TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Best thing about NRL

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:55 PM

Well there's plenty of things you could be expecting to read here.

Last weekend though got me thinking about the way every NRL season turns up new young players who surprise and excite the fans with their

ability and athleticism having been off the radar until they got their chance.

That try of David Nofoaluma for Tigers, when he touched down with his whole body hanging almost vertically above the ball  was the sort of thing that inspired this post.

You can go through virtually every NRL team and find a young gun or two  who has not only got into the team but once there looks like a gifted young star  with a maturity and confidence beyond their rookie status.

So whether you are a Bunnies aficionado  (Tom and George Burgess), a Panthers follower (Matt Moylan) a Stormer (Ben Hampton), a Roosters supporter (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Daniel Tupou) or a Warriors watcher (Peter Hiku) ... (I could go on) ... you can watch exciting new talent unearthed that means that the loss of a big star through retirement or transfer to another sport is hardly noticed.

NRL fans might lose Izzy Folau or Benji but they always have a new generation of talented new players bursting into the game.

No wonder the NRL is so successful in delighting its fans and pleasing its sponsors.

See David Nofoaluma's try

Edited by G Las D, 31 July 2013 - 02:59 PM.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#2 simonwref

simonwref
  • Coach
  • 194 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:03 PM

That try was superhuman!

#3 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

Very true and this is why I'm uncomfortable with the whole "marquee player exception" talk that is doing the rounds, specifically with regard to Canterbury's pursuit of Folau. Ray Warren also made the point during the Knights-Roosters game at the weekend that the NRL should do "whatever it takes" to keep Sonny Bill Williams and Benji Marshall in the league. This is particularly odd seeing as these are incumbent NRL players and I personally don't share his view, which would have more resonance if the cap hadn't just trebled. NRL should and hopefully will back itself to be the most attractive proposition for these players, even if they could squeeze slightly more from a more free market top-heavy sport (ie rugby union). If not, see you later. How high is SBW's international profile playing weak club RU anyway?

NRL must grow proportionately and not lose sight of the competitive edge and intensity that I'm sure is the main reason so many people follow it. As an NBA fan of many years I'm not entirely against the principle of a "soft cap" allowing some clubs to pay more but it should be noted that the NBA hardened its cap at the last Collective Bargaining talks by way of a more punitive luxury tax out of fear of a few monolith clubs stockpiling too much talent and the NRL must be careful with going the other way.

Basically, viva NRL's astonishing mix of incredible young talent AND as many established stars as want to display their talents within cap rules. And if I have to pick one, give me the former.

#4 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:49 PM

Many of my favourite memories in my long support for this game are related to new young players that my club introduced or developed  so they could entertain us with the pace and enthusiasm of youth before too much individuality had been coached out of them.

To see Paul Newlove as a teenager in full flight beating opposition players the full length of the pitch for Fev is a treasured memory. Paul went on to have a distinguished and long career in the game but his early years in the top flight with us was magic.Class acts with maturity - Cam Smith, J Thurston, Corey Parker etc are fantastic players that steer their teams to success with maturity and skill. They are rightly paid very well for their experience and expertise. I wouldn't bend or change rules to keep specific players in the game. SBW, Marshall etc have been,are or can be excellent players. If they choose to move on there are assuredly making room for the stars of tomorrow.

#5 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

Good points again GLD.

Just to correct my point about the cap trebling - whoops! I knew it had gone up but checking the figures I got a bit carried away there! Is it due to rise again as I felt sure there were widespread reports in the UK media of a huge imminent increase but this was admittedly a couple of years ago so may just have been based on speculation.

#6 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:38 AM

As of 2013 the club grant is $7.1 million which covers the salary cap of $5.85 million for the top twenty-five players at each club. The salary cap will increase to $6.3 million in 2014, $6.55 million in 2015, $6.8 million by 2016 and $7 million in 2017.The minimum wage from 2013 onwards is $80,000 for the top twenty-five players.

The other items of note are plans to 'exclude' some 3rd party deals & cars,etc used by players from the cap ?

These are the main items Melbourne got crucified over in 2010.

There is also the 'option in review' of a Marquee player being paid 'outside the salary cap'

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite

and furthermore always carry a small snake - W C Fields

#7 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:24 AM

Best thing Part 2:

It's ability to surprise making tipping games a struggle

There's always close fought games  eg this week Knights and Broncos playing to collapse 18 all draw and the Warriors/Sharks 4 point call.

Storm lost at home to Raiders earlier in the season and have been stuttering recently. They absolutely blitzed a Raiders team in Canberra where the home team had won all their games this season.

Then there was that extra special athletic try again - see point 1 above. This time it was Mahe Fonua.

... jumping from the field of play, Fonua regathered the ball and in mid-air threw it back over his head for Chambers who simply had to ground the ball for an amazing try.

#8 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

Sadly I couldn't 'watch' the game but thankfully someone posted a photo

that makes this Victorian extremely proud of the Victorian in the photo.

Iq5hTLy.jpg

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite

and furthermore always carry a small snake - W C Fields

#9 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:50 AM

A Victorian victorious - happy and glorious!

It was a fantastic performance from the bloke!

#10 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:30 AM

The other items of note are plans to 'exclude' some 3rd party deals & cars,etc used by players from the cap ?

These are the main items Melbourne got crucified over in 2010.

There is also the 'option in review' of a Marquee player being paid 'outside the salary cap'

Thanks for this.

I did see that piece and I'm slightly alarmed by it, I must say. I'm particularly bemused that Smith talks in glowing terms about the English Premier League, which is the exact antithesis of what the NRL seems to stand for (eg competition, spreading of talent). If the cap is steadily increasing then why the panic to secure "marquee" players and discredit the cap, especially at such a time when it seems that the player drain is nothing more than a tiny trickle? Has anyone even asked SBW if a marquee contract will keep him in NRL indefinitely? I strongly doubt that it would. And how about those incumbent marquee players (Smith, Slater, Thurston, Inglis, Hayne, Farah etc.) already tied to contracts - do they get an instant contract boost? 

I think there's a real danger that the NRL make a huge knee jerk misjudgement here that moves us away from the week in-week out intensity we all love and possibly engenders a degree of resentment from established stars loyal to the sport. But I hope that I'm wrong and that common sense prevails.

#11 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

The crowd's have been a worry this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users