Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

BT Sport Superleague?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 649 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

Could this happen?  Could BT Sport sponsor Superleague?

I've just read an article stating that BT sport are now the main sponsors of 2 scottish RU teams, meaning they will get loads of exposure when the two teams play on Sky.

This is seen as a triumph of marketing for BT sport as SKY will be inadvertently advertising their competitior.

If this is a ploy by BT, what is stopping them sponsoring the Superleague, therefore getting a ridiculous amount of exposure on SKY and beyond?

Is this something Sky would allow?  Is there a restriction in our TV contract with sky regarding naming rights?

Just wondering really....

#2 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:34 AM

along a similar vain...

ive never understood why sky don't allow 1 game aweek,a sunday game?, to be shown on the bbc.

if sky block booked all the advertising around the pitch,sky pitch adverts etc...it would basically be a 2 hour sky advert on the bbc.......everyones a winner imo

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#3 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:38 AM

Another subscription to pay ?
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#4 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:44 AM

Could this happen?  Could BT Sport sponsor Superleague?

I've just read an article stating that BT sport are now the main sponsors of 2 scottish RU teams, meaning they will get loads of exposure when the two teams play on Sky.

This is seen as a triumph of marketing for BT sport as SKY will be inadvertently advertising their competitior.

If this is a ploy by BT, what is stopping them sponsoring the Superleague, therefore getting a ridiculous amount of exposure on SKY and beyond?

Is this something Sky would allow?  Is there a restriction in our TV contract with sky regarding naming rights?

Just wondering really....

It's one thing BT sponsoring a couple of teams - especially as the only games played by those teams that will be shown on Sky will be in the European Cup - and quite another sponsoring an entire league.

I am sure Sky would have serious words with Super League if they tried that trick. Even if it was permitted for (say) next year, SL would run the risk of Sky telling them where to go when it's renewal time.

#5 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,766 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:54 AM

ive never understood why sky don't allow 1 game aweek,a sunday game?, to be shown on the bbc.

if sky block booked all the advertising around the pitch,sky pitch adverts etc...it would basically be a 2 hour sky advert on the bbc.......everyones a winner imo

Because Sky subscriptions would plummet among cash-strapped RL fans and then the next broadcast contract would offer the sport even less than the paltry amount it currently receives (and barely scrapes along with).

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#6 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

Because Sky subscriptions would plummet among cash-strapped RL fans and then the next broadcast contract would offer the sport even less than the paltry amount it currently receives (and barely scrapes along with).

would it balls....

and £135million is hardly a paltry amount

OLDHAM RLFC

#7 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 649 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

It's one thing BT sponsoring a couple of teams - especially as the only games played by those teams that will be shown on Sky will be in the European Cup - and quite another sponsoring an entire league.

I am sure Sky would have serious words with Super League if they tried that trick. Even if it was permitted for (say) next year, SL would run the risk of Sky telling them where to go when it's renewal time.

Maybe, but maybe it might swing the other way.  And the way things are going we are becoming less (although still very) dependent on sky.

With the emergence of BT as a serious competitor, and premier sports as a minor competitor, starting to get into bed with BT along with premier might make Sky take us more seriously, or at least make the bidding more competitive.

#8 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:17 AM

would it balls....

and £135million is hardly a paltry amount

They certainly would, a sky subscription is expensive and many people like myself only really get it for the Rugby League. However, if I knew I could watch one game a week for free then it would mean I'd seriously think about stopping my sub.

#9 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

They certainly would, a sky subscription is expensive and many people like myself only really get it for the Rugby League. However, if I knew I could watch one game a week for free then it would mean I'd seriously think about stopping my sub.

and im sure theres thousands of people,who don't have sky,who saw the warrington v hull game in sunday,who thought "how good was that..im signing up for sky so i can see more games like that"

also having a couple of hundred thousand viewers on sky plus a million plus viewers in the BBC will tempt higher profile sponsors....

OLDHAM RLFC

#10 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

I get the feeling BT are going to go with Union, it seems a better fit for them.

#11 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

and im sure theres thousands of people,who don't have sky,who saw the warrington v hull game in sunday,who thought "how good was that..im signing up for sky so i can see more games like that"

also having a couple of hundred thousand viewers on sky plus a million plus viewers in the BBC will tempt higher profile sponsors....

You forget you're looking at that game as an RL fan, of course it's the greatest game to you, just as Football fans, RU fans, netball fans think there game is the greatest game. Most non fans would think. That was ok, killed half an hour or so, now must go make tea.

#12 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

would it balls....

I think it would - if the BBC had 1 live game per round - they would have around 33 live club games per year, plus highlights of all the playoffs.

Add on top 3-8 live International games and suddenly there is a very real argument that the BBC is the new home of RL.

Why on earth would Sky allow this? This could only work if the BBC were prepared to invest tens of millions in RL, and that isn't going to happen. That many live games on the BBC would make the Sky deal very weak.

