Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hookers at dummy half

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,060 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:03 PM

Can you explain how those names describe their roles without saying "that's just what they've always been called"?

It describes there position from a scrum of a usual RL back line. To try to give each position a name that describes their role would be futile as different teams use players in different ways. That's before players start switching position. Take a loose forward would some teams call him a fifth prop others a second stand off others teams would call him a third second row some teams could even call him a secondary hooker. The current system is simple and it works.

#42 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,921 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:27 PM

It describes there position from a scrum of a usual RL back line. To try to give each position a name that describes their role would be futile as different teams use players in different ways. That's before players start switching position. Take a loose forward would some teams call him a fifth prop others a second stand off others teams would call him a third second row some teams could even call him a secondary hooker. The current system is simple and it works.

So how does a hooker describe what he does then? (Kind if the original point I made).

And why must every formation be the same with the same names? In football they have different positions and different names.

If a team plays his loose as a third prop, why can't it just be called that? They wouldn't keep calling the extra player a midfielder in a 4-3-3 formation in football, would they?
Posted Image

#43 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,060 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

So how does a hooker describe what he does then? (Kind if the original point I made).

And why must every formation be the same with the same names? In football they have different positions and different names.

If a team plays his loose as a third prop, why can't it just be called that? They wouldn't keep calling the extra player a midfielder in a 4-3-3 formation in football, would they?

I think I know what your getting at but I also think because of the fluency between positions you couldn't call anyone prop as very often they won't be proping scrums.

I'll have a go though.
1/fullback - second playmaker
2/winger - winger
3/centre - attacking centre
4/centre - defensive centre
5/winger - winger
6/stand off - playmaker
7/scrum half - organiser
8/prop - driver
9/hooker - distributor
10/prop - driver
11/second row - wide runner left
12/second row - wide runner right
13/loose forward - optional driver.

#44 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,607 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:01 AM

I think I know what your getting at but I also think because of the fluency between positions you couldn't call anyone prop as very often they won't be proping scrums.

I'll have a go though.
2/winger - winger
5/winger - winger
6/stand off - playmaker
7/scrum half - organiser
8/prop - driver
9/hooker - distributor
10/prop - driver

I think it's a shame that the loose forward has been reduced to the role of a driver. back in the day we had the likes of harry Pinner, Harry Poole, Johny Whitely, Albert Blan and others playing the position who, whilst most definitely forwards capable of driving it with the best of them, also had skill, craftiness and guile and were playmakers of the highest calibre and you ignored that aspect of your play at your peril. They would burn you.

I remember GB beating an Australian side containing both Wells and Gasnier at Headingley when Johnny Whitley created a try for the scrum half jeff Stevenson and GB ultimately won by one or two points.

The nearest we have to that today is Sinfield even though he nominally plays stand off. It's a pity that skill set has gone as it creates another attacking dimension which is today a lost art.

#45 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,921 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:49 AM

I'll have a go though.
2/winger - winger
5/winger - winger
6/stand off - playmaker
7/scrum half - organiser
8/prop - driver
9/hooker - distributor
10/prop - driver

I don't think there's anything wrong with the fullback name, as that's just where they are.

Winger is also fairly self-explanatory.

I'm not sure about why you have an attacking and a defending centre when surely they should both be doing the same job? I'd just call them a wide/edge receiver or something to that effect.

Back rowers would be wide forwards, and front rowers go forwards.

Hookers a quarterback, because that's where they stand from the ruck.

Halves could still be half backs. They stand halfway back between the ruck and the rest of the players when they make a play most of the time. Usually have one organising (chief) half and one running half.

Loose forward can be whatever the coach decides to use him for! Just a utility forward I guess if there isn't a specific role for him.

So there you go. When they abolish the scrum, here's some names!
Posted Image

#46 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

The roles we have for players haven't changed as much as they have for other sports, have they ?

We still need a couple of big blokes to take the ball up, do the tackling and make everyone else look good. Even if there were no scrums we'd still have them.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#47 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,208 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:32 PM

I'll have a go though.
2/winger - winger
5/winger - winger
6/stand off - playmaker
7/scrum half - organiser
8/prop - driver
9/hooker - distributor
10/prop - driver

If one of the drivers was the player coach he could be erm the coach driver!

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#48 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 699 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:44 AM

Hope these help:

1/fullback – very fast catcher runner tackler
2/winger – very fast runner arounderer
3/centre – fast passer runner arounderer
4/centre – fast passer runner arounderer
5/winger – very fast runner arounderer