Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone visited or lived in remote parts of the world?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:28 PM

:D

Well done; glad you enjoyed it! Doing anything is hard work above 5000m so that's a great effort! How was the flight into Lukla?

So what's your next challenge? Mt Blanc next Sep? ;)

The flight was great, not sure everyone else agreed!  Didn't have any AMS, so I think I'm part Sherpa...

Next Challenge is the John Muir Trail in September, maybe Kilimanjaro in Feb...then Greenland?  Stok Kangri?  Ideas!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#62 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:02 AM

I spent three months visiting friends in Western Australia.  Lots of remoteness there!  I'd include standing on the beach at the bottom of the state, looking out on to the Southern Ocean knowing that the next landmass is Antarctica. 

But I also thought Glen Coe in Scotland pretty remote too, especially when the weather was bad and I was low on petrol wondering whether I would make it through to civilisation before the car stalled!

Just love Glen Coe. For anyone energetic, you can climb up to a cave where there is a visitors book to be signed. That said, it was some years ago since I went through the area so not sure if a book is still there. 

Edited by Saint Billinge, 13 May 2014 - 07:54 AM.

#63 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,753 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:20 PM

The flight was great, not sure everyone else agreed!  Didn't have any AMS, so I think I'm part Sherpa...

Next Challenge is the John Muir Trail in September, maybe Kilimanjaro in Feb...then Greenland?  Stok Kangri?  Ideas!

I loved the flight too but a few weren't in my stick; pansies! :D I got quite a bad headache at 5000m when I was in the Mera valley; dropped back to 4200m that day and was fine after that reaching just shy of 6500m on Mera itself (first ever ice climb to the summit - it was only 15m but I was beyond hooped...!).

Managed to tick off Kilimanjaro in 2010; went via the Rongai route, which was far more relaxed and an extra day in length than the Marangu Route etc. I enjoyed the trip but the summit night is a right old slog up a 1000m scree slope in the dark... views are worth it from Gilman's and Uhuru Peak though...!

Stok Kangri would be a good choice as it is just over 6000m and on snow and ice... I'd avoid anything in Pakistan if you can avoid it; I'd love to head into the Karakoram's but Pakistan is very dangerous at the moment... Do you have much experience on the stuff using crampons and an ice axe? I am getting better with them and intending to climb Mt Blanc in late Aug/early Sep 2015 before potentially having a crack at either Denali or a 7000m peak in 2017. So how funds and the personal life are closer to the time though...

Edited by GeordieSaint, 15 May 2014 - 05:22 PM.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#64 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:05 PM

I loved the flight too but a few weren't in my stick; pansies! :D I got quite a bad headache at 5000m when I was in the Mera valley; dropped back to 4200m that day and was fine after that reaching just shy of 6500m on Mera itself (first ever ice climb to the summit - it was only 15m but I was beyond hooped...!).

Managed to tick off Kilimanjaro in 2010; went via the Rongai route, which was far more relaxed and an extra day in length than the Marangu Route etc. I enjoyed the trip but the summit night is a right old slog up a 1000m scree slope in the dark... views are worth it from Gilman's and Uhuru Peak though...!

Stok Kangri would be a good choice as it is just over 6000m and on snow and ice... I'd avoid anything in Pakistan if you can avoid it; I'd love to head into the Karakoram's but Pakistan is very dangerous at the moment... Do you have much experience on the stuff using crampons and an ice axe? I am getting better with them and intending to climb Mt Blanc in late Aug/early Sep 2015 before potentially having a crack at either Denali or a 7000m peak in 2017. So how funds and the personal life are closer to the time though...

Never used ice axe and crampons, just a walker really but I will do a course in Scotland at some point.  You are well on the way to the 7 highest in 7 continents (or will be soon).

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#65 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,258 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:04 AM

My grandmother's uncle was reburied next the Shackleton's grave a few years ago. My mother visited and placed some stuff on Frank's grave for the family. She said it is absolutely beautiful there. She also loved the Falklands whe she was invited to the Governors house for a feed.

Two areas that are fairly wild and unvisited in the UK are Torridon in Northwest Scotland and Otterburn/Kielder in Northumberland; both beautiful and remote locations.

Work-wise, I have had the pleasure of Afghanistan and the hell-hole that was Sangin. If there was no people (both locals and military forces), it has the potential to be a paradise but sadly it isn't. Also been to some remote areas in Kenya, which were pretty desolate and hardly anything lives in the Darfur Mountains in Oman. However, the wildest place I have ever been in South Georgia. I managed to get out on a Naval patrol during my recent tour to the South Atlantic and it was a wild and treachrous journey on the Southern Ocean but very much worth it to visit Shackleton's grave at Gritvyken and go climbing in the surrounding mountains. The Falklands was pretty remote and spectacular too; I'd live there if it was closer to the UK.

During my recent post-tour leave, I went climbing in the Himalayas. I climbed Mera and Island Peak in Nepal trekking through some very remote valleys; the poverty and sense of isolation was rife. Nepalis are a very hardy bunch. Southeast Iceland is pretty remote but stunning too as is inner-Sweden; did a winter dog sledding trek around the Osterstund wilderness in 2009. Amazing!

My next wilderness trip is hopefully climbing a 7000m peak in the Karakoram Mountains in Pakistan (2015 hopefully). Not sure I'll get clearance with the recent killings by fundamentalists on Nanga Parbat in Jun (?) but will try to get there.

Edited by Copa, 16 May 2014 - 01:09 AM.

#66 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,834 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

I'm spending all next week in Scotland. Does that count?

#67 SouthernRLfan

SouthernRLfan
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:04 AM

How about a day on Dartmoor?

#68 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,753 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:45 AM

Never used ice axe and crampons, just a walker really but I will do a course in Scotland at some point. You are well on the way to the 7 highest in 7 continents (or will be soon).

They aren't too difficult to use unless on technical climbs; crossing crevasses are always a bit daunting, especially if you the 'monkey' at the front... exciting though...

I had hoped to do the 7 Summits but ridiculously expensive with Everest and Vinson both being way over £20k; the Pyramid in the Pacific is nearly £10k too... I had been due to attempt Aconcagua in 2012 but got sent to the Falklands; no chance I'd have got across to the mountain! :)

My grandmother's uncle was reburied next the Shackleton's grave a few years ago. My mother visited and placed some stuff on Frank's grave for the family. She said it is absolutely beautiful there. She also loved the Falklands whe she was invited to the Governors house for a feed.

I have a nice picture of both graves; South Georgia was epic - an absolute wilderness but utterly breathtaking. It is tough to get to with an 18hr flight to Mount Pleasant followed by a 3.5 day voyage by ship on rough seas; I was on ice watch during the night and thankfully never missed any!

Stanley is a truly idyllic little town overlooking the harbour with the Mt Longdon, Two Sisters etc in the background. Government House overlooks the harbour and still bears the scars of the 1982 conflict, as does much of the islands... If you ever get chance to visit, jump at the chance as the South Atlantic is an amazing location.

Edited by GeordieSaint, 17 May 2014 - 09:45 AM.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#69 henage

henage
  • Coach
  • 144 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:58 AM

Orkney great place to visit .

#70 The real Mac

The real Mac
  • Coach
  • 608 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:03 PM

Brussels felt quite isolated at times. But for isolation I would say a slit trench near suffield at 3 in the morning in -35 degrees. Medman 7, 1989 with Royal Irish battle group. Worst of it was, we could hear the pizza delivery drivers in medicine hat 150 k away over the radio and we were living on compo rations.

Parts of the GR20 in Corsica were awesome. 3 days walk to the nearest road.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users