Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

02/08/13 - Wigan Warriors v Hull Kingston Rovers KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Wigan Warriors (6 votes [54.55%])

Percentage of vote: 54.55%

2. Voted Hull Kingston Rovers (4 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

3. Draw (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#141 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

Meant to put a smiley face in there. Obviously my IT skills are not what I thought they were.

:biggrin: You should ask Steve Reed, somebody was helping him with quoting posts earlier...Oh, hang on...

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#142 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:54 AM

I'd love to see Steve Reed 1 v 1 against BOAB on a Wigan HKR match thread. Albeit Steve has figured out how to quote posts yet.

#143 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

I'd love to see Steve Reed 1 v 1 against BOAB on a Wigan HKR match thread. Albeit Steve has figured out how to quote posts yet.

I'd rather see it in a boxing ring tbh....  <_<

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#144 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

Having watched us for the last few weeks I really do think weve gone off the boil. I know weve had players out and rested ect. But if we carry on playing like we are atm i dont think we will be anywhere near the GF never mind beating Hudds next week.

Hope im wrong but really dont think were playing well atm. Thought it was a good game though, KR very unlucky with some of the decisions and could have gone either way really

Excellent letter, good to see someone can be both honest and thoughtful and whom though quite obviously a fan of the winners is magnanimous enough to admit that their opponents received a raw deal in the game, one in which they deserved better, a draw at least.

The two determining factors for me were the diabolical decision to award Charnley a try, on which pretext I am still trying to work out and, the stupidity of the very experienced Hodgson in waiting for the ball to reach him, instead of taking it on the full and scoring quite easily.

On the whole personally, I would agree that the officials did definitely lean to Wigan and had I been a KR fan I would have been very upset at what I believe went on throughout the game and not just in one or two blatant instances.

#145 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

I'd rather see it in a boxing ring tbh....  <_<

OF - you're on fire. Having laughed out loud twice within a couple of minutes, I tried to explain to the missus what was so funny. I made the mistake of showing her this thread, and she has gone off shaking her head, muttering at how sad I am.

#146 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

I'll let Child explain his reasons for himself and while he's at it he can also explain the later 'no try'. I'm not saying I agree with the specific calls, just that they ran both ways. In terms of the Charnley / corner post try specifically - I was surprised it was given and can only presume that he felt the ball was momentarily grounded in play before it touched the line.

You are being fair in your explanation G...., but isn't the criteria for the decision making of the VR to be centered upon the basis of being as certain as is possible that there can be no reasonable doubt over whether or not a try is awarded?

That would abrogate the fact that he 'FELT' the ball had MOMENTARILY been grounded in the field of play first as an unsolid foundation upon which to award a try.

I admit that when multiple defenders are involved then the VR can be justified in using his own discretion, however this was not such an instance and in this case the fact he felt, as you put it, cannot be a jusifiable reason for the try being given.

I doubt that anyone ( yourself plainly to some degree included?) else harboured a similar opinion to the VRs upon the incident, were they to be as honest as you are alluding to being either :pickeat: .

#147 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

she has gone off shaking her head, muttering 

That's the effect I seem to have on most women.

#148 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

If ever a game deserved a man of the match award for a player on the losing side, this was it. Eden was outstanding.

The one and only person I have ever heard voice an opinion upon " how can you award the MOM to a player on the losing side" was Hemmings!! Really, on air he did state that, quite a few seasons ago admittedly but he did say it.

Brian Gabbitas in the defeated Hunslet team shared the Lance Todd trophy doing precisely that, V Wigan at Wembley in 1965 .......I think, maybe the R/L scribes who picked out the players for that award from the papers, held more enlightened and knowledgable views than does Eddie.

I have never understood this idea that a player on a losing team cannot have had the best game on view in a game, irregardless of his team winning or not.

#149 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:15 PM

Officials don't "lean" towards any team. If they make a decision, right or wrong, they have made it because they thought at that time that the decision was the one that needed making. They don't make them out of bias for one team or another, and to suggest they do is madness.

There have been a number of posts in this thread suggesting that officials are biased, but all they prove is that the posters themselves are biased.

I wonder if that is a sign of a persecution complex showing?

I am not saying that at all. My reference is not to any decision, but to persistent decision making throughout any given game.

This I thought was the general trend being engaged upon in the game we are debating here and, my wife who was also watching concurred thoroughly with that opinion. Incidentally she is a Wigan fan usually, but did agree that they were being allowed licence from the officials whenever split decisions were made.

As for myself I am completely neutral on either side involved and this far from being a biased opinion is one based upon what I observed from that neutral standpoint.

