TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

2014 and onwards!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,005 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

Well last week the Championship clubs had a meeting at Dewsbury and the RFL Chief executive announced that evening that all the Championship clubs were fully supportive of the new restructuring system and of the option of 2 x 12 teams, splitting in to 3 x 8 teams later in the season.

There has been a complete lack of information coming from the RFL and the clubs about this and most fans that I speak with seem to think it merely creates more questions than answers.

Last night Ralph Rimmer and Blake Solly were answering questions at a meeting with supporters with their responses listed on Twitter and from what we can read it seems certain that from the start of 2015 season we will be in to this new system of 2 x 12; 3 x 8.

First of all to get to that stage the 2014 season will be the one that decides which teams play in which league, the names of which have not been sorted but are getting called SL1 and SL2.

At the end of the 2014 season two clubs will be relegated out of SL1 in to SL2 to get SL1 down to 12 teams. To get our current league down to 12 from 14 we also have to lose 2 teams plus another 2 to make way for the 2 being relegated from SL1. There is some talk of Toulouse being admitted to SL2 and if that happens then that means another team will have to be lost from our league making a grand total of 4 or 5 current Championship clubs dropping down to Championship 1. So, to ensure survival in this league under its new name we have to finish no lower than 9th (if Toulouse are to be admitted) or 10th (with no Toulouse).

It doesn't take an Einstein to work it out that many clubs in our league will be looking to strengthen their squads in order to finish in that top 9 or 10 and I can foresee some pushing themselves to the limit to survive.

For all this upheaval there has to be some benefits one would think but the main benefits seem to be all for the SL1's 12 teams plus the top four in SL2 and mainly financial. The 12 SL1 teams will be receiving £1.3 million each. The top four SL2 clubs will receive £650k; £600k; £550k and £500k in order of finishing positions. The 5th club will get £200k and then others down to 12th get a lesser amount depending on position, so a team finishing about 9th would get somewhere in the region of £175k. Clubs in Championship 1 will receive around £75k each.

In the 2015 season after each team in both leagues has played the other 11 teams home and away plus a Magic Weekend for both leagues, a total of 23 matches, the two leagues split in to 3 groups of 8 teams. The top 8 in SL1 play each other once and add the points to their points from the 23 matches. The highest finishing clubs getting the 4 home games in the 7 games. After all these matches the top four then go on to play for the Grand Final places.

The bottom four in SL1 and the top 4 from SL2 will play each other just once with the SL2 teams having the 4 home matches and at the end of these 7 games the top four of these clubs will be in SL 1 the following season.

The remaining 8 clubs from SL2 will also play each other once and the bottom club from these 7 matches will be relegated. These matches are added to the points from the first 23 matches and the finishing positions in these 7 matches will decide the amount of money the club will receive. It doesn't seem to have been decided which clubs get the 4 home games and which get 4 away games!!!

The minimum criteria for entry in to SL2 seems to be "would a broadcaster be able to televise a live match at your ground?".

EDIT: It appears that the 7 match results are added to the 23 matches in the third group of 8.

Edited by Keith T, 31 July 2013 - 06:01 PM.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#2 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

My head's spinning after  reading that ! What do we expect from a bunch of clowns who make it up as they go along, the same idiots who are playing Englands opening world cup game against the Aussies in Wales..........You couldn't make it up. :rtfm:

#3 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:47 PM

No wonder the game is dying with all this rubbish going on.

#4 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,348 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:51 PM

Well Sheffield aren't to keen from what I read , and good on them for that . We have the league we've been waiting to get in for ages - 14 teams , 26 games , and yes it's a strong top 5 but in time that will become a strong top 6, 7 and 8 . Every game means something . It should be kept as it is with promotion to SL back in . They mess up our league just as byproduct of wanting to change SL . Our league works so they rip it up , typical .
And does our board support the changes then ? I guess so ?

