Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

03/08/13 - Catalan Dragons v St Helens KO 6pm CET

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (7 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted Catalan Dragons (4 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

2. St Helens (3 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:35 AM

Discuss Catalan Dragons v St Helens here.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 4sh

4sh
  • Players
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

Supporting St Helens all my life, i think people are counting their chickens before they hatch. A win against a depleted Wigan side and its the 'turn of the season' for Saints. A win at Catalan and string a few others in after that, then maybe yes. (Fingers crossed). I think Catalan will be favourites going into this game, but if Saints arrive in the right frame of mind, with 1, 6, 7, 9 firmly in place. They'll win. 

IMO...

1. Wellens

6. Lomax

7. O'brien (If he's back).

9. Howarth

Saints win. In a close game.

#3 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,570 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:39 PM

Cats by 8

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#4 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 575 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:45 AM

Off to France for this one. Should be close after Saints performance last week. Cats by 1

#5 Saint Until I Die

Saint Until I Die
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

Fly out tomorrow. Can't wait for it, although it means I can't play for Brook at the weekend.

It's a huge game for Sants this, and I am quietly confident. If we show the same amount of passion and commitment as we did last week against Wigan we will be there or there abouts. Catalan are still missing a couple of players I think, but our forwards need to lead by example at the weekend. If they can lay a platform for O'Brien and Wilkin, we have shown over the past couple of weeks that we have quality out wide to cause them problems.

Huge game in the context of our season.

Edited by Saint Until I Die, 01 August 2013 - 02:21 PM.

#6 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:36 PM

Supporting St Helens all my life, i think people are counting their chickens before they hatch. A win against a depleted Wigan side and its the 'turn of the season' for Saints. A win at Catalan and string a few others in after that, then maybe yes. (Fingers crossed). I think Catalan will be favourites going into this game, but if Saints arrive in the right frame of mind, with 1, 6, 7, 9 firmly in place. They'll win. 

IMO...

1. Wellens

6. Lomax

7. O'brien (If he's back).

9. Howarth

Saints win. In a close game.

You forget, of course, that we were also a depleted side with two of our three good forwards out injured (Robes and Soliola) and we lost three to injury during the match: our other good forward (Walmsley), O'Brien (our only halfback and he isn't even ours) and Lomax.  So I'm sorry but that win over Wigan was astounding, particularly in the context of our pitiful performances throughout this season, and their absence of two players in Samkins and O'Loughlin was entirely nullified as an excuse for their loss or a reason to undermine our win simply by our own losses.

#7 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:33 PM

You forget, of course, that we were also a depleted side with two of our three good forwards out injured (Robes and Soliola) and we lost three to injury during the match: our other good forward (Walmsley), O'Brien (our only halfback and he isn't even ours) and Lomax.  So I'm sorry but that win over Wigan was astounding, particularly in the context of our pitiful performances throughout this season, and their absence of two players in Samkins and O'Loughlin was entirely nullified as an excuse for their loss or a reason to undermine our win simply by our own losses.

Absolutely right. 

I don't really know how I feel going into this game. If we play with the same passion and determination as in the derby then we could well win, but we haven't produced many other performances of that nature this season (if any at all?). I think I'll be positive and hope that it was the team turning the corner and that more good things are to come. I'll go for a Saints win by 6-14 points which could see us go 5th, which seems crazy considering how poor our season has been.  

#8 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:35 PM

Wigan's minds were on the semi final, a far more important game.
Cats are the better side and will win.

#9 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:20 AM

Barring any injuries picked up in training was told that Saints will be making just 1 change to last weeks team with Walker replacing Greenwood on the bench

#10 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

Cats are the better side and will win.

:tongue:

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#11 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:14 PM

:haha:

#12 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:24 PM

:haha:

Will it be the same the week before the final?

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#13 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:38 PM

O'Brian clean out late off the ball with a shoulder charge again. Poor lad off agisn with concussion. Guess what - on report.

No doubt the this time it will result in a ban since he doesn't play for wigan

Edited by Bostik Bailey, 03 August 2013 - 06:38 PM.

#14 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:49 PM

O'Brian clean out late off the ball with a shoulder charge again. Poor lad off agisn with concussion. Guess what - on report.

No doubt the this time it will result in a ban since he doesn't play for wigan

That was a real cop out by Thaler. 

I think O'Brien needs a bit of a rest.  To be knocked out twice in as many weeks cannot be good for him. 

Sounds like we played really well, once we recovered from O'Brien's loss. 

#15 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

That was a real cop out by Thaler. 

I think O'Brien needs a bit of a rest.  To be knocked out twice in as many weeks cannot be good for him. 

Sounds like we played really well, once we recovered from O'Brien's loss. 

Indeed, he should probably sit out for a while. Concussions can be very bad news and have to be treated extremely seriously.

Delighted with the result, it seems that we're finally finding some form.

#16 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 681 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:30 AM

Brown furious about the challenge on O Brien. It's a great weekend for the refs! I've ust read what he said after the game on the Sky Sports website which is nothing that he didn't really say at Huddersfield (although it is worth repeating). Also says there is a certain club still attacking the knees and he can't believe that's still allowed, a point I hope the RFL listen to
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#17 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 575 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:12 AM

Enjoyed the game and meet some of the players afterwards. The Cat players were not happy with the tackle either. The 'on report' thing is such a cop out. It was very clear at the time from the stands that it was a bad tackle so the ref should have seen it and acted.

#18 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

Enjoyed the game and meet some of the players afterwards. The Cat players were not happy with the tackle either. The 'on report' thing is such a cop out. It was very clear at the time from the stands that it was a bad tackle so the ref should have seen it and acted.

He did see it but copped out, same thing happened in the last match. It will become a good tactic, get a big forward to snot the other teams halfback off the ball, the most you will get is a penalty. From what I saw there was little difference to the hit he got from the Wigan game. Both were shoulder charges, both were late, both resulted in him hitting his head on the ground.

The RFL have set a president here, that this type of cynical foul part of the game and does not warrant any further punishment .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users