Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hull KR to continue their Aussie shopping?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

Is he any good?  :huh:

http://www.thisishul...l#axzz2aWwiINV3

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#2 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

I rate him quite highly, he's always looked a little a bit hit and miss to me but he's a lively player with a good all round game. I doubt that he'll be able to control matches as well as Dobson has but he's not a bad replacement.  

#3 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:13 PM

He's not a bad larker at all. He was an ever-present last season and played in the grand final. He has been out of favour this season, with Trent Hodkinson being the preferred choice. I'd be more than happy with his signature.

#4 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:34 PM

Is he any good?  :huh:

He's OK but nowhere near as good as Dobson IMO.

He was dropped by Canterbury early this season as he was unable to direct play for the team.  The absence of James Graham and Sam Kasiano ( who take first and second man plays a lot) exposed his poor decision making and leadership.

If KR want a good support player with a fairly good kicking game he will fit the bill.  If he is being lined up as a direct replacement for Dobson I fear they may be very disapointed. 

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#5 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

good to see rovers are promoting british talent.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#6 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,209 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:41 PM

Their isn't any quality English half backs in SL knocking about to fill the gap Dobson has left, I'm not surprised they've gone to Aus to find one.

Suppose they could put Wigan cast offs in at half back though.

Edited by barrowraiderskid, 30 July 2013 - 04:41 PM.

#7 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

All quality signings, none of whom will have come cheap.

#8 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

Typical Hull KR. Waste of space in Super League. They may as well play in the NRL, as every player there is Australian
Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

All quality signings, none of whom will have come cheap.

Indeed, I'd imagine this trio of signings (assuming Keating does sign) will take up a hefty chunk of the salary cap. I expect you could say the same of our overseas players though and to be fair to Hull KR these three should prove to be money well spent, as you say they all have quality.

Edited by MrFussy, 30 July 2013 - 06:01 PM.

#10 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:00 PM

Typical Hull KR. Waste of space in Super League. They may as well play in the NRL, as every player there is Australian

Tin hat time for you mate.  :biggrin:

(Actually, might I suggest a nuclear bunker?)

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#11 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

I was assured by people that with no relegation in place British talent would be given a chance. It looks like i was lied to.

#12 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:54 PM

Keating is poor jacob Miller will be a real talent next season he will explode onto the scene of rugby and I can see him going back to oz in 2 yrs

#13 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

I was assured by people that with no relegation in place British talent would be given a chance. It looks like i was lied to.

Have you not heard? It's battle royale time next year; seriously doubt KR will be the only club waving hefty contracts in front of Aussies in a bid to avoid being in the bottom two.

#14 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:09 PM

Have you not heard? It's battle royale time next year; seriously doubt KR will be the only club waving hefty contracts in front of Aussies in a bid to avoid being in the bottom two.

I doubt if he's on big money. or Rovers are daft if they are paying him big money, as he's a below average player in my opinion. Probably coming over here as no NRL club was interested in him. Poor signing i think.

#15 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 569 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

Old toaster, your ability to analyse the relative Aussie content of the 14 Super League squads is admirable.

And if you think Rovers are a waste of space then I apologise that we have won 12 games already this season.

Is every player in NRL Australian ......you are truly an idiot (read what you wrote).

Rovers record re aussie imports since their recent entry into SL is (with a notable exception) admirable. Real talent brought in on a tight budget, within salary cap and RL nationality rules.

Waste of space, my arris.

#16 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:33 PM

Who's the notable exception Steve?....

(Joins Goldcoaster in nuclear bunker....)

#17 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 569 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

Probably Sharon...any other names come to mind?

Goldisaster ....predictive text is an art form...reminds me why I joined the Forum....such disrespect for a club that adds so much to the game!

#18 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:47 PM

Ah but the threat of automatic relegation is threatening to return. Thus all bets are off and its back to (or in some cases don't stop) buying in ready made players as opposed to blooding your own.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#19 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:46 PM

Nah mate, haven't you heard, the salary cap has put a stop to all that?

It should do as long as it's not abused...

#20 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:47 AM

Poor buy by HKR. I watched the doggies a fair bit last year and even in a good team he's was just average, he only got his chance because of Hodkinsons injuries. Josh Reynolds made most of their plays and guided the team around and Keating was very much just a supporting kicker