31/7-4/8/13 - The Kingstone Press Championship 1 Match Thread

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:29 AM

Discuss all this week's Kingstone Press Championship 1 games here.

WEDNESDAY 31 JULY
University of Gloucestershire All Golds v Hemel Stags        19:30
at Lyndey RFC

SUNDAY 4 AUGUST
Gateshead Thunder v North Wales Crusaders    15:00
Hemel Stags v Oxford    15:00
London Skolars v Oldham    15:00
Rochdale Hornets v South Wales Scorpions    15:00

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:51 AM

Gloucestershire All Golds v Hemel Stags (7.30pm)

Gloucestershire All Golds coach Brad Hepi is aiming for a third league win of the season to haul his side within one point of Gateshead Thunder at the foot of the Kingstone Press Championship One table.
Hepi’s men collected a bonus point for their 35-28 defeat against London Skolars on Sunday.
Now Hepi, who will assess his squad’s fitness on Tuesday, is hoping to go one step further in Wednesday’s clash with Hemel Stags.
Stags are at full strength after two weeks off, but coach Troy Perkins is uncertain about his side’s reaction to an extended period without action.
Perkins said: “It’ll work in one of two ways: we’ll either be really fresh after a couple of weeks off, or we might be a bit off the pace. Hopefully it works in a positive way.
“We’ve five games to go and we want to do well in all of them.
“Gloucestershire have put a couple of good wins together and came back late on against the Skolars, so they’ll be full of confidence.
“They’ve managed to add a couple of quality players to their squad and they’re going to be a very tough test, but if we get a result we can move back up to third place. That’s our focus.”

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#3 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

My predictions are:

Wednesday

Hemel win

Sunday

Crusaders win

Oxford win but Hemel get BP

Skolars win but Oldham get BP

Hornets win

#4 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

My predictions are:
Wednesday
Hemel win

Sunday
Crusaders win
Oxford win but Hemel get BP
Skolars win but Oldham get BP
Hornets win

Ha ha ha. Gateshead win no bonus point for crusaders.
Oldham win not bothered if skolars get bp.
Rest as above.

Well!!?? He started it.

No, both Oldham and Crusaders will win.

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot, 31 July 2013 - 10:12 AM.

#5 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

Who would have believed it rugby league on Severn Street! First ever professional game I think in the Forest of Dean at Lydney tonight. I tried to get something off the ground back in the 80's at nearby Cinderford but the open gang way was not truly established then. A few blokes in time headed north from this old former mining community but Lydney RFC hosting the game takes the biscuit. Well done Lionel!

Edited by audois, 31 July 2013 - 10:30 AM.

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#6 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:29 PM

I've got the programme from the original Gloucestershire .v. Hemel game that was postponed. Does anybody know if a new one is being printed for tonight's game or will they be using the same one. Hemel will beat Gloucestershire and Oxford but both will get bonus points. Crusaders will deny Gateshead a bonus point and Hornets will win by 24. The game at Skolars is a tough one to call but I believe it is more important to Oldham than to Skolars. Tempted to predict a draw, and last time I did, it happened, but Oldham to win with a Lewis Palfrey drop goal. I would be happy enough with the other predictions being correct but hope I am wrong about the Skolars game and it is a home win.

#7 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

Ha ha ha. Gateshead win no bonus point for crusaders.
Oldham win not bothered if skolars get bp.
Rest as above.

Well!!?? He started it.

No, both Oldham and Crusaders will win.

Skolar had a good win last week, are in confident mood and have their new signing Gareth Raynor playing. I don't see a win for Oldham.  And, no, it wasn't just because I support North Wales Crusaders, it is my genuine prediction.  Your turn!!! :D

#8 roughyed34

roughyed34
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

Cru win by quite a few (hopefully not) but cant see any other result there!

Hemel by 20 v Gloucester

Hemel by 10 against Oxford

St Helens Reserves by 8 against SWS

Oldham by 6 in a hard fought game.

Its been a pretty good season overall, far more competitive than i think a lot of us expected.

#9 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

I'll take a stab at the old predictions. May the wisest man win!

