• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#141 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:51 PM

Still no clearer. Your club or NWC?

Our little mob is of course Nwc Juniors ,don't think any club can lose 300 players ?

Not sure of the decline in numbers at OA but looking at the number of 24-0 each week I think it must be on a parallel ,and interesting to note how many NCL reserve teams cant put a side out .

#142 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:27 AM

Our little mob is of course Nwc Juniors ,don't think any club can lose 300 players ?

Not sure of the decline in numbers at OA but looking at the number of 24-0 each week I think it must be on a parallel ,and interesting to note how many NCL reserve teams cant put a side out .

Correct, some NCL sides are currently operating without a reserve side, in my area Wigan , within a a four mile area 4 NCL teams are struggling turning out an A team, including St pats, sorry 4 for us, but I was drinking with your 2nd team coach Saturday and he was relieved that the opponents call the game off before he had to

#143 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:50 AM

Er teams in winter based youth leagues ( such as the Yorkshire Combination Youth League) struggling to fulfill fixtures because they can't raise a team.

Er .. what age group and when

#144 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

U18. I can't remember the exact dates. Are you suggesting that no Yorkshire Combination Youth League U18 games were postponed in last season due to teams being unable to raise a side? There were plenty. I cancelled some and had some cancelled on me.

As for NCL sides operating without reserve teams so what? Premiership Football clubs with all the money and playing resources you could possibly want operate without reserve sides. In reality it may be that in playing terms having an 'A' team is of no real benefit to the NCL side because of the differing playing standards between the respective leagues. This may be a key factor in weather to run an A team.

Other clubs may take the view that they want to run an A side because they have sufficient playing interest and it will provide additional revenue. There's plenty of examples of both out there. I don't see any right or wrong answer or summer / winter issue. Each club to its own.

#145 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,328 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:50 AM

Er .. what age group and when

Our summer players (U15/U16) were asked to play for a couple of winter sides who needed players. When ours came back, one of those teams failed to complete the season.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#146 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:05 AM

U18. I can't remember the exact dates. Are you suggesting that no Yorkshire Combination Youth League U18 games were postponed in last season due to teams being unable to raise a side? There were plenty. I cancelled some and had some cancelled on me.

As for NCL sides operating without reserve teams so what? Premiership Football clubs with all the money and playing resources you could possibly want operate without reserve sides. In reality it may be that in playing terms having an 'A' team is of no real benefit to the NCL side because of the differing playing standards between the respective leagues. This may be a key factor in weather to run an A team.

Other clubs may take the view that they want to run an A side because they have sufficient playing interest and it will provide additional revenue. There's plenty of examples of both out there. I don't see any right or wrong answer or summer / winter issue. Each club to its own.

I wasn't saying anything Gar it was a question that I've asked which you gave a  loose answer to.

And I always thought that A team/youth structure was part of the entry criteria for NCL. Could this be a reason for the slip in standards in the games and just another blind eye turned by the management. It would certainly account for a lack of fixtures in the summer regional leagues

#147 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

Our summer players (U15/U16) were asked to play for a couple of winter sides who needed players. When ours came back, one of those teams failed to complete the season.

Our under 17's folded (was always a small squad and only won about 3 games in 3 years)

However about 9 of the U17's stepped up to open age with our second team and 3 of them where eventually given a chance in the first team, what the U17's  team had was about 7 excellent players a few that could develop at a older age and the reliable will never make one while they have a hole in their butt.

in our pre-season we've had all of last seasons under 17's down training except 2 (Probably the best 2 that have joined the army) and looking to play open-age next season.

Edited by Marauder, 09 August 2013 - 12:30 PM.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#148 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:02 PM

I wasn't saying anything Gar it was a question that I've asked which you gave a  loose answer to.

And I always thought that A team/youth structure was part of the entry criteria for NCL. Could this be a reason for the slip in standards in the games and just another blind eye turned by the management. It would certainly account for a lack of fixtures in the summer regional leagues

Apologies if I came across as a bit sharp Nev V Dawn. If they have turned a blind eye they probably don't have much choice and it would seem the sensible thing given the current circumstances.

