Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Leigh

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 DemonUK

DemonUK
  • Coach
  • 300 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:49 AM

Won't be taking the kids this Sunday then! They'll have to wait until Thursday night....at least the money will go to our Club then as well.

U16s £5 U12s just a quid think

Sorry folks, no forecast comp this year

#22 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:54 PM

Well what an odd match
Started like a house on fire scored a couple of great tries
Defended like demons...three tries conceded off lucky rebounds and another a massive forward pass on the line
In between we had no idea in attack before a belter from Rhys.
Bonus point would have made us happy prior to the Featherstone game but I feel a bit like an opportunity for another famous victory has been missed

#23 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:57 PM

Massive game now on Thursday against York.I think it will go down to the very last game.Great win for Barrow today against Halifax.

#24 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

Well what an odd match
Started like a house on fire scored a couple of great tries
Defended like demons...three tries conceded off lucky rebounds and another a massive forward pass on the line
In between we had no idea in attack before a belter from Rhys.
Bonus point would have made us happy prior to the Featherstone game but I feel a bit like an opportunity for another famous victory has been missed

Pretty much well summed up Mark......I was disappointed we didn't claim the win.

#25 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:26 PM

We could have won it, but I think Mr Ridyard was the difference today.

We didn't take all of our opportunities and were giving away silly penalties in the 2nd half. However, a massive bonus point for us! Rhys Williams took his hat-trick really well and Craig Harvey is becoming a big player for us. Must win games against York and Barrow now.

#26 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:53 PM

Ok so I expect I will get some stick for this opinion - but here goes.........sorry to say it but while Ian Watson clearly pushes the team, his ball distribution was poor today - last week without him I think Smith and Harvey did more with the ball, for me at least. Why our coach felt  the to need to sub Smith and McCarthy - is beyond me - every time Smith goes off we concede points and McCarthy was having a great game...........of course without the three scores from the lucky rebounds we would have won. I do think however the team is solid and playing with confidence and wanted to fight not just the bonus point, in the last minute or so the pack formed up quickly because they wanted to have another go at Leigh, when they could simply have walked over to the scrum and let the clock run down..........

#27 Spelly

Spelly
  • Coach
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

A deserved bonus-point this afternoon, but Barrow's win over 'Fax has done us no favours, so......................

A win (by 13+) over York on Thursday is nothing less than a super must, and..............

Hopefully, other results next weekend will go our way!

Following the Keighley fiasco, our performances have improved, and if we continue to keep up that standard, there's no reason why we can't stay up!

Proud to be a Lion again today!

Spelly.

"--- and then on the eighth day, God created Rugby League."

Daily, my intense dislike of the Pinks, Rugby Yawnion, Manchester United, and far-right politics, grows ever larger, and will continue to do so forever more!

Question! What's the connection between Rugby League and Rugby Yawnion? Answer! There isn't one!

My girl-friend asked "If you had to choose between me and Swinton who would it be?" I replied "You know the answer to that one without even asking!"

#28 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

I think watsons future is at hooker

#29 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 583 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:34 PM

We've given ourselves a fighting chance. 4 pts from Fev & Leigh we would have all taken, esp off the back of some poor displays. Can i say thst from a personal perspective all I want is FIGHT from my team, and in the last 2 weeks we've seen that. Same attitude in last 4 matches and I'll accept that, regardless of where we end up. Come on Swinton!!! We can do it.

Edited by steve wild, 04 August 2013 - 07:40 PM.

#30 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:51 PM

Keighley have slipped back into the dogfight on the back of some poor results since they beat us so convincingly.

#31 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:56 PM

Crunch time now here are the final fixtures :

Barrow :  Batley (a), Workington (h) Swinton (a) Keighley (h)

Lions  :  York (h), Doncaster (a), Barrow (h), Whitehaven (a)

Hunslet :  Workington (h), York (a) , Sheffield (a), Featherstone (h)

York :  Swinton (a), Hunslet (h) , Workington (a) , Batley (h) , Doncaster (a)

Keighley :  Whitehaven (a), Workington (a),  Featherstone (h). Halifax (h), Barrow (a)

Edited by RIGGY, 05 August 2013 - 05:56 AM.

#32 ANDYPK

ANDYPK
  • Coach
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

York :  Swinton (a), Hunslet (h) , Workington (a) , Batley (h)

Keighley :  Whitehaven (a), Workington (a),  Featherstone (h). Halifax (h), Barrow (a)

We also have Doncaster away as a re-arranged game, not easy on their current form ! Wouldn't like to bet on which two of the above go down.
Posted Image

#33 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

Don't York have a game in hand?

#34 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:02 PM

You could make a strong case for Keighley not getting another point!

#35 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 248 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

A battling performance from the Lions and worthy of the bonus point though Leigh were the better oufit over all until they began to run out of steam in the last15 minutes or so.  They had a couple of very lucky breaks for the two rebound tries but they were more enterprising in attack than us especially close to the line. 

Tyrone McCarthy had another good game and Rhys Williams impressed for a second week running after not showing all that much earlier in the season.  I hope they remain available for the last few matches. I agree with Wayne_r, Mark Smith needs stay on the field especially at this crucial time of the season unless injured or really struggling which he does not seem to be, he can rest all he wants when the season ends.  I don't think Liam Hulme is a loose forward no matter how hard he tries perhaps James Brown is more fitting to that role now he is more up to speed at playing at this level.

Well done to all the team for continuing the improvement in performance and I hope we can keep improving over the next few weeks and avoid the drop.  

#36 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 325 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:52 PM

York :  Swinton (a), Hunslet (h) , Workington (a) , Batley (h)

If I had to pick one of those I would choose our run in - however, we are not all starting on the same points!

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#37 AlanE

AlanE
  • Coach
  • 417 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:38 AM

Good luck guys - I hope you do it!

#38 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

As a neutral, I can't see Keighley getting another point, but of course, such is the nature of Rugby League that they will probably shock somebody. I think Workington at home this week could be Hunslet's only victory, although that will depend on if McShane, who I rate highly, plays for them or not. Swinton really need to beat York Thursday and I expect them too after the last 2 results but this is huge game that York will be targetting as well. Good luck to Swinton. I hope to be welcoming you all to the Racecouse ground next season.

#39 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:49 PM

It seems that yesterdays score line is incorrect. After reading the MEN report Ian Watson scored a final try for us, I must have missed that one.!!

When challenged the Editor for sport said " It's not our fault we get our info from the Press Agency" ....yes but surely you check it was my reply. " Well we can't be held responsible" came the response.

Time to stop buying the MEN I feel.

#40 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:44 PM

I was following the game via BBC sport updates and they gave Watto as the final try scorer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users