Operational Rules

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#21 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

if they are the same ones that the north east league are operating under this season then yes I have seen them and saw nothing wildly controversial. If they are new to ALL clubs in the last month then no I haven't as my 3 month old daughter has taken up my time recently. That was why I asked the question...

Nobody is operating to the Final Draft OR document that is currently out for consultation.

So, its unlikely you have had sight of a copy given what you have just posted.

:read:

#22 Wilber

Wilber
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:16 PM

Not quite true J, those that didn't have an operating set have the basic form of the OR to work on. however this was only given to RFL administered leagues who needed to get underway in March just gone, of which I believe the North east would have been one of them

They are the same but new changes for them will be implemented next March, and for reference that will be the rules that everyone agrees to. The rules that don't get agreed, by all leagues, will  become competition rules for each individual leagues

Edited by Wilber, 05 August 2013 - 06:18 PM.

#23 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

Not quite true J, those that didn't have an operating set have the basic form of the OR to work on. however this was only given to RFL administered leagues who needed to get underway in March just gone, of which I believe the North east would have been one of them

They are the same but new changes for them will be implemented next March, and for reference that will be the rules that everyone agrees to. The rules that don't get agreed, by all leagues, will  become competition rules for each individual leagues

The basic form and the final draft are two different documents, with I would summise a number of considerable differences.

And given the poster has only seen the basic form, its possibly in his or his clubs interest to understand fully what they could be agreeing to outside of what already exists.

#24 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

So effectively dual registration could still be brought in as a competition rule rather than an operational rule if its not accepted by all?

Edited by LordCharles, 05 August 2013 - 06:31 PM.

#25 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,290 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

To standardise the rules for all non-professional leagues seems a blindingly obvious move, to have it done by the governing body is again obvious.

I agree.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#26 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

I agree.

With all due respect, there are certain issues surrounding the OR's that will definately not effect clubs from Bedford and the NE, so what you may agree on, may be purely down to your lack of understanding of the effects on Clubs in the NWC or Yorkshire.

So its about understanding the possible implications for ALL Leagues and not just your own.

#27 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,290 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

Which part of,

"To standardise the rules for all non-professional leagues seems a blindingly obvious move, to have it done by the governing body is again obvious."

Do you object to?

Standard rules a problem?  Governing body governing a problem? 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#28 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:53 PM

The issue then, tunnelling under the obfuscation and rhetoric seems to be dual registration - is that correct?
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#29 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:55 PM

Which part of,

"To standardise the rules for all non-professional leagues seems a blindingly obvious move, to have it done by the governing body is again obvious."

Do you object to?

Standard rules a problem?  Governing body governing a problem? 

Have you any idea of what the OR Final Draft contains?...........furthermore have you any idea of the areas it does'nt cover?.............further on from that have you any idea of the policy/rulings already agreed that are to be written in at a later date that the clubs will not see within the copy Final Draft that is currently in their hands?

Maybe I've just answered my own questions with a resounding barrage of NO's!

#30 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

The issue then, tunnelling under the obfuscation and rhetoric seems to be dual registration - is that correct?

There are far more issues than just dual registration.

#31 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:11 PM

There are far more issues than just dual registration.

So set them out, as you would know if you had seen my thoughts on the reorganisation of SL and dual reg in the pro game I will call the RFL when they deserve it
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#32 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:13 PM

Have you any idea of what the OR Final Draft contains?...........furthermore have you any idea of the areas it does'nt cover?.............further on from that have you any idea of the policy/rulings already agreed that are to be written in at a later date that the clubs will not see within the copy Final Draft that is currently in their hands?

Maybe I've just answered my own questions with a resounding barrage of NO's!

to be fair in very few sports would you know what was rejected

#33 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:18 PM

So set them out, as you would know if you had seen my thoughts on the reorganisation of SL and dual reg in the pro game I will call the RFL when they deserve it

I have, as have many others, via the correct channels.

#34 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:16 PM

I agree.

We've had a set of standard rules we all have played with for 40 years

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#35 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:31 PM

We've had a set of standard rules we all have played with for 40 years

Were they unchanging? Or did they keep adapting to deal with new circumstances?

#36 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

I have, as have many others, via the correct channels.

