Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bradford

Statement

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#21 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,180 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:48 PM

They had a choice - 50% of SL money or 100% of Championship money.

Great choice. Both pretty rubbish options.

#22 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:52 PM

Great choice. Both pretty rubbish options.

Maybe, but at least they had a choice unlike the likes of Fev, Fax etc

The fact that the people of Bradford haven't exactly flocked to support them hasn't helped either.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#23 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:53 PM

It's not a crime to go into administration and Mr. Khan has taken them out of administration in a gracious fashion, you should keep such accusations off here, and note The Bradford board were nothing to do with any wrongdoing. At a time when Superleague needs every big club firing on all cylinders to slash the funding of the new regime was the game shooting itself in the foot.

People who end up not getting paid when an organisation goes into administration might disagree with you about it not being a crime.

At best it's irresponsible.

Maybe they need to get over to Post Office Road and see how they are running things....?

#24 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,180 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:00 PM

People who end up not getting paid when an organisation goes into administration might disagree with you about it not being a crime.

We had 100 pages of this stuff when Bradford went bust.

Suffice to say I've lost money with companies going bust, but it's up to me to not let them owe me too much or take a chance. Besides bad debts can be factored into pricing. These people do not mean to struggle, and often start again and I'm able to get back on track with them. I think Mr. Khan was very honourable in this matter and Bradford's demise was more "understandable" than a crime.

#25 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,180 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:03 PM

Very sad that it looks like the BB are in the pooh again,the problem is at present on the revenue streams that some clubs have it is simply not a sustainable business model.

We need a solid 10 team SL with meaningful fixtures and a proper 3 match international test series every year.

Oh and Toulouse in PDQ.

All the current talk of a 8 8 8 or whatever is simply just papering over the cracks with 3/4 SL clubs on the brink yet again can anyone on here tell me how anything other than the above will work?

CM

I can't and would not dare to as you have the Cliff Spracklen seal of approval. You also have Shaun Wane indicating change is needed due to "3/4 SL clubs on the brink yet again" and I wouldn't argue with him either.

#26 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:52 PM

Suffice to say I've lost money with companies going bust, but it's up to me to not let them owe me too much or take a chance. Besides bad debts can be factored into pricing. These people do not mean to struggle, and often start again and I'm able to get back on track with them. I think Mr. Khan was very honourable in this matter and Bradford's demise was more "understandable" than a crime.

The best outcome for me is that they work through this & come back stronger.

I've watched them over the last 40 years (normally leaving Odsal with nothing!) and would not want to see them in dire straights

#27 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

You seem to be makeing a good case for nobody getting involved with investing in League, or have i read that wrong?

We all seem to be assuming the worst here, maybe it's exactly what the man has said. I dont think Bradford have had many home games lately so that could well be a big factor.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#28 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:10 PM

Very sad that it looks like the BB are in the pooh again,the problem is at present on the revenue streams that some clubs have it is simply not a sustainable business model.

We need a solid 10 team SL with meaningful fixtures and a proper 3 match international test series every year.

Oh and Toulouse in PDQ.

All the current talk of a 8 8 8 or whatever is simply just papering over the cracks with 3/4 SL clubs on the brink yet again can anyone on here tell me how anything other than the above will work?

CM

I actually agree with you for once.

#29 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,093 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:28 PM

The problem here isn't just a Bradford one, its a general RL one. 

We don't build clubs, we build teams and encourage people to support the team. Worst still we rely on people supporting a winning team. Once that team falters or doesn't perform the reason for supporting the team diminishes.

We need to build clubs, clubs where people have an affiliation to the people involved and the other members of the club, the team should be secondary.

Being a member of a club is different to being a supporter of a team.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#30 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,180 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:40 PM

You seem to be making a good case for nobody getting involved with investing in League, or have i read that wrong?

Not at all, but if you trade with organisations who by their very nature don't make profits, then you run the risk of some bad debts.

I'm sure suppliers know the risk they take and will make enough to offset any money owing when it all goes belly up.

I'd guess local suppliers love to be involved with their local RL or soccer club, and once the new man comes in after belly up, they will go back for more.

The moral agonising ain't the real world.

Edited by The Parksider, 30 July 2013 - 09:42 PM.

#31 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:47 PM

We don't build clubs, we build teams and encourage people to support the team. Worst still we rely on people supporting a winning team. Once that team falters or doesn't perform the reason for supporting the team diminishes.

We need to build clubs, clubs where people have an affiliation to the people involved and the other members of the club, the team should be secondary.

Spot on.

That's why a vibrant youth system is key. So are teams at various age levels.

Back in the day I knew loads of people who preferred to watch the A team at Cas rather than the first team. They had a connection with it and it kept the roots of the club healthy. Worked better than DR and the standard was ok

#32 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:50 PM

The punishment of withdrawing the TV money only punishes the game itself as one of the great clubs potentially disappears forever.

For what will be the third time.This "great" title is getting somewhat devalued.

#33 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:00 PM

Oh and Toulouse in PDQ.

CM

The Bulls are likely to be at the bottom of a ten team Sl if they, in fact, make the cut. Their already low crowds will fall farther. How is this scenario going to save their hides. A 10 team league has to have someone at the bottom and that team will likely not do very well.

#34 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,172 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

The Bulls are likely to be at the bottom of a ten team Sl if they, in fact, make the cut. Their already low crowds will fall farther. How is this scenario going to save their hides. A 10 team league has to have someone at the bottom and that team will likely not do very well.

I thought the 10-team league had been abandoned (not that it was ever on the cards). It's going to be a 12-team league.

#35 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,007 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:16 AM

It looks like the Bulls alongside Cas, Wakey, London, Hull KR, Salford, Widnes are in the mix to be relegated.

#36 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:20 AM

Inevitable.

#37 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:25 AM

Great that the club is being transparent though, as long as the board are doing that and trying their best fans can't really ask for more IMO.

Hope they get through it and have better times ahead.

transparent.............unlike some i could mention.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#38 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:29 AM

brilliant post padge.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#39 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

transparent.............unlike some i could mention.

Tends to be the club's who go into administration.

#40 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:20 AM

Tends to be the club's who go into administration.

or blatantly cheat on the salary cap.............and get deducted 29 points as a consequence

Edited by Viking Warrior, 31 July 2013 - 09:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users