#150 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:32 PM

Brian Gabbitas did share the Lance Todd trophy.
Also I think Tommy Harris the 9 of Hull won the Lance Todd when being on the losing side. (I think)

#151 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:45 PM

And where are they going to magic these ultra refs from? Are you picking up the whistle any time soon?

A bit too late for me mate, But i know what you are thinking, and i agree you can only make the best of what you have, and thereby lies the problem, League seems quite incapable of going forward, I realise this is a bit of topic but it's all a part of the general disappointment in the running of the game. I've been watching it for over 60 years and apart from the players i don't think the game is any better run now than it was when i started, and the quality of the ref's are a part of that. 

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#152 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,354 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

'Man of the match' is a load of rubbish. It's a team game.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#153 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,934 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:03 PM

'Man of the match' is a load of rubbish. It's a team game.

I had never thought of that, but the more you think about it the more it seems you are right.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#154 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:07 PM

Extraordinary individual pieces of effort or skill should still be recognised though.

Edited by chuffer, 04 August 2013 - 06:08 PM.

#155 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,981 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

:biggrin: Steve will think you're on drugs when he reads that bit.

Even though he's a red and white, I'm gonna stick up for him.

He started posting on here to try and balance out what he thought were unfair and uneducated assaults spouted by the likes of me and my Hull FC cabal (copyright SR100), against his East Hull favourites.

But, of course at that time, his team were yet to play the mighty Wigan and their team of referees at the DW Stadium. Now that has ocurred, with all the great injustices that always go against any away team having the temerity to try and win there, he finds himself fighting another battle to try and highlight the wrongs dealt against his club.

And of course, being a relative newcomer on here, he's never experienced how you cherry and white lot gather together to cover up the obvious Wigan bias and then attempt to beat any decent outraged fan of another club into submission. 

You pie eating bullies should all be ashamed of yourselves. :nono:

(and he hasn't even met BOAB yet... :blink: )

Haha! :D Cloak and dagger or what, you'll be in trouble!

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#156 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,981 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:51 PM

The one and only person I have ever heard voice an opinion upon " how can you award the MOM to a player on the losing side" was Hemmings!! Really, on air he did state that, quite a few seasons ago admittedly but he did say it.

Brian Gabbitas in the defeated Hunslet team shared the Lance Todd trophy doing precisely that, V Wigan at Wembley in 1965 .......I think, maybe the R/L scribes who picked out the players for that award from the papers, held more enlightened and knowledgable views than does Eddie.

I have never understood this idea that a player on a losing team cannot have had the best game on view in a game, irregardless of his team winning or not.

Brian Gabbitas did share the Lance Todd trophy.
Also I think Tommy Harris the 9 of Hull won the Lance Todd when being on the losing side. (I think)

Gary Connolly 2003, jumps immediately to mind, I can't think why.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#157 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,354 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:12 PM

I had never thought of that, but the more you think about it the more it seems you are right.

I was being a bit glib, but I do believe there's far too much emphasis put on individual awards especially the Lance Todd.

The vast majority of games of RL finish with no real stand-out performer which always leads to the scrum-half general or the two try winger picking up the MOM. Then, in the history books from then on it's so-and-so's inspiring performance, etc ,etc, when the reality was nothing of the sort.

And that's quite apart from plain mistakes when the award is made before the game is decided (Paul Cooke v Leeds, etc).

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#158 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,650 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:20 PM

The winning team gets an award in any case...they win te game/league/trophy/cup etc.

#159 sallywt

sallywt
  • Coach
  • 510 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

A bit too late for me mate,

Really?  Can I ask how old you are please?  One of our society members picked up the whistle at the age of 55 and is still officiating very well at the age of 62!!

#160 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:24 PM

Really?  Can I ask how old you are please?  One of our society members picked up the whistle at the age of 55 and is still officiating very well at the age of 62!!

75 Started watching at 14 and have seen some great players in that time from all clubs, I still love the game and i get too almost every home game and some away one's, I like to watch all teams and i can appreciate class sides like Wigan and Warrington are at the moment etc , but as you will have noted from a couple of my posts i have become very disheartened with the way the game is run, I don't think we have the right caliber of people , a bit like some of our politicians, But then It's easy to be critical from behind a keyboard i suppose, There are some very good and Knowledgeable posters on this board, but i have to say my overriding view of the average league supporter these days is that by and large they care about their own club and not much else, They are not unique in that , but i've always thought of League as a bit different and a bit special, It doesn't seem to be anymore.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users