Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Thursday Dilemma

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,227 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:08 AM

So I'm lucky enough to be staying in London on Thursday night with work which nicely coincides with the London v Leeds fixture.

Trouble is I'm struggling to find the enthusiasm to drag myself from Greenwich to Twickenham due to the poor form of London. Much as I want to see a Leeds win I don't want to see anything like Saturday's semi-final again from London.

So chastise me, entice me and help me decide between a few beers with colleagues (non rugby fans) and a nice meal or a bit of live RL in the capital...

#2 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

Live RL. Everytime. Not only do you get to watch your team, but it's one more bum on a seat for the broncos...

#3 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

Beer

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#4 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

Take the non-rugby fans to the match. More money in the coffers for the Broncos.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#5 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

So I'm lucky enough to be staying in London on Thursday night with work which nicely coincides with the London v Leeds fixture.

Trouble is I'm struggling to find the enthusiasm to drag myself from Greenwich to Twickenham due to the poor form of London. Much as I want to see a Leeds win I don't want to see anything like Saturday's semi-final again from London.

So chastise me, entice me and help me decide between a few beers with colleagues (non rugby fans) and a nice meal or a bit of live RL in the capital...

It's your team - never miss a chance. I am in a position/location where I can't go and watch live RL very often. My last live SL game was over a year ago. I'm sure a few Hull fans bottled out of going to the SF because their form was rubbish and they thought they might get tonked.

London may have been shamed into actually giving a damn this Thursday. Especially those Origin/Test/NRL GF players who seem to be taking a big pay cheque for minimum contribution.

#6 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

Just to be clear, it could be the last time Leeds will ever get to play at the Stoop. And 2 hard fought matches might have taken something out of Leeds that it could be a closer contest than it should be on paper.

#7 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

And it's only £15 to get in if you use the voucher from here:

http://iota.ecommzon...ca1ac0/home.htm

Just go.

#8 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,141 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

The beer and the meal hands down
You sound as though you might well not enjoy the rugby, which in the end is the whole point
You don't owe the broncos or the rhinos anything
The drinks and meal with your friends will almost certainly be a positive experience
The broncos rhinos game almost certainly won't
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#9 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

Stay over til Sunday and watch Skolars .v. Oldham. That will be a great game. Personally, I just don't put money through any Super league turnstiles unless they draw one of the championship clubs or amateur clubs that I like to watch.

#10 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

Just go.

This!

#11 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

thursday is a ridiculous day for a broncos home game. i can't see many loiners making the trek with work the day after......
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#12 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,939 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

Dont bother going. After that disgraceful effort last week you would only regret it.

#13 Gregory

Gregory
  • Coach
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:47 PM

Broncos season ticket holders can also take a friend for £10 and there's forty percent off in the club shop! You can't say the Broncos aren't trying to drum up support!

#14 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,141 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:49 PM

I really enjoy rugby league
But there are other things in life that trump it and that includes an evening out eating and drinking with friends
No brainer
Keeping it local

#15 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

I really enjoy rugby league
But there are other things in life that trump it and that includes an evening out eating and drinking with friends
No brainer

He said 'colleagues', not friends.
On my deathbed, I doubt I'll be saying 'I really wish I'd spent more time socially with my work colleagues'. I spend 40 hours a week with them. If I'm lucky, I spend 1.5 hours at a live game of rugby league.

Just go.

#16 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:29 PM

Broncos season ticket holders can also take a friend for £10 and there's forty percent off in the club shop! You can't say the Broncos aren't trying to drum up support!

good on them but thursday is still a stupid day to have a match
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#17 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

My Leeds Rhinos supporting mate, who I had a drink with at Oldham .v. Crusaders on Sunday, tells me that he had already booked time off work, trains and hotels for the original date. I wonder how many more did that? Do you think the RFL or Sky should reimburse those people?

Edited by Celtic Rooster, 30 July 2013 - 04:40 PM.

#18 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,141 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

He said 'colleagues', not friends.
On my deathbed, I doubt I'll be saying 'I really wish I'd spent more time socially with my work colleagues'. I spend 40 hours a week with them. If I'm lucky, I spend 1.5 hours at a live game of rugby league.

Just go.

Fair point
I quite like the people I deal with in my daily life and at least I know them the drink will be decent as will be the food rather than fizzy swill and sludge in transfer laden 'pastry'

There are several things I'd rather do instead of go to a rugby league game pleasurable (unless you find yourself next to a foul mouthed drunken cretin) though that is
Keeping it local

#19 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 435 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

Take your friends to the rugby and have a beer there and meal after the game ( or a pie at half-time) !

Also, report back on kieran Dixon and Dan sarginson, heard good things about them.

Peter

#20 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 743 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:27 PM

My Leeds Rhinos supporting mate, who I had a drink with at Oldham .v. Crusaders on Sunday, tells me that he had already booked time off work, trains and hotels for the original date. I wonder how many more did that? Do you think the RFL or Sky should reimburse those people?

Absolutely. Write to the head honcho with why you should get a refund. If they say "No" write back and ask to meet them to discuss.

I've done it twice and got a legitimate ticket refund twice plus expenses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users