The world has changed, sometimes you need to win hearts and minds ahead of the formal debate and create an unstoppable movement to achieve your aims.

#37 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:51 PM

Were they unchanging? Or did they keep adapting to deal with new circumstances?

Yes evolution!!!

They adapted after new problems aroused, you know little ones, like mardy coaches or parents taking their son and mates from club `A` to club `B` which left club `A` unable to fulfil fixtures because of the lack of numbers (I'm sure someone on here will know which rule/law will cover this) the same laws that are going to be removed with the operational rules.

The elite amateur clubs where chosen probably 5 or 6 years ago and the RFL controlled service areas DID direct the better juniors towards these clubs simply by telling mams and dads if your son what's to make it he should go to club; X,Y & Z

How do I know this, Dave Marshall who was then the CEO of Doncaster RLFC phoned me from the RFL meeting where clubs where told this had to happen, we ended up losing two aged group teams simply because we lost half a team from each team to another local club who had been chosen by the RFL.

#38 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:56 PM

The world has changed, sometimes you need to win hearts and minds ahead of the formal debate and create an unstoppable movement to achieve your aims.

You've just described what the RFL have been doing for over 15 years.

#39 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

You've just described what the RFL have been doing for over 15 years.

No, I've just described what pretty much everyone and every organisation does. It is taught as a management technique when trying to get a large group of people onside. It's blindingly obvious that you need to convince people.

Anyway, is this a précis of the new rules;

Below you will find updates from the latest meeting.

Latest Update - 26/07/13

MEDICAL STANDARDS

Background
Following the tragic death of Christopher Brown following incidents on the field of play in September 2009 the Game was criticised by the Coroner who raised a number of concerns as follows:

a)    that there was no single set of Rules governing the Game;
B)    that there was no guidance on managing head injuries in the Community Game;
c)    that there was no system of training first aiders for the Community Game; and
d)    That the match was allowed to continue while a player had collapsed on the field.

Information to Clubs 
Specifically with regard to First Aid and injured players, the RFL is drafting a booklet setting out each club and volunteer’s responsibility in this area.  The booklet will require each club to carry out its own risk assessment but will set out general recommendations covering duty of care, risk assessment, first aid provision, management of head injuries, protection against blood borne diseases, record keeping, equipment and anti-doping. It will be provided both as a hard copy and as a download from the RFL website.

Head Injuries
The poster circulated to clubs in 2010 will be revised and re-circulated. The protocols set out on the poster will also be included in the booklet. 

Training First Aiders
The RFL has reached an agreement with the FA to access its First Aid courses, specifically the FA Emergency First Aid and Basic First Aid for Sport.  The RFL will be able to provide these courses, with joint FA/RFL branding, to volunteers at a cost of £15. Subject to approval, the roll out of courses will begin in July 2013 with courses offered on a regional basis in the North West, Yorkshire and London/Midlands/Wales.  Alternatively individual clubs will be able to book a course as for volunteers at its club. The course will be relevant for coaches, first aiders, volunteers and match officials. The course will not be compulsory and first aiders who have alternative approved qualifications will be able to continue using these prior qualifications.

Protocols for Injury
The requirement to stop play (and if necessary abandon the match) to allow a player to be treated and other relevant protocols will be included in the booklet.

Recommendation
The Community Board to note the actions being taken by the RFL to ensure appropriate First Aid provision is being made across the Community Game.

CLUB RISK ASSESSMENT

David Gent reported that a Hard Grounds Policy had been signed off and guidelines were in place to cover the size of pitches. As legislation was in place through COSHH and the Health & Safety at Work Act to cover other areas of the ground, there was general agreement that introducing additional rules on risk assessments at clubs was unnecessary.

AGE BANDINGS

Following discussion at the previous meeting, Hilary Steel felt the age bandings for the 2014 season should remain as follows:

Age Group               True age range        Plus extra age range
Under 16s/Year 11    1.9.97 – 31.8.98    1.9.98 – 31.8.99
Under 18s/Year 13    1.1.95 – 31.8.96    1.9.96 – 31.8.97

This would require players to re-register by the end of February for a March start with a final transfer date of the end of August.

Stuart Prior disagreed with this point and felt the extra age range for players could cause some confusion.