#149 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:57 PM

Apologies if I came across as a bit sharp Nev V Dawn. If they have turned a blind eye they probably don't have much choice and it would seem the sensible thing given the current circumstances.

And what are the current circumstances Gar?

#150 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

You seem not to want to answer my last question to you Gar, below are a few pointers that may suggest why;

NCL Constitution rule 7.1 

The National Conference League shall operate and apply strictly a Minimum Standards criterion to which all clubs in membership shall be obliged to comply.

From Appendix 1 - minimum standards criteria:

Operate with a minimum of two open age essentially linked to a youth and junior section – including a team at the highest level and a mini mod structure

Operational rule 16.2

The failure to comply with these Rules may result in the expulsion or non-admission of a Club from the NCL Competition or such other penalty as deemed appropriate by the NCL Management in its discretion. The exercise of such discretion shall be proportionate to the seriousness of non- compliance by that Club

So you're suggesting that the NCL surrender the integrity of their league by as you suggest, "Turning a blind eye given the present circumstances"

#151 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:16 PM

Sorry - missed the question you raised.

I'm not suggesting the NCL surrender the integrity of the league but I am suggesting they exercise the discretion they have given themselves in enforcing such rules to take account of the particular issues raised by the introduction of summer rugby.

#152 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:24 PM

Sorry - missed the question you raised.

I'm not suggesting the NCL surrender the integrity of the league but I am suggesting they exercise the discretion they have given themselves in enforcing such rules to take account of the particular issues raised by the introduction of summer rugby.

I'd say that you're trying to draw a very fine line between discretion and integrity Gar. Was such discretion ever considered to be exercised when the league operated in a more traditional season?

#153 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:35 PM

I've no idea. However, given the transitions that we've all had to make including the leagues I'd say it was an appropriate and responsible approach to take. Perhaps if all clubs and their members had shown the same responsibility and adaptability when dealing with the switch we'd be in a better place than we are now.

#154 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

I've no idea. However, given the transitions that we've all had to make including the leagues I'd say it was an appropriate and responsible approach to take. Perhaps if all clubs and their members had shown the same responsibility and adaptability when dealing with the switch we'd be in a better place than we are now.

Yes you've summed it up the operative word Gar, the transitions we've HAD to make

#155 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:53 PM

Reading between the lines I'd say there is something bugging you. Feel free to share. problem shared is a problem halved and all that

#156 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

Gar you are like many others who skirt around the main issue and fail to accept that there are major problems with the switch to summer , the main points In the switch to summer were less cancelled games and increased participation ( a major factor in receiving sport engand money ) the opposite has happened .

You contradict yourself  so many times in your posts in blindly trying to justify your support for the summer switch its now becoming laughable .

#157 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

How rude! I can only post based in observations at the clubs I am involved with. Participation levels are up, especially at the junior levels. New age groups have been added with talk of more than one team at some age groups. They are constrained by the number of pitches not by numbers of players. They are looking to add teams at open age to both the winter and summer set ups.

In terms of cancelled games they had to postpone some matches due to snow in what was traditionally the winter season. No games have been postponed due to the weather during the summer season. The team that plays in the winter season suffered a few cancellations due to the opposition not having enough players. The summer team has had no cancellations and no shortage of players but suffers in not being able to get consistency in selection.

All the above is fact not opinion.

Apologies for my blindness. I think the sun must be shining in my eyes.

#158 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:02 PM

Don't want to repeat myself , but perhaps you could share with us which is your club that is having such a good experience ?

And you would have thought with all the sun you would have bought some sunglasses ;)

#159 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:04 PM

Reading between the lines I'd say there is something bugging you. Feel free to share. problem shared is a problem halved and all that

No problems whatsoever Gar my friend, what on earth led you down that avenue? 

#160 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:15 PM

Don't want to repeat myself , but perhaps you could share with us which is your club that is having such a good experience ?

And you would have thought with all the sun you would have bought some sunglasses ;)

Didn't a few weekends get washed out last season?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users