TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Man of steel for 2013?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:15 PM

Either way, there are some great players being thrown up (and all English- proof that Aussies aren't superior in SL).

Hopefully the likes of Kirkmond, O'Loughlin and Houghton are selected for the World Cup
Posted Image

Posted Image

#42 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

I think it's harsh to rule out wingers for this award, its like ruling out strikers for football awards.
That said, i dont think just scoring tries is enough. For a winger to take it they need to do more than fall over the line with the ball. They need to be doing the hard yards, scoring wonder tries, making try saving tackles etc.
O'Loughlin is a good shout, Tomkins will always be there.
From my team im not sure we have had a real standout - probably the three that impress me most at Wire this year are Higham, Waterhouse and Grix, and not sure any of these have been special enough.
As has been pointed out, the next 10weeks could decide it.

I agree that wingers are important, and there have been plenty of great wingers over the years who do their job consistently every week and I think Richards is a great winger for this reason, just as players like El Masri, Ettinghausen, Vainakolo have been too.

However wingers simply don't have enough influence on the way a game flows to win awards like this. A winger can't steer a team around the field or control pressure and possession, and most of their work is finishing off plays set up by others. A quality half or hooker has a bigger influence on the game, and should normally win these sort of awards, and usually command the biggest salaries.

IMO, there is too much focus on try-scorers and goal kickers in the English game, and not enough focus on the players who create the tries.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#43 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:57 PM

O'Loughlin   or even Jamie Peacock who has had an amazing season and with the injuries up front for Leeds has carried the forward line almost single handed and with his dodgy knee. 

#44 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

I agree that wingers are important, and there have been plenty of great wingers over the years who do their job consistently every week and I think Richards is a great winger for this reason, just as players like El Masri, Ettinghausen, Vainakolo have been too.

However wingers simply don't have enough influence on the way a game flows to win awards like this. A winger can't steer a team around the field or control pressure and possession, and most of their work is finishing off plays set up by others. A quality half or hooker has a bigger influence on the game, and should normally win these sort of awards, and usually command the biggest salaries.

IMO, there is too much focus on try-scorers and goal kickers in the English game, and not enough focus on the players who create the tries.

not sure i agree with that - not many would vote for wingers.

#45 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:53 PM

Man of Steel presently for mine would be between Brough, Kirmond and Houghton. Young Player of the Year would be between Escare, Fages, Lineham and Crooks.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#46 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:13 PM

JP?no chance. He plays for Leeds

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#47 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

yes me and freaky used to cross swords in the old days, along with simac and hannibal

yes me and freaky used to cross swords in the old days, along with simac and hannibal

I used to like reading Hannibals posts when he used to rip into NE

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#48 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:12 PM

I used to like reading Hannibals posts when he used to rip into NE

He's still on just uses a different name

#49 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:10 PM

He's still on just uses a different name

Hanibal top guy, loves the Aussies

Back on thread.

Brough, kirkmond and Higham for me

Higham and Houghton a toss of a coin, wires position in the league also nudges it.
I hope Houghton and Higham make the England squad, both deserve it and it'll help competition for places

#50 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:54 PM

As the award is voted for by the players I'd go for O'Loughlin.
Very respected by other players, 100% hard work and ability with never getting any headlines for it.
Admired by club coaches too.

#51 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,348 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:57 PM

None of the big prizes has been settled yet, so I would be inclined to wait 6 weeks till the cup and league are done and dusted. Performances in big games must count extra, and there are a few of those to come.

#52 FlattenedbyWard

FlattenedbyWard
  • Coach
  • 343 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:23 PM

Danny Houghton the Hooker at Hull has been outstanding for Hull FC all season even when they were struggling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users