Challange Cup Final Trip

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 416 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:09 PM

A few of us go in the White Lion which is turn right out of the bus station, then about 400 yds down on the right. From there we get a mini bus to the ground. Welcome to join us. There's a bus at 22.05 from Leigh back to Manchester.

Sounds great. I'll be the guy with the large American flag!  ;)

I can get my match tickets at LSV on my way in?

Posted Image

#42 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 585 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

Strangely enough it's pure coincidence! But they do sell quality English ale at reasonable prices! Friendly little pub opposite the church. Not sure what time I'll be there as I think the plan is to finish work early and have a couple of pints via Wigan first. Should imagine we'll be there at least an hour before kick off though.

#43 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 585 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

Buy your ticket at the ground for £15 immediately before kick off. Don't worry I doubt there will be much of a queue!

#44 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 416 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

Buy your ticket at the ground for £15 immediately before kick off. Don't worry I doubt there will be much of a queue!

Thanks Steve, you have been a big help!

Posted Image

#45 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:30 PM

Exactly, I've been saying it for years. They churn out players today who are basically strong, fit ATHLETES, not strong, fit RUGBY FOOTBALLERS as they used to do when the game was far better IMO.

Rugby footballers used to create and score cracking tries using old fashioned, now outdated, little tricks such as a sudden change of pace, a sidestep or a swerve to wrong foot defenders.

These days RL playing athletes only move in straight lines and pass the ball as if they are programmed robots having had a special Aussie-Sky TV microchip implanted in their unimaginative brains (if they've got one - a brain, that is).

:tease:

Keith I hope you watched Josh Charnleys try for Wigan on Friday he kind of blew your argument out of the water.
Scored a blinder using pace,guile, strength and certainly a rugby brain.

#46 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:31 AM

Keith I hope you watched Josh Charnley's try for Wigan on Friday he kind of blew your argument out of the water.
Scored a blinder using pace,guile, strength and certainly a rugby brain.

Yes of course there are still are some good FOOTBALLERS out there, but I still maintain the basics of my point of view, that FOOTBALLERS are in a minority in the game today due to a general trend towards fielding highly tuned/trained muscular ATHLETES. And I believe many others see it this way too when they cast their minds back to how things used to be without them 'living in the past' as some would accuse.

I challenge anyone to watch highlights from some matches from years ago just to see what I’m talking about. I recommend the 1978 Leeds v St Helens final (see link below), generally considered a classic, which includes commentary by none other than ‘Uncle Eddie’ Waring as a bonus. (note how the absence of sponsorship on the players’ kit really makes them look unbelievably smart unlike today's horrors)

:bye:

Edited by Blue Monkey, 10 August 2013 - 09:37 AM.

#47 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:09 PM

Blue Monkey argues from the heart with his insistance that the game was better in days gone by.

There were great players playing in great teams then and there still are today.  It's easy to pick edited highlights of matches to try and prove a point but the same could be done to show the best of the modern game. Yes it's different now and Blue Monkey thinks it's a poorer version of the game than it used to be but all sports evolve over time.  Some things in RL have changed for the better and some for the worse but change is inevitable.

Even at our present level it's still a great sport to watch even if we have had a pretty awful season overall.  I'd love to go back to my youth and have the Lions of the sixties playing thrilling top level rugby at Station Road but we have got what we have got and I still enjoy the experience no matter how different it is.  Credit to the dedicated part timers in the game who turn out and give their all to the best of their ability in representing Swinton and entertaining the faithful few who still enjoy the ups and downs of following our team.  

Edited by dummy scissors, 10 August 2013 - 09:12 PM.

#48 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:56 PM

Blue Monkey argues from the heart with his insistance that the game was better in days gone by.

There were great players playing in great teams then and there still are today. It's easy to pick edited highlights of matches to try and prove a point but the same could be done to show the best of the modern game. Yes it's different now and Blue Monkey thinks it's a poorer version of the game than it used to be but all sports evolve over time. Some things in RL have changed for the better and some for the worse but change is inevitable.

Even at our present level it's still a great sport to watch even if we have had a pretty awful season overall. I'd love to go back to my youth and have the Lions of the sixties playing thrilling top level rugby at Station Road but we have got what we have got and I still enjoy the experience no matter how different it is. Credit to the dedicated part timers in the game who turn out and give their all to the best of their ability in representing Swinton and entertaining the faithful few who still enjoy the ups and downs of following our team.

Great post

#49 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:28 AM

I agree, so realistically it boils down to the fact you can't compete different years and I am in agreement with that.
Look at Brazil with teams including Pele, etc are they still the same entertainers...