I have wondered whether they could strike a deal similar to a previous Football Championship deal which saw around 10 games a year broadcast live. 

#13 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

Just to be clear, the overnight rating was 898k. Which is about average for cup matches, so why would the BBC want to show a live game every week when a Dad's Army repeat can get 1.4m viewers? As it is they have cut back the number of cup games they shows in rounds 4 and 5 even though they normally have two all-Super League ties they could show.

Sky pay a premium for exclusivity, if you sell games to another channel it does not meant they will walk away, but the amount they pay will be less. Is it worth losing income in favour of greater exposure, assuming a major free to air channel was interested? The RFL thought that logic made sense recently, and were thoroughly lambasted for it.

Just to be clear, I agree but Sky will be showing the Celtic league from 2014 to replace their lost English Premiership coverage. Which is also when BT are hoping their power grab will see them showing European game instead anyway.

I would be shocked if the Sky contract did not prevent the RFL selling any major Super League sponsorship rights to rival broadcasters. It should be a standard clause in any agreement, including for all other sponsors. But clubs are separate businesses, which is why Hull and Warrington were both sponsored by Magners at the John Smith's Stadium in the Tetley's Challenge Cup.

#14 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

I think it would - if the BBC had 1 live game per round - they would have around 33 live club games per year, plus highlights of all the playoffs.

Add on top 3-8 live International games and suddenly there is a very real argument that the BBC is the new home of RL.

Why on earth would Sky allow this? This could only work if the BBC were prepared to invest tens of millions in RL, and that isn't going to happen. That many live games on the BBC would make the Sky deal very weak.

I have wondered whether they could strike a deal similar to a previous Football Championship deal which saw around 10 games a year broadcast live.

sky would still have over 100 games of super league plus live play offs,plus internationals a year...

plus dual tv rights seems to work for the NRL...why not here?

OLDHAM RLFC

#15 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

sky would still have over 100 games of super league plus live play offs,plus internationals a year...

It works in Aus cos it is practically the national sport, here it is a minority sport.

#16 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

If Sky attracts any subscribers due to RL, then it is because that is the only place you can watch SL live. If you can cancel Sky yet still watch Super League live then it becomes a completely different proposition.

It would certainly make me think twice as I only watch 1 game most weekends anyway and would go to the pub if I wanted the 2nd or 3rd one.

Sky don't show over 100 games, they show around 72 including playoffs. BBC have taken the main internationals it would appear.

The Aussie market is nothing like here. For starters, you have a terrestrial channel prepared to pay hundreds of millions of pounds per year for RL, that isn't the case over here. RL is one of the biggest TV draws over there, companies battle to get the rights, and showing every game makes sense.

We saw here that when every game is shown over a weekend (Magic Weekend) some of the figures are pathetically low, 53k on Sunday and 80k on Saturday.

If there was a genuine market for games 3 and 4 for SL then you could make a bomb from it, that's what happens with Football, the figures are great even for lower games, they aren't for RL.

#17 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

Just to be clear, the overnight rating was 898k. Which is about average for cup matches, so why would the BBC want to show a live game every week when a Dad's Army repeat can get 1.4m viewers? As it is they have cut back the number of cup games they shows in rounds 4 and 5 even though they normally have two all-Super League ties they could show.

Sky pay a premium for exclusivity, if you sell games to another channel it does not meant they will walk away, but the amount they pay will be less. Is it worth losing income in favour of greater exposure, assuming a major free to air channel was interested? The RFL thought that logic made sense recently, and were thoroughly lambasted for it.

Just to be clear, I agree but Sky will be showing the Celtic league from 2014 to replace their lost English Premiership coverage. Which is also when BT are hoping their power grab will see them showing European game instead anyway.

I would be shocked if the Sky contract did not prevent the RFL selling any major Super League sponsorship rights to rival broadcasters. It should be a standard clause in any agreement, including for all other sponsors. But clubs are separate businesses, which is why Hull and Warrington were both sponsored by Magners at the John Smith's Stadium in the Tetley's Challenge Cup.

Can you remember Manly winning the Coca Cola 7's wearing Pepsi shirts around 1995 :v

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#18 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

sky own the tv rights so they can show as many as they want..ie thursday nights,friday nights,saturday evenings & monday nights...so they can show over hundred if they wish...

OLDHAM RLFC

#19 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 756 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

Where BTSport will have a problem will be the summertime when there is no soccer or rugby union. I am a big sports fan but am unlikely to watch Ladies tennis unless it is a Grand Slam event. So they will need something to fill the schedules, could be rugby league, motorsport or international hockey or volleyball. Therefore there could be a possible bid when the rights are opened for bidding.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#20 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

sky own the tv rights so they can show as many as they want..ie thursday nights,friday nights,saturday evenings & monday nights...so they can show over hundred if they wish...

No, they can't.