Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bradford

Statement

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#1 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

Bit too close for comfort, hope all is well

http://www.bradfordb...-from-omar-khan

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#2 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

Great that the club is being transparent though, as long as the board are doing that and trying their best fans can't really ask for more IMO.

Hope they get through it and have better times ahead.

#3 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:04 PM

Tough times, plenty of unsubstantiated rumours about Wakey too.

#4 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,941 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

I like the honesty.

#5 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:57 PM

I wish they had been honest last week, when they first didn't pay the players. 

People called Romans they go the house

#6 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

Given that they are trying to operate on half the central funding of other clubs, is it any wonder that they are struggling?  I have no idea why they have experienced such unique punishment but it should stop so that they have at least an even chance of finding level ground.

#7 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

Didn't they get an advance on their sky money at some point?

Shame if this is the start of long term funding issues as next year they are on restricted funds as well.

#8 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:50 PM

Nobody should take any pleasure from this. If pro RL isn't viable in Bradford, there aren't that many places where it will work.

Come on you Bulls!

#9 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

Nobody should take any pleasure from this.

I'm not aware that anybody is.

#10 carlos

carlos
  • Coach
  • 417 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

The punishment of withdrawing the TV money only punishes the game itself as one of the great clubs potentially disappears forever.

#11 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:03 PM

Given that they are trying to operate on half the central funding of other clubs, is it any wonder that they are struggling?  I have no idea why they have experienced such unique punishment but it should stop so that they have at least an even chance of finding level ground.

Because they thought taxes were for other people. They should have gone.

#12 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:09 PM

There just has to be more to the central funding point than meets the eye. As has been pointed out, half funding for two years would be a fine of around £1.2m which would be unprecedented and a little strange for a club struggling financially.

I'm sure the Bradford owners could tell us the reason for this if they wanted to.

#13 LeeF

LeeF
  • Coach
  • 739 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

But they knew about the reduced funding at the start of the season so this shouldn't be the reason

#14 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 747 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

Because they thought taxes were for other people. They should have gone.

Tough one this as the history of Bradford is part of the fabric of our great game. Can't imagine any true RL fan enjoying what's happened them.

BUT - this country has a growing number of people who knowingly break the law and show disregard for whoever it affects. When they get caught and subsequently punished they want "support" to get through it.

If you can't do the time - don't commit the crime....

#15 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:20 PM

Tough one this as the history of Bradford is part of the fabric of our great game. Can't imagine any true RL fan enjoying what's happened them.

BUT - this country has a growing number of people who knowingly break the law and show disregard for whoever it affects. When they get caught and subsequently punished they want "support" to get through it.

If you can't do the time - don't commit the crime....

But if there was anything dodgy re taxes or the lost hundreds of thousands given by the fans, for example, that was the responsibility of the previous regime and not the present one, so why is the present one being punished?

#16 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:21 PM

All clubs are part of the history of our game. I fail to see your point.

#17 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 747 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

All clubs are part of the history of our game. I fail to see your point.

Wish I'd done English at school...

You're correct, all clubs are part if the fabric but some have a bigger standing in the game.

Much as I hate the phrase, they are and have been a very big part of the brand of RL - a club that is known across the globe.

Clubs like Bradford can't do what they did and expect no consequence. They have to set an example.

#18 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 747 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

But if there was anything dodgy re taxes or the lost hundreds of thousands given by the fans, for example, that was the responsibility of the previous regime and not the present one, so why is the present one being punished?

I don't think you can just wash it away like that.

There has to be accountability regardless of who has their name above the door.

#19 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,808 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:45 PM

Given that they are trying to operate on half the central funding of other clubs, is it any wonder that they are struggling? I have no idea why they have experienced such unique punishment but it should stop so that they have at least an even chance of finding level ground.

What rubbish, nobody forced them to accept the terms. It was the price of buying their place in SL. They had a choice - 50% of SL money or 100% of Championship money. They took a chance on the SL income, nobody to blame but themselves.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#20 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,863 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

BUT - this country has a growing number of people who knowingly break the law and show disregard for whoever it affects. When they get caught and subsequently punished they want "support" to get through it. If you can't do the time - don't commit the crime....

It's not a crime to go into administration and Mr. Khan has taken them out of administration in a gracious fashion, you should keep such accusations off here, and note The Bradford board were nothing to do with any wrongdoing. At a time when Superleague needs every big club firing on all cylinders to slash the funding of the new regime was the game shooting itself in the foot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users