There was general consensus that the age bandings should follow academic school years.

RECOGNITION OF RFL MEMBER AND RFL AFFILIATED LEAGUES

The last 18 months have seen considerable changes in the way that leagues are managed and administered and their formal legal arrangement with the RFL. Groups have emerged which in effect are operated by the RFL and are formally a part of the legal and corporate governance of the RFL, e.g. North West Men’s League, and a second group of leagues which are in effect separate legal entities to the RFL but are affiliated to the RFL via one of the members of the RFL Community Board.

It is therefore proposed to use the following definitions to describe leagues at tiers 3 and 4 operating in the community game:

• Definition 1 – RFL Member League.  This is a league which is wholly operated by the RFL, e.g. Yorkshire Men’s League, and in every sense under the direct jurisdiction     and legal control of the RFL.

• Definition 2 – RFL Affiliated League. This is a league which has a separate legal status to that of the RFL but is affiliated to the RFL via one of the bodies of the RFL Community Board and is operating to the operational rules etc., e.g. North West     Counties 13 to 15s.

Recommendation
That the Community Board approves the two definitions above to describe community leagues under the jurisdiction of the RFL.

TO NOTE THE PROGRESS OF THE DEVELOPMENT OF REGULATORY POLICY IN A NUMBER OF AREAS

The Community Dual Registration Policy
This requires further consultation with the Community Game to assess its viability and the impact it could have at Tiers 3 and 4. This is also linked to the wider Policy Review taking place at present.

The Under 18 Academy Player Policy
This needs to be re-worded and then further consultation is required with the relevant sections of the game to assess its impact. This is also linked to the wider Policy Review taking place at present.

The Community Game Sentencing Policy
This needs to be consulted upon as part of the roll out of the Operational Rules. In     particular, there are concerns about the policing of the policy and the sharing of information.

Operational Rules
A consultation copy of the rules has been distributed to all community league management groups and a consultation period started on the 16 June 2013 and ends on the 16 September 2013. The final set of rules for approval will be presented to the October Community Board.

Respect
Several new courses are in the process of being drafted including an updated version of the Touchline Manager’s Course. Once drafted, several League Management Groups will be asked to feedback and engage in pilot schemes to consider the way forward.

A letter from Steve McNamara and Kevin Sinfield highlighting the values that Rugby League holds in high regard was sent in May to all junior registered players and the new Magic Shirt Video highlighting aspects of RESPECT is now available to watch on YouTube.

Other elements of the campaign will be reported on as matters progress but it is expected most elements of the campaign will become operational to coincide with the coming into force of the Operational Rules.

Commercial sponsorship of RFL community leagues
At present the RFL is working with a small working group of leagues to establish a clear set of guidelines on commercial arrangements in the Community Game between the RFL and its member and affiliated leagues. The guidelines will cover the following 4 areas:

1.    Clarity that leagues have the right to sell rights relating to matches in that league.
2.    Clarify that only the RFL has the right to sell rights relating to the RFL (logos, designations, tickets to central matches, etc.) or rights that relate to the whole Community Game.
3.    Include a requirement that leagues notify the RFL of any commercial deals they conduct.
4.    Include a requirement for leagues to provide the RFL such inventory at matches as is required from time to time by the Community Game Commercial Code of Conduct agreed from time to time by the Community Board

The exact legal framework will be presented to the October Board for approval.

#40 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:02 PM

Yes evolution!!!

They adapted after new problems aroused, you know little ones, like mardy coaches or parents taking their son and mates from club `A` to club `B` which left club `A` unable to fulfil fixtures because of the lack of numbers (I'm sure someone on here will know which rule/law will cover this) the same laws that are going to be removed with the operational rules.

The elite amateur clubs where chosen probably 5 or 6 years ago and the RFL controlled service areas DID direct the better juniors towards these clubs simply by telling mams and dads if your son what's to make it he should go to club; X,Y & Z

How do I know this, Dave Marshall who was then the CEO of Doncaster RLFC phoned me from the RFL meeting where clubs where told this had to happen, we ended up losing two aged group teams simply because we lost half a team from each team to another local club who had been chosen by the RFL.

Or did they direct to clubs with level 2 or level 3 coaches?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users