#5 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:35 PM

so yet agin everyone gets what no one wants,im yet to speak to anyone who thought this was the best out of all the proposals put forward.Slowly but surely they re killing our game.Thieir no PR has been a disater yet no one is held accountable, no doubt in 2017 when this set up fails we will go through it all again.At times i think being in CH1 might not be a bad option ,at least you know where you stand and are not constantly under threat from one thing or another

Edited by haven4ever, 31 July 2013 - 04:36 PM.

#6 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,348 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:37 PM

Who comes up with these ideas in the first place , do we know ?? It's like the Italian Job .... ' Guys I've got a great idea '...

Edited by DavidM, 31 July 2013 - 04:38 PM.

#7 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

Well Sheffield aren't to keen from what I read , and good on them for that . We have the league we've been waiting to get in for ages - 14 teams , 26 games , and yes it's a strong top 5 but in time that will become a strong top 6, 7 and 8 . Every game means something . It should be kept as it is with promotion to SL back in . They mess up our league just as byproduct of wanting to change SL . Our league works so they rip it up , typical .
And does our board support the changes then ? I guess so ?

Fully agree David this seasons games have been fantastic compared to previous years, every Sunday has been a nail biter with some highs  and lows along the way. All they needed to do was make it one up and one down to give the Championship sides something to aim at, with a minimum criteria to gain entry to SL.

#8 Alineden

Alineden
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

I think the majority of people in the Rugby League community are seeing things wrong. All the emphasis seems to be on making our top tier (SL) as strong as possible. This is obviously a good thing but at what cost to the game overall. The stronger the top tier becomes the greater the gulf between top tier and the next (CH) becomes. Then trying to promote a team from a part time CH league to a full time SL becomes unachievable. And I'm sure we can all see that without the target of gaining promotion being achievable many clubs will just fall further and further behind to the point where in 10 or 20 years time there might 12 SL teams and nothing else below. People will start to lose interest in RL and TV viewing figures will drop as will the money coming into the game.

The solution in my opinion is not to carry on trying to strengthen SL alone but to strengthen the Championship and reduce the gulf between the two leagues.

Ultimately the Rugby League should be aiming to have a second tier (CH) that in time is also made up of full time professional clubs. This would make it easier to survive promotion to SL and also it wouldn't be the end of the road to be relegated from SL to the Championship.

And I wouldn't stop there. That achieved I'd then look to strengthen the third tier (CH1) as a priority.

Don't get me wrong it could take 10-20 years to get there but what's the odds that with the current way of thinking in 10-20 years time the powers that be will still be running round in circles trying out ridiculous experiments with our game.

#9 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:26 PM

And still throwing money away in areas where RL will NEVER take off!

#10 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:26 PM

This years Championship is probably the most competitive the second tier has ever been, aptly demonstrated at the weekend by the Town and Swinton results. To do away with the current league structure would be madness.

"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

#11 rockerlad

rockerlad
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:57 PM

The championship is the only league worth taking an interest in. Super league is boring!

#12 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:02 PM

Championship one has been great this year with some cracking matches .All the clubs can beat any other on their day .But I still want my team to get out of it via promotion.
Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

#13 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,005 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:23 PM

As it was stated that all the Championship clubs were fully supportive of the new system, I wonder how many of those clubs sought views of their fans prior to giving their support?

The same theme seems to be common on several forums, i.e. no information being forthcoming from their clubs.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#14 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,851 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:04 PM

Anyone else heard about Sam Forester signing for next season?

#15 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:05 PM

Whitehaven have........now

#16 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,851 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

Someone has posted it on the haven site. Just wondered if its true.

#17 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

I hope it is!

#18 Bearintown

Bearintown
  • Coach
  • 327 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:04 PM

Heard that weeks ago but who knows

#19 bluewhite10

bluewhite10
  • Workington
  • 296 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:40 AM

True
bluewhitearmy

#20 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,699 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

he got injured recently which cancelled his oz tour. if he has its a great signing but could mean briscoe or carter wont be as i cant see us wanting 3 full backs.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users