Stags to beat All Golds

Cru to beat Thunder

Oxford to squeeze past Stags by a point or two (hope that isnt the case but think fatigue might tell late on)

Hornets to beat Scorps

Think Skolars-Oldham will be very close. Hmm, toughy. I'll go with Oldham win,Skolars BP

#10 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:53 PM

Skolar had a good win last week, are in confident mood and have their new signing Gareth Raynor playing. I don't see a win for Oldham. And, no, it wasn't just because I support North Wales Crusaders, it is my genuine prediction. Your turn!!! :D

even so, you must agree that we had a far better win and that crusaders are a much better team than skolars even with Raynor. :D

#11 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

even so, you must agree that we had a far better win and that crusaders are a much better team than skolars even with Raynor. :D

How many times do you want congratulating!!!!  Yes as I have said, on here and on the Oldham forum, you beat us fair and square and deserved your win. North Wales Crusaders have the upper hand on Skolars SO FAR this season, but after last seasons embarrassment at their place I'm not rushing to shout that we are going to beat them.  They are a tough side to break down (see the Northern Rail Bowl footage) and at home will be a tough prospect. I still say Skolars will beat Oldham, with home advantage, a fully fit squad to pick from and momentum from their league wins.

#12 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

How many times do you want congratulating!!!! Yes as I have said, on here and on the Oldham forum, you beat us fair and square and deserved your win. North Wales Crusaders have the upper hand on Skolars SO FAR this season, but after last seasons embarrassment at their place I'm not rushing to shout that we are going to beat them. They are a tough side to break down (see the Northern Rail Bowl footage) and at home will be a tough prospect. I still say Skolars will beat Oldham, with home advantage, a fully fit squad to pick from and momentum from their league wins.

not after congratulations. Just putting my point of view. I don't think your analysis and reasons for a skolars win is sound. Yes they may win but the odds are they won't.

#13 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

6-6 at half time in deepest Gloucestershire. Come on you Stags!

#14 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

Sounds like the All Golds -v- Stags game is a toughie.  Hopefully the match is a good one to watch given its location!

#15 Nomad XIII

Nomad XIII
  • Players
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:57 PM

Gloucs 18-28 Hemel (from BBC website)

#16 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:01 PM

not after congratulations. Just putting my point of view. I don't think your analysis and reasons for a skolars win is sound. Yes they may win but the odds are they won't.

That's what's so good about the forum - your allowed to have different opinions. Mine is different to yours on this occasion, but it doesn't make mine any less valid. I don't bet so haven't seen the odds.

Well done to Hemel tonight on their win against GAG at Lydney RFC, looked like a reasonable turnout for a Wednesday night too (367).

Edited by gogledd, 31 July 2013 - 09:01 PM.

#17 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 691 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:05 PM

SUNDAY 4 AUGUST
Gateshead Thunder v North Wales Crusaders 15:00
Hemel Stags v Oxford 15:00
London Skolars v Oldham 15:00
Rochdale Hornets v South Wales Scorpions 15:00

NWC win by 40 plus.
Hemel win and Oxford bp
Hornets win by 30 plus
Oldham v London. We historically struggle in the capital but this game will be very close. Oldham win by 4

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#18 IM2

IM2
  • Coach
  • 895 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:24 PM

i think the bowl final took a lot out of both teams including injuries so i think this week it will be far tougher.

Season Tickets 2014
- �85 - season ticket
- �125 - family ticket
- �30 - 4 game pack

skolars shop here:
http://www.skolarsrl.../match-tickets/

Haringey Team of the Year 2014 Skolars U19s

Haringey Club of the year 2011
London RL Club of the year 2011

Skolars if Carlsberg made rugby clubs! Perhaps Leagues most progressive club!

#19 ThunderArmy

ThunderArmy
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:39 PM

Really looking forward to our game v crusaders...after a draw and a win the team now have confidence this is our best squad in 4years...sunday will be very tough though i dont think we will get hammered i think it could be closer than people predict well i hope haha roll on sunday...come on thunder! Come on thunder!!

#20 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

St Helens Reserves by 8 against SWS

I think you'll find we're playing Wigan reserves...

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users