Operational Rules

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#161 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:32 PM

How rude! I can only post based in observations at the clubs I am involved with. Participation levels are up, especially at the junior levels. New age groups have been added with talk of more than one team at some age groups. They are constrained by the number of pitches not by numbers of players. They are looking to add teams at open age to both the winter and summer set ups.

In terms of cancelled games they had to postpone some matches due to snow in what was traditionally the winter season. No games have been postponed due to the weather during the summer season. The team that plays in the winter season suffered a few cancellations due to the opposition not having enough players. The summer team has had no cancellations and no shortage of players but suffers in not being able to get consistency in selection.

All the above is fact not opinion.

Apologies for my blindness. I think the sun must be shining in my eyes.

Didn't it snow in your neck of the woods this Easter Gar, your summer season should have been underway by then. Fact not fiction

#162 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:33 AM

Clutching at straws.

#163 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:26 AM

Clutching at straws.

Rain, Snow Flooding and even Operational rule B 2;1;2 (A) had to be broken.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#164 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

Just to be clear are you two now looking to advance an argument that there is no benefit in playing a summer season as opposed to winter season in terms of less games being postponed due to the weather?

Had everyone been playing a winter season this year then all leagues would have had the key games in terms of relegation , promotions, cup finals etc cancelled because of the weather at the business end of the season. Then it would be a case of playing catch up mid week games with depleted teams due to work commitments. Playing key games upto 3 times a week in the run in tends to penalise the stronger teams and makes a mockery of the league.

#165 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:27 AM

It's not a summer / winter debate and again you contradict your own argument .

So when is the the best time to have the business end of a season summer or winter ?

#166 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

Contradict in what way. I think it's more a question of you being told something you don't want to hear and refusing to accept it.

Summer. Grounds are less likely to be saturated in October after the summer months than they would be in March after the winter months.

#167 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

Just to be clear are you two now looking to advance an argument that there is no benefit in playing a summer season as opposed to winter season in terms of less games being postponed due to the weather?

Had everyone been playing a winter season this year then all leagues would have had the key games in terms of relegation , promotions, cup finals etc cancelled because of the weather at the business end of the season. Then it would be a case of playing catch up mid week games with depleted teams due to work commitments. Playing key games upto 3 times a week in the run in tends to penalise the stronger teams and makes a mockery of the league.

Just to be clear Gar I have no desire to argue about anything. Correct me if I'm wrong but I feel that I have tried put forward a few salient points as to how the game - at all levels - is suffering with the, "Make the summer switch successful at all costs," attitude shown by people like yourself. 

However as Taxi points out, this is not a summer debate and your comments seems to be shifting the emphasis from the topic which is of course, Operational Rules.

Quite clearly Gar you have shown your reluctance to adhere to laid down common rules with your repeated comments of, "turning a blind eye under the circumstances," so in my opinion I feel that this serious debate must be way beyond the realms of your intellect.

Oh and by the way, you never did answer when I asked you, what the present circumstances are. 

Edited by Nev V Dawn, 14 August 2013 - 09:55 AM.

#168 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:56 AM

Contradict in what way. I think it's more a question of you being told something you don't want to hear and refusing to accept it.

Give me an example ?

You have not backed up any of your argument with solid facts if you could tell me your club then I could check out what you are saying in terms of no cancelled games etc .

Summer. Grounds are less likely to be saturated in October after the summer months than they would be in March after the winter months.

You see I am not just a keyboard warrior I do actually sit on a couple of the Community games management groups and do see things from all sides , and just thinking its not sun glasses you need its the removal of the blinkers .

So you agree we are playing the season the wrong way round ?

Edited by TaxiEgg, 14 August 2013 - 10:57 AM.

#169 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

No, we are playing the season the right way around. If the tail end of the winter weather adversely affects the beginning of the summer season there is plenty of time to catch up. The pitches are likely to be in a better state in sept/oct for the business end of the summer season than they would be in march / April for the business end of the winter season at which time there is likely to be a backlog of fixtures. The only caveat I would add is that if some form of mid season break is added to open-age summer rugby to try and address the consistency of selection issue which extended the current summer season then there may be problems with the condition of pitches at the tail end of the summer season. That said the juniors seem to manage to make it work.

I have responded to the the criticisms of summer rugby raised with factual examples of where the switch has worked. Some may find this difficult to stomach but nevertheless it's certainly not all doom and gloom. If you think I've given contradictory statements let me know and I'll clarify for you.

if you want my opinion rather than fact I suspect the reason some clubs seem to have struggled is because they are infected with people who are determined to see the switch fail and have never given it a chance. Remember the simple saying 'where there is a will there is a way'.

