RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Challange Cup Final Trip

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 Spelly

Spelly
  • Coach
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

Very well put Spelly

I think to sum up.. we would be happier if we had an unselfish governing body which had moved with the times as much as the sports science and the athletes themselves have.

Then I would be a happy man! But I'm not gonna hold my breath!

Spelly.

"--- and then on the eighth day, God created Rugby League."

Daily, my intense dislike of the Pinks, Rugby Yawnion, Manchester United, and far-right politics, grows ever larger, and will continue to do so forever more!

Question! What's the connection between Rugby League and Rugby Yawnion? Answer! There isn't one!

My girl-friend asked "If you had to choose between me and Swinton who would it be?" I replied "You know the answer to that one without even asking!"

#22 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 401 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:04 PM

Yeah, where Lindop / Thompson / Clay weren't happy till we'd wasted forever trying to get the scrum-half to throw it in "legally" and get the hooker to bind in accordance with the laws, and then blowing up for "feeding" or "feet-up" . Scrums were / are a blot on RL, and the sooner they're despatched to the history books, the better our game will become! 

Today's players are fitter / faster / leaner, and yes better, than their counterparts when you / Keith / I were first cutting our teeth on the terraces at Station Road, and the game is a better spectacle for it!

Tell me Sam Tomkins has no flair! Name me one from the (so-called) good old days who was a better captain / leader / goalkicker than Kevin Sinfield!

Let's compare other sports - Snooker - Joe Davies dominated the game for yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeears, and yet in all that time, managed just one maximum break. Ronnie O'Sullivan has done eleven!

Darts - Phil Taylor and Co have put about ten points on the three dart averages from when Eric Bristow and his cohorts were toeing the oche!

Athletics - Roger Bannister had not even rounded the last bend in the times that are regularly being run by the guys of today. Usain Bolt is half a second quicker over 100 metres than when Lunch-Box Linford won his gold medal!

Swimming - Mark Spitz won seven gold medals, all in world record times at the Munich Olympics, but he could only have dreamt of the times that are set now!

If other sports have improved, why has in your (and Keith's) opinion, RL gone backwards? The answer is (in my opinion) it hasn't, and is far better in 2013, than it was in 1963!

Spelly.

To my friend Spelly:

Why pick 1963? How about the 1990s? Are you claiming that today's game is better than that
played under the rules existing for the 1990 GB v Aus. Ashes series? I would have to
respectfully disagree. That could be the best RL ever seen, at least in my lifetime. Certainly the most competitive. By the way, I was at Wembley for what I refer to as the Ellery Hanley
Test in 1990 and the 1992 World Cup Final. I remember Hanley fooling the whole Aussie team
with a great move from the scrum.
I can't for the life of me see what was wrong with the game then that justified such massive
changes. Help me out!

Is it better that there are no more tours? Is it better that the British Lions now play under the RU banner? That RU has taken so much prominence that it's about to be an Olympic sport?
It may be Rugby Yawnion to you but it's rugby takeover to me.

Sam Tomkins has flair, yes. More than Andy Gregory or Alex Murphy or Dave Bolton, or Daz
Davies or Danny Wilson or Wally Lewis? Who knows, it's one opinion versus another and
comparing generations is a no win game.
Kevin Sinfield? Great player. Better leader than Ellery Hanley? Opinion! How many wingers
today are better than Martin Offiah, centres better than Mal Meninga?

For me, RL stands for Rugby Lite and has since 1996!

My vote is to go back to RL as it existed prior to SL, scrums and all!

That doesn't mean I support the Lions any less than I did in the 60s. The two subjects are
unrelated!
Posted Image

#23 Spelly

Spelly
  • Coach
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:49 PM

To my mate across the Pond!

I've not pressed "Quote" as it'll save a shed-load of space!

You mentioned Ellery, and to me, he is (was?) the greatest player ever to grace our game, but that was two decades ago, the football of today is so much faster now, so could he live with it?

Greg was the tops in his day, but I doubt he could cope with RL's modern pace!

When asked "What's your best ever team?"  my answer is always "The '82 Aussies." These guys went through the best that GB could throw at 'em like a dose of salts, winning every match they played, but (and it's all about opinions I agree) I think 31 years on, the game they played would look pedestrian compared with the class of 2013! 

Would you really like to go back to contested scrums? I certainly wouldn't!  Unlimited tackles? The standard of tactical kicking has improved immeasurably since that was binned, and the 40/20 rule must be one of the best innovations in the sport's rich history! 

We'll never see eye to eye on this I know, but I look forward  to your next visit, when we can (yet again) try to convince each other!  

Keep smiling mon ami!

Spelly..

Edited by Spelly, 03 August 2013 - 07:54 PM.

Daily, my intense dislike of the Pinks, Rugby Yawnion, Manchester United, and far-right politics, grows ever larger, and will continue to do so forever more!

Question! What's the connection between Rugby League and Rugby Yawnion? Answer! There isn't one!

My girl-friend asked "If you had to choose between me and Swinton who would it be?" I replied "You know the answer to that one without even asking!"

