Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

02/08/13 - Wigan Warriors v Hull Kingston Rovers KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Wigan Warriors (6 votes [54.55%])

Percentage of vote: 54.55%

2. Voted Hull Kingston Rovers (4 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

3. Draw (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:45 PM

Happy enough with that, but HKR must feel very badly done to. Some interesting performances from young English players on both sides. Beaumont and Hepi (Brad's lad?) we're fantastic. I think Hampshire will be a terrific player, and Scott Taylor could become an international forward before he's done. HKR have a monster pack and great halves.
Be fascinating to see how we go against the Giants next week. If Sam and Lockers play we'll be at the races.

You will be happy with that as any fan of the winning side would be, I don't think the game turned on any one decision, and HKR could have won anyway had Hodgson not chickened out,  I just think that as much as the players have improved, we still get the same awful decisions from the officials, And we still get people coming on here and saying what a good job they do, God knows what they put up with in other things.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#82 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:52 PM

Seems to be some very one eyed views on here of the refereeing performance. Wigan were on the wrong end of a few 50/50 calls and Rovers were allowed to be offside, not square and have second efforts all game - but pointing that out clearly goes against the daft conspiracy theories. Sad that once again, the majority of posts on this thread are focusing upon the negatives of the refereeing performance, when the game had plenty entertainment and positives. Rovers lost because of the poor defence of their three quarters, rather than due to the ref or video ref (who made a nice make up call after the Charnley / corner post effort).

I would agree it was a very exiting game but you make an exellent point, when a video ref disallows a try, to make up for one that wasn't, that he gave earlier, you begin to start to wonder just what is the state of the reffing, and is anyone ever going to do anything about it.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#83 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 569 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

Proud of the Robins tonight but continue to be amazed at video refs. Ganson still has a job after his inexplicable and inexcusable decision at Magic Weekend and now Childs makes a decision that is hard to justify in favour of Wigan. The young linesman seems keen to spot forward passes...or Silverwood is keen to listen to him....did he not see any Wigan forward passes? There were plenty.

And what got into Stevo bulling up Goulding in commentary and then making him M.O.M Did he not see Pea Eden or any of the Rovers players tackling their hearts out to head Clarke's stats. Did Clarke ever play for Wigan or is he just paid to do their PR on Sky?

Bring on the Derby next weekend...expect Child's as ref and Ganson on video, just keep that linesman away!

#84 Wigansnapper89

Wigansnapper89
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:01 PM

Having watched us for the last few weeks I really do think weve gone off the boil. I know weve had players out and rested ect. But if we carry on playing like we are atm i dont think we will be anywhere near the GF never mind beating Hudds next week.

Hope im wrong but really dont think were playing well atm. Thought it was a good game though, KR very unlucky with some of the decisions and could have gone either way really
" We have achieved what you can only dream of "

Follow me on Twitter @gaz_wigan

My Flickr site with all my Photography on it, New stuff added all the time

http://www.flickr.co...os/8882103@N05/

#85 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:01 PM

You will be happy with that as any fan of the winning side would be, I don't think the game turned on any one decision, and HKR could have won anyway had Hodgson not chickened out, I just think that as much as the players have improved, we still get the same awful decisions from the officials, And we still get people coming on here and saying what a good job they do, God knows what they put up with in other things.

In fairness - Wigan fans have been critical of the refereeing performance in big wins. The standards of officiating are not up to scratch at times and need improvement, but the suggestion that they have an agenda or a pre determined outcome is plain wrong. Every team has been on the end of rough calls this year, as they were last year, etc, etc. Silverwood's main issue is a lack of consistency - throughout the game there were multiple interpretations of broadly the same situation. That is worse for the player's discipline than straightforward errors, which happen at random.

On the other side though is an issue of fans and spectators. Time and again I hear people at games (and even posting on forums) crying blue murder at a correct decision because they just don't understand the rules. I'd encourage anyone who thinks officiating is an easy job to have a go themselves, or at least keep up to date with the laws of the game. At the very least such an approach will provide a better appreciation for how tough a job it is and an understanding that an error free refereeing performance is about as likely as an error free match.

#86 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 569 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:10 PM

Refereeing on the pitch can be an impossible task but the video ref has everything in his favour.

Gwildigo ...try to explain how Ganson still has a job and how Child's can freeze frame the ball being put on the line and yet give a try.

#87 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:11 PM

Proud of the Robins tonight but continue to be amazed at video refs. Ganson still has a job after his inexplicable and inexcusable decision at Magic Weekend and now Childs makes a decision that is hard to justify in favour of Wigan. The young linesman seems keen to spot forward passes...or Silverwood is keen to listen to him....did he not see any Wigan forward passes? There were plenty.

