Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Man of steel for 2013?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 TheAbster

TheAbster
  • Players
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

it was a joke about charnleys post on twitter of a photo of his knob........

I know that, i was just wondering if it was you that league freak used to argue with?

#22 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,986 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

yes me and freaky used to cross swords in the old days, along with simac and hannibal
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#23 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:06 AM

I think it's harsh to rule out wingers for this award, its like ruling out strikers for football awards.
That said, i dont think just scoring tries is enough. For a winger to take it they need to do more than fall over the line with the ball. They need to be doing the hard yards, scoring wonder tries, making try saving tackles etc.

O'Loughlin is a good shout, Tomkins will always be there.
From my team im not sure we have had a real standout - probably the three that impress me most at Wire this year are Higham, Waterhouse and Grix, and not sure any of these have been special enough.

As has been pointed out, the next 10weeks could decide it.

#24 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,778 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:25 AM

Charnley has been outstanding...

...and he's also played very well for Wigan. ;)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#25 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

Brough, Lockers or Sam from what I've seen. A lot of the big games are yet to be played. Be interesting to see how Brough goes a week on Friday, after disappearing against the Wire in their cup capitulation.
Farrell has had a great year, and would be a worthy winner. I wouldn't pick him for England, though.

Brough often gets credited with going missing when the Giants get beat. It's usually the forwards that have gone missing giving the halves little or no chance to shine, We have been getting beatings from Wire for years there must be reasons besides Brough for that, He is well respectable in most of the stats i think.

My list is, O Loughlin, Houghton, Brough, Kirmond, Lunt and Higham as longshots.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#26 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:54 PM

My choice would be between Danny brough and Danny Houghton but can see either Tomkins or charnley getting it. As for young player of the year it must be Ben crooks.

#27 Gally

Gally
  • Players
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:52 PM

I think it's harsh to rule out wingers for this award, its like ruling out strikers for football awards.
That said, i dont think just scoring tries is enough. For a winger to take it they need to do more than fall over the line with the ball. They need to be doing the hard yards, scoring wonder tries, making try saving tackles etc.

O'Loughlin is a good shout, Tomkins will always be there.
From my team im not sure we have had a real standout - probably the three that impress me most at Wire this year are Higham, Waterhouse and Grix, and not sure any of these have been special enough.

As has been pointed out, the next 10weeks could decide it.

Agree completely, I seem to remember Goulding matching Richards for tries when Pat won MoS. Richards had so much extra to his game though, ran the ball as well as any second rower would do and his kciking was second to none.

As far as this season goes, I think it's between O'Loughlin and Brough. I'm a big fan of Farrell, but he's too much of a value added player for MoS. Gets through a phenomenal amount of work and very adept at breaking the line, but I just don't think he could be anything like as impressive if he was in a lesser team.

#28 Saint Until I Die

Saint Until I Die
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

I'd probably say Danny Houghton. His work rate his unbelievable and I have yet to see a game where he hasn't delivered for Hull. Huge engine on him, and he leads by example week in, week out. Tops the majority of the stat charts, and as I say he is as consistent a player as their is in Super League in my opinion.

At Saints, I would have to say Walmsley. In a year where our more experienced forwards haven't shown up for the majority, he has adapted to brilliantly to Super League in my opinion. Nothing fancy; just hard solid work and hopefully with Walsh and a new Stand-Off at the club next season, we will be able to make a bit more of that. Huge future ahead of him.

#29 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,974 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:02 PM

Seeing as this has drifted into both Man of Steel and Player of the Year for your club, I'd have the top three for Man of Steel as;

James Roby, Kevin Sinfield, Rangi Chase...

Only joking...

Sean O'Loughlin, Danny Brough, Jamie Peacock ... with an honourable mention, or most improved award, to Danny Kirmond. If he carries on playing like he has (Sunday apart, hope he has a shocker) then I'd add him to make it a 4 way choice.

As for the Bulls player of the year up to now, I'd split it between Nick Scruton (who is returning to his best and would do a good job for England) and Elliot Kear, who still hasn't give up even though we didn't have a game last week, he's like a Duracell bunny.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#30 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:30 PM

If not Brough then Kirmond - who has been a legend this season IMO.

#31 Forever Trinity

Forever Trinity
  • Coach
  • 634 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

kirmo

#32 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

Seeing as this has drifted into both Man of Steel and Player of the Year for your club, I'd have the top three for Man of Steel as;

James Roby, Kevin Sinfield, Rangi Chase...

Only joking...

Sean O'Loughlin, Danny Brough, Jamie Peacock ... with an honourable mention, or most improved award, to Danny Kirmond. If he carries on playing like he has (Sunday apart, hope he has a shocker) then I'd add him to make it a 4 way choice.

As for the Bulls player of the year up to now, I'd split it between Nick Scruton (who is returning to his best and would do a good job for England) and Elliot Kear, who still hasn't give up even though we didn't have a game last week, he's like a Duracell bunny.

Funny how you joke about those names but in reality they are 3 of the first 4 names on the teamsheet in Steve McNamaras England squad.

#33 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:05 PM

Not sure Walmsley has done enough to win MOS, but I must say I have been impressed by him this year.

Compared to the rest of Saints powder puff pack, he runs strong, and is definitely a big enough lump to push on in the next few years.

LMS somehow seems to grab the headlines, but I like to see a prop who turns up to play all the time, not just when he feels like it.

Indeed, I think this has been the cause of much frustration during his time with us. If he regularly played as well as he did against Wigan a couple of weeks ago then he'd be an MoS contender himself.

Danny Kirmond is a great shout.

#34 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

Funny how you joke about those names but in reality they are 3 of the first 4 names on the teamsheet in Steve McNamaras England squad.

I'm not laughing.

#35 morleyrhino

morleyrhino
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:49 PM

kirmond or brough 4 me both been on fire this season. Kirmonds form would see him start in the back row of any of the top sl clubs.

#36 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:01 AM

It must be the high standards that Tomkins sets that he isn't front and centre in the discussion. I know he has missed a few games, but 23 tries and 19 try assists in 16 games are phenomenal statistics. Aside from the above, my front runners would be Brough, O'Loughlin, Kirmond and Houghton. Chase has also impressed again at times this year, but the Cas resurgence under Powell has arrived a bit late. Crooks should win Young Player, but that's meant as no disrespect to a number of candidates at other clubs.

#37 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,974 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:05 AM

Escaré must be worth a shout for Young Player too.

• Ant likes this

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#38 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,986 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

i think the top 5 this season have been:

brough
houghton
lunt
kirmond
charnley.

and the top 5 young players:

mellor
crooks
lineham
percival
walmsley.........

from my own club joey mellor has been outstanding all season missing just 1 game followed by the human wrecking ball that is phil joseph..
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#39 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:12 PM

Glad to see Phil Joseph getting some good shouts, I always thought he had a lot of talent and was poorly used by Jon Sharp at the Giants

As for young player Escare is a good shout as is Theo Fages

#40 TheAbster

TheAbster
  • Players
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

Hmm, young player, dont think anyones recognised sutcliffe, he came in during leeds' injury crisis and has played really well for the rhinos, hes scored a few, made some really good tackles and some great assists

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users