#170 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

No, we are playing the season the right way around. If the tail end of the winter weather adversely affects the beginning of the summer season there is plenty of time to catch up. The pitches are likely to be in a better state in sept/oct for the business end of the summer season than they would be in march / April for the business end of the winter season at which time there is likely to be a backlog of fixtures. The only caveat I would add is that if some form of mid season break is added to open-age summer rugby to try and address the consistency of selection issue which extended the current summer season then there may be problems with the condition of pitches at the tail end of the summer season. That said the juniors seem to manage to make it work.

I have responded to the the criticisms of summer rugby raised with factual examples of where the switch has worked. Some may find this difficult to stomach but nevertheless it's certainly not all doom and gloom. If you think I've given contradictory statements let me know and I'll clarify for you.

if you want my opinion rather than fact I suspect the reason some clubs seem to have struggled is because they are infected with people who are determined to see the switch fail and have never given it a chance. Remember the simple saying 'where there is a will there is a way'.

And as with any positive news on amateur rugby league it's very refreshing to hear. However some people would say that these positive examples are very few and far between and may even come at the expense of other teams who are struggling with the concept of the change in seasons.

I keep my ears and eyes pretty close to what's happening within amateur rugby league and at the moment, the main conception is that the switch to summer has proved problematic at best.

But then again what's all this got to do with the operational rules?

#171 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

I don't think anybody is arguing the switch hasn't had its problems. I think it would have been naive in the extreme not to expect any but I don't think those problems are insurmountable. As regards those clubs (or rather the people that run them) that have struggled it would be interesting to know whether they have tried to adapt and embrace the concept of summer rugby (despite having some reservations) or just sat back complained and pined for the good old days.

As you say back to the operational rules. If you wait until the sun is shining then read them they won't seem so bad. Everything looks better in the sunshine. That's why everybody gets married in the summer...

#172 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

I don't think anybody is arguing the switch hasn't had its problems. I think it would have been naive in the extreme not to expect any but I don't think those problems are insurmountable. As regards those clubs (or rather the people that run them) that have struggled it would be interesting to know whether they have tried to adapt and embrace the concept of summer rugby (despite having some reservations) or just sat back complained and pined for the good old days.

As you say back to the operational rules. If you wait until the sun is shining then read them they won't seem so bad. Everything looks better in the sunshine. That's why everybody gets married in the summer...

Gar I've read the operational rules under more appropriate light than sunshine in which you don't have to rely on to form an opinion. The document is questionable to say the least.

#173 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

The theory behind summer looked brilliant, all the selling points sounded brilliant but in reality many of the selling points have just not done what was said on the tin, also many clubs (Yours not included) are finding that playing in the summer is not the promised land that the RFL sold them.

One of the common noises coming out of the summer camp at the moment "In a few years the players will only have known summer rugby so it will be ok" Says to me that the NCL aren't going to get a vote on if the 3 year trial worked or not, in fact the pressing necessity to get the Operational Rules signed before the 3 year trial is up says to me that someone somewhere is selling the NCL short.

#174 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

Lulu and Dolly look better in the sun as well :beach:

#175 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

Gar
Have you read and understand the OR ?

#176 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

Yes and yes why are you struggling?

#177 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:12 PM

Yes and yes why are you struggling?

Do you agree with all 32 pages ?

If not, which ones and why?

#178 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:43 PM

Nosey aren't you? I'm sure clubs that have any particular issues will be making their feelings known through the appropriate channels as I'm sure the individual leagues will. I certainly don't intend enlightening/boring you with the issues I had. I can say there was nothing that had me hopping mad. I would imagine you'll find a large degree of apathy amongst clubs particulary those playing summer rugby.

#179 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:14 PM

Nosey aren't you? I'm sure clubs that have any particular issues will be making their feelings known through the appropriate channels as I'm sure the individual leagues will. I certainly don't intend enlightening/boring you with the issues I had. I can say there was nothing that had me hopping mad. I would imagine you'll find a large degree of apathy amongst clubs particulary those playing summer rugby.

I suspect your not in a position within the NCL or any NCL club if you don't have any issues at all with the draft Operational rules.

#180 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:09 PM

I do wish you would read my posts more carefully. I quite clearly said I had issues with the OR.

Not sure I understand your reference on other thread to clubs paying and OR's though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users