Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

02/08/13 - Wigan Warriors v Hull Kingston Rovers KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Wigan Warriors (6 votes [54.55%])

Percentage of vote: 54.55%

2. Voted Hull Kingston Rovers (4 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

3. Draw (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#161 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

You know what, despite coming up just short I really enjoyed the game. We battled for 80 minutes, showed we can play a bit and scored a couple of decent tries. We were down to 16 men for much of the game, then Withers did the dirty and was sat down for 10, Rhys and Paea both went off so at one point we have 13 on the pitch and one fit bench player. I felt for David Hodgson at the end. He had to make sure he took the ball, which he did cleanly but the Wigan defence just got over in time.

I'm gratious in defeat and congratulate Wigan on taking the points. Their fans clapped our players onto the pitch as well. Fair play to them.

#162 7723

• Coach
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

After watching this match I really think KR will struggle when Dobson leaves. He was a class above everyone else on the pitch.

#163 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

You know what, despite coming up just short I really enjoyed the game. We battled for 80 minutes, showed we can play a bit and scored a couple of decent tries. We were down to 16 men for much of the game, then Withers did the dirty and was sat down for 10, Rhys and Paea both went off so at one point we have 13 on the pitch and one fit bench player. I felt for David Hodgson at the end. He had to make sure he took the ball, which he did cleanly but the Wigan defence just got over in time.

I'm gratious in defeat and congratulate Wigan on taking the points. Their fans clapped our players onto the pitch as well. Fair play to them.

I was suprised David Hodgson didn't dive for that, i thought he would have had a fair shot at it, He exelled at scoring tries like that not so long ago.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#164 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,647 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

Well, I've just watched the Charnley vid ref try for the first time, expecting to see an outrageous decision and, tbh, I don't really see what all the fuss is about.

The corner flag prevents the ability to definitely say the ball was over the tryline before hitting touch/touch in goal but, unfortunately for Rovers, benefit of doubt has to go to the tryscorer...doesn't it?

Seems ages since I saw that on the screen and this was a perfect example of it coming into play.

I know Hull KR fans will say I was bound to say this as a black and white but I sincerely believe that the Pies always get the majority of 50/50s at the DW and was ready to criticise this one but I don't feel I can. (Unlike BBC Radio Humberside who tonight suggested it was time for the Video Ref to be scrapped.)

Certainly the "forward" pass should never have been awarded, Rovers can feel very hard done to on that count.

Both Hull teams are in reasonable nick at the moment so it should be a rather lively derby on Sunday.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#165 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:26 PM

The Charnley 2nd try should not have been given surely? The ball hit the touch line at the same time as the try line as far as I could make out.
When Charnley contested the ball with Hodgson I thought that was a try. Wells in his game review used the Super Zoom and it showed a try should have been given.
Two wrong decisions but the right allocation of points.
The "forward pass" was forward. Look where the ball was passed in relation to the 10 mtr line then look where it was caught in relation to the 10 mtr line. Clearly forward.
Also what no one seems to mention is HKR's last try. SKY only showed one shot from behind the sticks but the HKR man dropped the ball. Silverwood had awarded the try and they didn't show it again.
Very poor play from Hodgson when he should have come inside to catch that last cross field kick.
Too much talk about the officials and not the game. SKY's title for the match was "Pay Back Time". Nothing was going to detract them from that narrative.
Hemmings remark to Sandercock "You were Robbed" was ridiculous and wrong.

#166 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

The Charnley 2nd try should not have been given surely? The ball hit the touch line at the same time as the try line as far as I could make out.
When Charnley contested the ball with Hodgson I thought that was a try. Wells in his game review used the Super Zoom and it showed a try should have been given.
Two wrong decisions but the right allocation of points.
The "forward pass" was forward. Look where the ball was passed in relation to the 10 mtr line then look where it was caught in relation to the 10 mtr line. Clearly forward.

Whether a pass is forward or not is relative to the players not the pitch.

#167 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:49 PM

Yes I know, The player catching the ball caught it in front of the man who passed it.
The 10 mtr line was just an easy guide to see how far forward it was.

#168 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,647 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:13 PM

Deary me, now the usual forward pass drivelathon seems destined to kick into full gear.

Is this going to end up the longest match thread ever?

Edited by Old Frightful, 05 August 2013 - 08:14 PM.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#169 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:14 PM

Yes I know, The player catching the ball caught it in front of the man who passed it.
The 10 mtr line was just an easy guide to see how far forward it was.

But the man passing it was tackled so the receiver is bound to be Infront. For me it could of gone either way its one of those were you just accept the refs call. This is a good example of why video ref rulings on forward passes wouldn't work as it would be almost impossible to be certain no matter how many camera angles or how many times you looked at it

#170 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:16 PM

OF...But then you thought Gansons decision was right ...lol.