#24 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 788 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:27 PM

But Ali is STILL the best!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#25 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 523 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:03 AM

That players are fitter, faster, stronger today is down to leaps forward in sports science. Given the same advantages of course class players from yesteryear could play in the modern era. And fitter, faster, stronger does not equal "better" or more entertaining. For the same reason it's unfair to compare endurance sports such as running, swimming & cycling over different periods. In other sports the top men have been able to take advantage of being able to practice as full-time professionals, rather than part-timers with other jobs.

#26 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 401 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

That players are fitter, faster, stronger today is down to leaps forward in sports science. Given the same advantages of course class players from yesteryear could play in the modern era. And fitter, faster, stronger does not equal "better" or more entertaining. For the same reason it's unfair to compare endurance sports such as running, swimming & cycling over different periods. In other sports the top men have been able to take advantage of being able to practice as full-time professionals, rather than part-timers with other jobs.

Not to mention the impact of PEDs!

Posted Image

#27 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 401 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

To Spelly. Unfortunately the switch from Sunday to Thursday for the York match has denied me the opportunity for my annual pilgrimage to see the Lions play and the opportunity to buy you a pint.

Is it true the club doesn't get any money from TV? 

Posted Image

#28 Spelly

Spelly
  • Coach
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:46 PM

Doug,

That's a real downer you can't make a game this term, especially as it's a proverbial six-pointer.

Maybe by next season our (widely differing) views might have mellowed, but there again..................... :tongue:

As far as I know, you're right that the club(s) get nowt from the Premier Sport televised games.

Spelly.

• lionsfanusa likes this

#29 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:02 PM

and I though Doug was called Geoff ?  :tongue:

#30 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:46 PM

That players are fitter, faster, stronger today is down to leaps forward in sports science.

And fitter, faster, stronger does not equal "better" or more entertaining. 

Exactly, I've been saying it for years. They churn out players today who are basically strong, fit ATHLETES, not strong, fit RUGBY FOOTBALLERS as they used to do when the game was far better IMO.

Rugby footballers used to create and score cracking tries using old fashioned, now outdated, little tricks such as a sudden change of pace, a sidestep or a swerve to wrong foot defenders.

These days RL playing athletes only move in straight lines and pass the ball as if they are programmed robots having had a special Aussie-Sky TV microchip implanted in their unimaginative brains (if they've got one - a brain, that is).

:tease:   

#31 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 401 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:20 AM

Doug/Geoff heard from his airline today that the schedule has changed meaning an earlier arrival and the distinct possibility of making the York match with time to spare.

How would I get to and from LSV from our central Manchester hotel?

Posted Image

#32 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 523 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:58 AM

Take a number 12, 25, 26 or x34 bus from Piccadilly to Leigh bus station. Journey will take about an hour and even take you through Swinton! Timetable on First Bus Manchester website.. A day saver will cost £4. Or Taxi for probably about 10 times that amount each way.

#33 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:11 AM

I guess when I was watching Michael Dobson step swerve and side step on Friday night I was imagining things

Jamie Soward
Justin Carney
Brett Hodgson
Joel Monaghan
Michael monaghan

Well its 6am and I've not even started....you can watch some pretty varied skills frim these few without even stretching your brain. ..yes they have one too

Oh what about Pat Richards drop goal from the touch line at half way?
Skill less

Generalisation is a real enemy of us all!

#34 Spelly

Spelly
  • Coach
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:08 AM

One again, I drop a b*****k!

I was thinking aloud about a mate of mine, when typing a post to Geoff, just proving again my daughter's long held view that men can't multi-task!

My sincerest apologies to Geoff!

Spelly.

#35 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 401 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:24 PM

Take a number 12, 25, 26 or x34 bus from Piccadilly to Leigh bus station. Journey will take about an hour and even take you through Swinton! Timetable on First Bus Manchester website.. A day saver will cost £4. Or Taxi for probably about 10 times that amount each way.

Thanks, Steve.

Is LSV close to the Leigh bus station?

Posted Image

#36 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 764 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:35 PM

All are welcome get in touch if you are interested.

http://www.hornetsru...age.php?id=2246
Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

#37 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 523 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:26 PM

Takes about 12 mins. Turn left out of the bus station & over the humped back bridge over the canal. Then take the 2nd right through the estate and keep going and you'll see the stadium to your left over a practice pitch and car park. Google street view should help get your bearings beforehand. Or just follow the thousands of Lions fans stampeding to the ground!!!

#38 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 401 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:04 PM

Takes about 12 mins. Turn left out of the bus station & over the humped back bridge over the canal. Then take the 2nd right through the estate and keep going and you'll see the stadium to your left over a practice pitch and car park. Google street view should help get your bearings beforehand. Or just follow the thousands of Lions fans stampeding to the ground!!!

Thanks Steve.

Any particular pre-match pub?

Posted Image

#39 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 523 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

A few of us go in the White Lion which is turn right out of the bus station, then about 400 yds down on the right. From there we get a mini bus to the ground. Welcome to join us. There's a bus at 22.05 from Leigh back to Manchester.

#40 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 546 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:01 AM

A few of us go in the White Lion which is turn right out of the bus station, then about 400 yds down on the right. From there we get a mini bus to the ground. Welcome to join us. There's a bus at 22.05 from Leigh back to Manchester.

A very aptly named pub Steve. I wouldn't expect anything less though from such an ardent supporter and knowledge bank as yourself. Don't now go and shatter the illusion and say it's just because they serve cheap beer!
Do our guys get changed in there before the match??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users