TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Bradford Council Ticketing Rip-Off

Bingley Festival

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,844 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:08 PM

I've just bought three tickets for the Bingley Music Festival. The tickets were: -

- advertised at and printed at £45 apiece

- for a Festival run by Bradford Council in a Bradford Council Park

- bought from the Bradford Council Tourist Information Office

- charged at £49.50 apiece, to allow for a handling fee.

In providing me with these tickets directly for a cash sale, Bradford Council hasn't had to do any postage or internet transaction or process a credit card. It certainly hasn't done any more "handling" for three tickets than it would for just one.

I think festival goers are being robbed or, at best, misled.

It is impossible to buy a ticket for the advertised sum.

I've a good mind to contact Trading Standards except I haven't got the time.

<_<  <_<

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#2 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

Handling and admin fees along with surcharges are just an excuse to make money in a very easy and lazy way.

I should have been charges £9 for changing a name on a hire car booking but it was waived. However if I make any changes to my car insurance there is a £25 'admin fee'.

#3 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,463 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:55 PM

Where the private sector leads the public sector follows
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#4 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:34 PM

I had a similar albeit much cheaper 'scam'
Bought 8 tickets for the Liverpool Organic beer festival in St George's Hall in Sept. £8 each plus 38p booking fee, which was added to each ticket, then got all the tickets emailed on a PDF so I have to print them at my expense.

I know it's only pence we are talking, but why charge 38p booking fee, just make the ticket price £8:50 and be done with it

#5 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,844 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

Exactly, people would know where they stood if Bradford Council charged an upfront £49.50. It wouldn't deter people from going. The current practice is going to leave purchasers with a sense of grievance.

#6 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,348 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:23 PM

Bought 8 tickets for the Liverpool Organic beer festival in St George's Hall in Sept. £8 each plus 38p booking fee, which was added to each ticket, then got all the tickets emailed on a PDF so I have to print them at my expense.

I know it's only pence we are talking, but why charge 38p booking fee, just make the ticket price £8:50 and be done with it

My wife bought tickets for the RHS Tatton Park Flower show and was charged £1.70 per ticket for the privilege of printing the tickets off at our expense on our own printer.

Its an utter and complete scam.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:13 AM

I'm sure this is something to do with a law that states that the 'handling fee' needs to be split out and transparent so it cant just be included in the price. Makes no sense whatsoevrr but sure i read something like that!

#8 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,156 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:11 AM

In the case of LOB, they use a third party provider, Eventbrite, to do their on-line bookings.I would imagine the 38p is their fee. 38p is a very small charge for this sort of thing.

By the way, which day are you going? I have tickets for the Friday evening.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#9 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,752 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:25 AM

I'm sure this is something to do with a law that states that the 'handling fee' needs to be split out and transparent so it cant just be included in the price. Makes no sense whatsoevrr but sure i read something like that!

That explanation seems reasonable, otherwise the council  would be desperate to avoid the forums opprobrium by pricing the  Bingley Music Festival tickets at £50 each.

#10 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

In the case of LOB, they use a third party provider, Eventbrite, to do their on-line bookings.I would imagine the 38p is their fee. 38p is a very small charge for this sort of thing.

By the way, which day are you going? I have tickets for the Friday evening.

Saturday afternoon then on round the south end of the centre, probably start in the Swan and aim for the Phil via a few discernable establishments

it's not the value of the surcharge I know it's trivial, why not just include everything in one price.

#11 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,752 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

part of the answer here: http://www.nme.com/n...s-artists/69641

#12 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,844 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:42 PM

I have received an e-mailed response to my complaint from Bradford Council.

The paragraph that I have highlighted completely glosses over the facts that: -

-  the organisers and selling agents are the very same local government rganisation

-  the tourist office premises and personnel are employed full time, whether they sell festival tickets or not

-  the tickets are not available at the advertised and printed price

Thank you for your  email regarding the ticketing at Bingley Music Live.

Bingley Music Live sets the ticket price as it sees appropriate to manage the festival and provide a 3 day programme of entertainment at a reasonable cost to the public. This is the face value of the ticket.

Unfortunately, the team that manage the festival do not have the means or resources to sell tickets directly to the public and as such sell tickets via a variety of ticketing agents. Agents include See Tickets as an on-line agent and other 'over the counter' agents which include a number of private businesses as well as some Council outlets that have facilities for dealing with cash and card transactionsThese other Council facilities are not related to the department that organise Bingley Music Live.

None of the ticketing agents are in a position to sell tickets at just face value hence why they charge a booking/handling fee to cover their time and administration in selling the tickets. This includes the Council outlets who are selling tickets on our behalf and have associated costs in doing so.

We request that no ticketing agent charges any more than 10% of the face value of the ticket in line with the on-line agent. The indication of a booking fee is clearly advertised on the Bingley Music Live website, on all printed promotional material and on the tickets themselves.

Booking fees applied to tickets by ticketing agents is standard practice. Some examples include:

Beacons

Weekend Ticket                -     £99.50 + £11.94

V Festival

Weekend Ticket                -     £185 + £10.95
Weekend (no camping)    -     £160 + £10.15

Leeds

Weekend Ticket                -     £202.50 + £8
Day                                     -     £90 + £7

We do operate an on-site ticket office at Myrtle Park over the festival weekend.  Tickets at this location do not include a booking fee but are priced at a higher rate. This is common practice to encourage advance sales but also to cover the costs of resourcing the ticket office and providing infrastructure costs. Advance notice to customers regarding 'on the day' ticket costs will be publicised nearer the event.

Thank you for your comments, as with all correspondence we receive it will be fed into our post event de-brief and considered in planning for the 2014 festival.

#13 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

So the ticket price is set at a price that none can get?

Everyone has to pay the handling fee, then the ticket price is the price for the event plus the price of admin to sell the ticket.

#14 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,348 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:49 PM

Surely Bradford Council should set the ticket price at a price where they can offer resellers a discount. That's how everything else in the world works.

If I make Widgets I have a price at which I wish to sell them, I set that price at a level that allows me to sell to bulk resellers at a discount and they just sell on at the the face value.

Its bloody simple.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#15 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,752 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:49 PM

so I bet Ticketmaster buy at that discount then sell at list plus a "booking " fee.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users