And what got into Stevo bulling up Goulding in commentary and then making him M.O.M Did he not see Pea Eden or any of the Rovers players tackling their hearts out to head Clarke's stats. Did Clarke ever play for Wigan or is he just paid to do their PR on Sky?

Bring on the Derby next weekend...expect Child's as ref and Ganson on video, just keep that linesman away!

If the officials were as one eyed as this, then Rovers would've won by 50. If they see a forward pass, they give it - I count myself as fair minded and didn't see these mythical Wigan forward passes. We've had the obvious rub of the green with a few 'flat' balls in the past, but I don't recall any blatant ones today - whereas Rovers were toeing the line at times. Overall it was a hard fought game, with standouts on both sides - Eden, Paea, Dobson, J.Hodgson, Taylor, Charnley, Goulding, Hampshire and Smith all having their moments. Excellent effort from Rovers, but in the end Wigan shaded it and the scoreboard reflected that.

#88 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:16 PM

Refereeing on the pitch can be an impossible task but the video ref has everything in his favour.

Gwildigo ...try to explain how Ganson still has a job and how Child's can freeze frame the ball being put on the line and yet give a try.

I'll let Child explain his reasons for himself and while he's at it he can also explain the later 'no try'. I'm not saying I agree with the specific calls, just that they ran both ways. In terms of the Charnley / corner post try specifically - I was surprised it was given and can only presume that he felt the ball was momentarily grounded in play before it touched the line.

#89 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 569 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:23 PM

Whether Child evened it out is irrelevant,

#90 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 569 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:29 PM

I am not questioning the end result just the equity of the video ref...it isn't for him to "feel" that it might have been grounded momentarily in play.What he could see was that the ball was put down on the sideline , where was there ANY evidence that the ball was put down in play?

This was the problem with Gansons decision he gave what he wanted to give not what he could see.

#91 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,990 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:15 AM

I count myself as fair minded and didn't see these mythical Wigan forward passes. We've had the obvious rub of the green with a few 'flat' balls in the past, but I don't recall any blatant ones today.

Great stuff.

BOAB MKII?  :huh:  :tongue:

Edited by Old Frightful, 03 August 2013 - 06:19 AM.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#92 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,990 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:26 AM

This was the problem with Gansons decision he gave what he wanted to give not what he could see.

A bit like the final few minutes in the Hull derby at the Etihad in 2012 then?

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#93 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 569 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:51 AM

Exactly...so how does Ganson keep his job.

Listening to Stuart Cummings "justify" every decision until the video and the assorted commentators "gang" up on him explains the RFL position.

"We all stand together, forget refereeing integrity"

And when did Wigan ever get away with a flat pass?

#94 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,990 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:56 AM

Maybe the 6 or 7 KR fans that turned up were singing them, but they just couldn't make themselves heard?

Oooh, you'll be in trouble for that!  :O

#95 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 569 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:03 AM

Frankly the 60/70 visible Rovers fans were bigger than Charnley, more concerned with barracking the ref.

The missing away support were obviously picking their games...money is short...and we now have Wembley to save up for!

Just watching the game again, Luaki loses the ball in trying to score, a "flat" pass from Wigan, Rovers hold out and then the commentary is "another" great pass from Eden....only for it to be called forward. That's 74- 6 put to bed, almost makes me want Hull to win at Wembley....it would be a first.

#96 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:28 AM

It will be interesting to see if that lineman pulls Leeds up for the numerous forward passes when running the line infront of the Southstand.

#97 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 569 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:32 AM

Not that it matters but I was at my mothers funeral. Wouldn't have gone to the game anyway as I live in South Wales and subscribe to Sky to add to my season ticket for home games.My critique of Wigan is that they boast about their following yet as a club they almost give away their season tickets, have been a top team for years so their home attendances are not impressive...look at what their soccer club achieve. It was a pathetic turn out for a cup semi on their backdoor. 12000 yesterday for a match against a team they beat 74-6 yet less than 6000 for their biggest game of the season so far. The standards I set are based on what Rovers and Hull achieve, regularly the best away support from the furthest point East and probably the poorest population.

#98 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,057 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:43 AM

Well that didnt look forward either.

Refs seem to be much keener to give forward passes these last few weeks maybe its Ganson influence. Either way they are still getting plenty wrong its just now they are giving passes as forward when they aren't.

#99 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 569 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:56 AM

Try to put reasoned comments forward but you are just too clever for me.

#100 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:56 AM

Great stuff.

BOAB MKII? :huh: :tongue:

Only when the pills run out.