Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sam Tomkins

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,939 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

Confirmed on sky sports news he hasn't signed a deal with an NRL club yet despities e receiving offers from the NRL and is also currently happy at Wigan. Good news for SL as it stands.

On another note he deserves a lot of credit for the work he did for the 'living for sport' program. The project took 5 months to complete as has likely helped the lives all the young people he was involved with. He also came across brilliantly on the camera and put the image of RL players in a great light. He's certainly going to have many career opportunities once his RL career is over.

Great stuff from Sam.

#2 St.Clarence.

St.Clarence.
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

I'll second that,he came across as a decent bloke and a credit to Rugby league.He will certainly have changed the lives of some of them kids for good.

Well done Sam.

#3 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

Another year at Wigan and then off to saracens I'm afraid, will do the rah rah WC then turn up with his other two bro in AUS...that's my prediction. He is though a credit to our sport.

#4 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:21 PM

Another year at Wigan and then off to saracens I'm afraid, will do the rah rah WC then turn up with his other two bro in AUS...that's my prediction. He is though a credit to our sport.

He has left it too late for the Union World Cup. If he had wanted to convert he would have had it 2012 or even 2011 if he was going to give himself a fair chance.

He will be off to the NRL sooner or later.

#5 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

He has left it too late for the Union World Cup. If he had wanted to convert he would have had it 2012 or even 2011 if he was going to give himself a fair chance.

Really hope you are right, though think you are wrong with him leaving it late, he's class, a one off who would have no problems switching. He's said he wants to live in London, can't see himlaying for the Bronocos, also Wha stood by a 'source' when Joel signed that so had Sam in principle, but would only join after another three years at Wigan...we'll see !

#6 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

I'd hate to see him waste his talent in union. Seems like a really nice lad. A credit to himself and his parents.

#7 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

he might not have signed a contract but that doesnt mean he hasn't accepted an offer in principle..

He's nailed on for the NRL.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#8 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:21 PM

If he really wanted to play in the Union World Cup I would have imagined he would given himself more time. If he left for Union at the end of the 2013 season he would only have a season and half to get to grips with Union before the World Cup. Also his skill set isn't directly transferable like a winger or even a centre so his conversion wouldn't be entirely straight forward.

Edited by Duff Duff, 31 July 2013 - 09:23 PM.

#9 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:37 PM

Does any league player really want to play in a union World Cup, or are those that go simply attracted to the filthy lucre?

I ask because to me it's a sport that has zero attraction.

#10 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:37 PM

Does any league player really want to play in a union World Cup, or are those that go simply attracted to the filthy lucre?

Well it has attracted a fair amount if Rugby League talent over the years.

I would assume Tomkins would still play at full back if he did go over and getting used to the differences would take time. I can't see it happening personally.

As with all the top players in England he should go and prove himself in the NRL. If he went to Auckland he would be the star player and could take the competition by storm.

#11 twosevenzero

twosevenzero
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:23 PM

A pint of what he's been drinking please landlord !!!!

"Are you a jew by any chance ?", "No, a tree fell on me".

FIOS

#12 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

Successful sportsmen are ego driven and crave recognition and a big stage to perform on. Like it or not, rugby union offers both.

My only doubt is whether Sam's skill-set would be wasted in RU.

#13 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,075 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

I'd expect they'd play him on the wing, where he could get a nice view of the ball being kicked instead of passed to him.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#14 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:39 PM

The sport has zero attraction to me as well but it would be foolish not to recognize it's obvious draw for league players both here and down under, as well as the 6 nations and lions tours. As much as it pains me to say this the recent crowds, media coverage and hype of the last union world cup and recent lions tour to australia clear show and prove how international rugby union dwarfs international rugby league. But with a hopefully successful rugby league world cup followed up by a four nations tournament and maybe a lions tour down under the fight back can start.

#15 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

Successful sportsmen are ego driven and crave recognition and a big stage to perform on. Like it or not, rugby union offers both.

I totally agree with you 100% on both points, sportsmen want to be recognized and perform on the big stage and Tomkins talent would be wasted playing union.

#16 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

I'd expect they'd play him on the wing, where he could get a nice view of the ball being kicked instead of passed to him.

They'd probably ease him in like Kyle eastmond, play him on the Wing then move him infield to the centres or fullback.

#17 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,075 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:16 PM

The sport has zero attraction to me as well but it would be foolish not to recognize it's obvious draw for league players both here and down under, as well as the 6 nations and lions tours. As much as it pains me to say this the recent crowds, media coverage and hype of the last union world cup and recent lions tour to australia clear show and prove how international rugby union dwarfs international rugby league. But with a hopefully successful rugby league world cup followed up by a four nations tournament and maybe a lions tour down under the fight back can start.

The RU Lions tour has a guaranteed built-in story - they can claim "the first Lions victory in 12 years" when they beat the Wabbalies as if it's a big deal. 

What it actually is, is that with tours every 4 years, the intervening two tours were against good teams. :P 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#18 Saint Until I Die

Saint Until I Die
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:13 PM

I totally agree with you 100% on both points, sportsmen want to be recognized and perform on the big stage and Tomkins talent would be wasted playing union.

Realistically the only positions he could play in Rugby Union are on the wing, or at Full-Back. Defensively he isn't strong enough to play as a Full-Back in my opinion, but playing him in the wing practically takes half of his strike threat. I said the same about Eastmond though and he looks to have settled in alright playing at 12.

Either way, I can't see him going to Rugby Union anyway. If he does it will be after a stint in the NRL but that's a highly unlikely switch in my opinion.

#19 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:34 PM

I played with a lad who trained with him for England youth team and he assures me Sam tomkins is an absolute ###### most arrogant ##### he as met (his words). Joel however is an absolute cracking lad by all accounts.

#20 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

Possibly although my mate is dong well enough I can assure you of that. Don't get me wrong to me he seems a decent nice lad but maybe my mate has only seen him in competitive environment and mistaken his competitiveness for arrogance it happens lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users