's rammed in your face by wealthy tourists paying months worth of your wages for a useless tourist trinket.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#14 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:25 PM

I went for the first time a few years ago. Pretty damn good, especially at home time when the tide came in. It's a bit weird being in a 10m slither between the sea and the Humber.

If you really want  to live on the edge, next time you go take a detour off the main road at Ottringham and head to Sunk Island.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#15 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,608 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:39 PM

Was that at Muharraq?  If so the nicer bits are still over the other side of the harbour!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#16 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

The thing is though that what you're brought up in is "normal" to you and you only think you're different if it's either pointed out to you or if it's rammed in your face by wealthy tourists paying months worth of your wages for a useless tourist trinket.

These days even the poor can watch Hollywood films. People in third world countries are quite aware of how poor they are.

#17 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:42 PM

I worked in Romania for a couple of years (98-00) and Thailand for one (97-98). Not as backward as some places but poor enough when you live there.

I also went to Burma briefly (98) now that was poor.

#18 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

Was that at Muharraq?  If so the nicer bits are still over the other side of the harbour!

It was and pestered to death with kids asking for money.  :tongue: I was there when driving on the left side of the road was changed to the right: utter chaos and scary!

#19 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

If you really want  to live on the edge, next time you go take a detour off the main road at Ottringham and head to Sunk Island.

Just read about it and sounds interesting: a place going nowhere and skies that go on forever and properties dotted about. 

#20 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 210 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

Stayed in a village in Issan a few times. Not ultra poor, but a real tough existence all the same. Modernisation has only had a minimal effect on rice farming, which remains back breaking work. Flies, mosquitos and stultifying heat add to the fun. It was noticeable how few people aged between about 20 and 50 remained in the village. Mainly they had left for the factories around Bangkok leaving their grandparents to look after the kids.

Been twice to Myanmar and only for a few hours each time so can't read much into it, albeit there were clear improvements this year over four years ago.

Hoping to visit Cambodia in October, but suspect that will be a shock to the system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users