#50 Spelly

Spelly
  • Coach
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

Today's Rugby League players are quicker, fitter, and yes, BETTER, than when Keith and I were cutting our teeth on the terraces at Station Road!

Shirts without sponsors' logo(s) on? Nooooooooooooo way, they're far smarter with 'em on!

Spelly.

"--- and then on the eighth day, God created Rugby League."

Daily, my intense dislike of the Pinks, Rugby Yawnion, Manchester United, and far-right politics, grows ever larger, and will continue to do so forever more!

Question! What's the connection between Rugby League and Rugby Yawnion? Answer! There isn't one!

My girl-friend asked "If you had to choose between me and Swinton who would it be?" I replied "You know the answer to that one without even asking!"

#51 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 585 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:57 PM

Yep, my favourite shirt logos have been "David McLean Homes" and "IN Salford". Very smart.

#52 Spelly

Spelly
  • Coach
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

Yep, my favourite shirt logos have been "David McLean Homes" and "IN Salford". Very smart.

Touché mon ami! But..................

When we had "In Pinksville" on 'em I had it covered up, and it read "spelly.com"

Spelly.

"--- and then on the eighth day, God created Rugby League."

Daily, my intense dislike of the Pinks, Rugby Yawnion, Manchester United, and far-right politics, grows ever larger, and will continue to do so forever more!

Question! What's the connection between Rugby League and Rugby Yawnion? Answer! There isn't one!

My girl-friend asked "If you had to choose between me and Swinton who would it be?" I replied "You know the answer to that one without even asking!"

#53 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 585 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:47 PM

Ha ha good one Spelly'

#54 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

Today's Rugby League players are quicker, fitter, and yes, BETTER, than when Keith and I were cutting our teeth on the terraces at Station Road!

Shirts without sponsors' logo(s) on? Nooooooooooooo way, they're far smarter with 'em on!

Spelly.

..."are quicker, fitter, and yes, BETTER..."

In my view this should say ..."are quicker, fitter but NOT BETTER - and that's for sure!

..."they're far smarter with 'em on!"

Come off it, how can a playing strip with sponsorship POLLUTION all over it be smarter? Quite the reverse surely must be true. How can anyone really honestly say teams look smarter these days than when players strutted their stuff in ultra smart jerseys bearing only a classy club badge and a number on the back? If that's the case, then you seriously need to go to Specsavers - and pretty damned quick!

Today's sponsored strips are sadly lacking in the dignity they once possessed, or is that a word (“dignity”) of little or no importance to some of you out there?

:codemafia:        :shout: 

Edited by Blue Monkey, 11 August 2013 - 07:00 PM.

#55 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:10 PM

I'm not sure where dignity comes into it but I agree that strips used to look much smarter without sponsors names on them.  But yet again times have changed so lets live with it.

#56 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

Its a matter of opinion . There's no right or wrong
Old players v new players.
Sponsored shirts or plain shirts

Sweeping generalisations are just silly

#57 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:24 PM

I'm not sure where dignity comes into it but I agree that strips used to look much smarter without sponsors names on them.  

Many thanks DS for your vote of support.

"I'm not sure where dignity comes into it..."

One excellent example (of sporting sartorial dignity) springs to mind when a former Lion from the glory days of the '60s (I think it was Barry Simpson) told me how he loved turning out in the change strip (home matches then) of all white with a blue V as it made them “look like Great Britain". In other words, even more dignified (superior) than the usual blue with white V.

:tease:

#58 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 923 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:12 PM

Yes of course there are still are some good FOOTBALLERS out there, but I still maintain the basics of my point of view, that FOOTBALLERS are in a minority in the game today due to a general trend towards fielding highly tuned/trained muscular ATHLETES. And I believe many others see it this way too when they cast their minds back to how things used to be without them 'living in the past' as some would accuse.

I challenge anyone to watch highlights from some matches from years ago just to see what I’m talking about. I recommend the 1978 Leeds v St Helens final (see link below), generally considered a classic, which includes commentary by none other than ‘Uncle Eddie’ Waring as a bonus. (note how the absence of sponsorship on the players’ kit really makes them look unbelievably smart unlike today's horrors)

:bye:

Sorry Keith but I didnt see anything there that I don't see now......apart from some dodgy taches, numerous shredded wheat comb overs and a group of men who wouldnt pass a pre season fitness test nowadays!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#59 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 585 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

I've just watched "Another Bloody Sunday", the documentary about Doncaster RL in 1979. Absolutely hilarious. And some proper athletes on show back then !!!

#60 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 923 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:35 PM

'Footballers' Steve!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users