As for the forward pass I could see a reason for giving that! But then I see so many so called flat passes that are forward and never given.

Rovers did play well, their youngsters matched the Wigan youngsters man for man, and their missing players and injuries exceeded those of Wigan but Sky wouldnt highlight any of that given their need to make Wigan the be all and end all.

A full house nailed on for this Sunday despite tv coverage so the atmosphere will be tense. Expect to see all the Hull fans bedecked in their Wembley shirts etc and to have many rousing Old Faithful choruses...pity both sides cannot agree on the words! 

Will have to go in my car with the Reg Plate KR10 SR5 (S) although I still have HU11 FFC for sale!

#171 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:18 AM

Agree Sandercock is the right man for the job with KR, doing an excellent job bringing on the youngsters, recruiting and getting the best of his English and Aussie signings, and selling off the chaff to the likes of Wigan to generate money to reinvest...excellent replacements found.

See we do agree,let that be your last word...unless you ever dream up something worth saying.

#172 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,647 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:46 AM

Will have to go in my car with the Reg Plate KR10 SR5 (S) although I still have HU11 FFC for sale!

You serious?  :huh:  

I did see a car with the plate HU11 KRR   :sarcastichand:  the other day...

#173 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

Yes. Sold that one 2 years ago. How about HU11 HKR ? Many more to offer.

You should know I am always serious.....only joking.

#174 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

Just seen typo...KR10 FC5 also KR10 5FC. You fancy them?

#175 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:10 PM

The RL Refs twitter feed has an explanation for the Charnley try on Friday by James Child, illustrated with still shots. Certainly makes you understand his thought process in giving the try and that it wasn't necessarily the incorrect call most thought. The RL Refs twitter interaction is one of the best additions this year.

#176 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:55 PM

No!!!!!!!!
At this rate we'll discover that Charnley's other try should have been and that 2 of HKR's tries would have been chalked off for blatant obstruction and dropping the ball.
Wendall used to mark up the Warrington Gazette with the "correct" Wire scores and results. When I get my Wigan Evening Post I will adjust the score to 27 - 6, another comfortable victory in our undefeated season.

#177 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:57 PM

The RL Refs twitter feed has an explanation for the Charnley try on Friday by James Child, illustrated with still shots. Certainly makes you understand his thought process in giving the try and that it wasn't necessarily the incorrect call most thought. The RL Refs twitter interaction is one of the best additions this year.

It would be far more helpful where you to expand on that account.

Obviously the outcome of Mr Child's decision is acceptable to you as you are a clearly stated Wigan fan, but I am surprised that you have not put into words ( that rarely being an avoidance that you could be accused of :P ) the reasoning that the VR did offer as the basis of the decision he arrived at, a further explanation of his reasoning would be greatly appreciated and, I suspect not only by myself . 

#178 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:59 PM

That's harsh on F T, a very reasonable poster. I understood from his post that the pictures told the story and so presumably words would not do them justice...

#179 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:31 PM

It would be far more helpful where you to expand on that account.
Obviously the outcome of Mr Child's decision is acceptable to you as you are a clearly stated Wigan fan, but I am surprised that you have not put into words ( that rarely being an avoidance that you could be accused of :P ) the reasoning that the VR did offer as the basis of the decision he arrived at, a further explanation of his reasoning would be greatly appreciated and, I suspect not only by myself .

The still pictures from the touchline / behind Charnley at a slightly elevated angle suggest that the ball may have been grounded on the line before it hit the corner post and dead ball line. Not 100% conclusive due to the difficulty of the shadow of the ball making the distance to the ground difficult to judge. But certainly enough to give the benefit of doubt to the attacking side.

If you want the full explanation and photos check the Twitter feed.

#180 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:07 PM

The still pictures from the touchline / behind Charnley at a slightly elevated angle suggest that the ball may have been grounded on the line before it hit the corner post and dead ball line. Not 100% conclusive due to the difficulty of the shadow of the ball making the distance to the ground difficult to judge. But certainly enough to give the benefit of doubt to the attacking side. If you want the full explanation and photos check the Twitter feed.

That I do contend is taking something of a liberty with a camera! This is proof positive we are taking into account not shadows, smoke or mirrors G.

I accept there can be no absolutes where human error is concerned but that explanation is a pretty threadbare one to utilise in this instance.

Should that be Mr Childs excuse ( and I use that word intentionally) then I do believe he ought to be relieved in future of adjudicating over the VR responsibilities at any S/L game.

As for twitter, no thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users