Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Leak links up with Bulldogs

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

The Bulldogs today confirmed the signing of hooker/half-back Alistair Leak on a deal until the end of the 2013 season.

After some fantastic performances for Leeds Met University over the past 12 months, plus an excellent Student World Cup, in which Alistair helped to guide England Students to the World Cup Final against Australia, the Bulldogs have moved to snap him up until the end of the 2013 season.

Alistair started off his Rugby League with Egremont in Cumbria at the age of 6 and played for the club all the way through to their open age team. As a junior, Alistair represented his Service Area, his county and was also in the GB Community Lions U18's set up for 3 years.

"Bringing Alistair into the squad at this stage of the season is a great addition to our squad, and having coached him before at Leeds Met University, I know what he is capable of. He is just as competent at dummy-half as he is at scrum-half. He has an excellent pass off both hands and he has a very effective running game. This addition will give us more cover and competition at hooker and scrum half for the remainder of the season and hopefully in 2014" commented assistant coach Andy Jordan.

#2 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

he won the student RL player of the year award this year too, so we better not let that baby face fool us -

http://www.pitchero....-of-976869.html

looks a good prospect, will be interesting to see how quickly he adapts to a much higher level.

Wouldnt put him in ahead of Hemingway at scrum half for Sunday, but we have niothing to lose at the minute and hes certainly worth a go in place of Mennell at hooker who has been non existent in recent weeks.

Edited by buford t justice, 31 July 2013 - 12:30 PM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#3 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 758 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:54 PM

He played well for england in recent world cup so he can't be bad if we have given him a go

#4 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

Lettuce hope he gets a game ahead of Mennell, who hasn't exactly left a trail of destruction recently or proven that he's worth his salt this season.

Posted Image

#5 phildog

phildog
  • 292 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

Interesting, if he turns out anything like big Alex, another student who we took a chance on, another canny bit of Kear poaching. Where does that leave Whitmore, surely we can't discard him after not giving him a chance except back on loan where he came from, then his injury. We brought him in to do a job, would be daft to throw him out when we didn't give him a chance in the first place.

#6 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,077 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:38 PM

Lettuce hope he gets a game ahead of Mennell, who hasn't exactly left a trail of destruction recently or proven that he's worth his salt this season.

Has he been worth his celery do you think?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#7 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

Has he been worth his celery do you think?

You don't half talk some raddish BSJ

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#8 olddoggy

olddoggy
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:22 PM

You don't half talk some raddish BSJ

He might be just the man we've bean waiting for!

Let's hope we can say "Cour..gette propelled"

Sorry - a bit contrived but it amused me.

Edited by olddoggy, 31 July 2013 - 09:25 PM.

#9 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:34 PM

I guess the promise of a contract for next season is the....ahem....carrot on the stick for the lad.

Edited by TheTerminator, 31 July 2013 - 10:47 PM.

Posted Image

#10 RPH

RPH
  • Coach
  • 606 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:19 PM

I guess the promise contract for next season is the....ahem....carrot on the stick for the lad.

i think all this vegetable talk is rather......Salad

Edited by RPH, 31 July 2013 - 10:21 PM.

#11 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:49 PM

It will be interesting to see if he gets a run out against keighley or whether we save him for next week against marrow, sorry barrow.

#12 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:47 PM

On a more serious note, my web of contacts tell me that this lad is a top talent and was heavily courted by all the Cumbrian clubs before opting for university life in Leeds. He also played for England at most junior levels up until leaving school at 18 to enter further education, so he's obviously got some ability. As Buford mentioned, Mennell has been virtually non-existent all season so he's well worth a shot.

Edited by TheTerminator, 31 July 2013 - 11:53 PM.

Posted Image

#13 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:13 AM

my contact  who coached the Engalnd Students in the world cup tells me He's a great little player - very similar to Paul Mennel - can play hooker or 7.  should go well in champs..

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#14 vitocorleone

vitocorleone
  • Coach
  • 665 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:52 AM

I`m fairly sure I bumped into the kid recently in Leeds, seemed a good lad. Must be doing alright for a student to afford Slug and Lettuce prices!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users