Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Optimism

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:47 AM

Good news regarding the re-signings - though jury is out for me on Ben Black as he needs to come into the games more rather than in 10 minute bursts here and there.

Nice to have some positive news for a change, but next season is next season.

Back to reality though and the remainder of 2013 - is anything going to be any different on the field this week as a result of the re-signings?

Seems.a few are getting carried away with the good news this week and forgetting the predicament the team is currently in.

Not being 'negative' just realistic.

Thoughts?
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#2 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:09 AM

Perhaps we should drop the negativity and see what happens in the Keighley game? I believe JK will swing the axe if things don't improve and the recent signing till the end of the season tells me Kear is not happy with how things have gone recently! 

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#3 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 803 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

all well and good the decent news for 2014 with the lads signing up. but its the ones who aint staying thats the problem, the axe should have been swung weeks back and all the cobblers in changing rooms nipped in the bud. i doubt anything will change until next season now other than maybe a change of hairgel for moore. cant see another win on the cards at all,we really do need someone on the pitch to shout the calls more and command some respect ala tiger/ tommo/cassy. and also more shouts from the touchline like other teams manage to do to inspire the players and the moves they should have planned. we really need a finn/brambani/cainy/or even tiger in the squad for next season or its same old same and were gone back 5 years in 6 months. :hunter:

#4 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:28 PM

all well and good the decent news for 2014 with the lads signing up. but its the ones who aint staying thats the problem, the axe should have been swung weeks back and all the cobblers in changing rooms nipped in the bud. i doubt anything will change until next season now other than maybe a change of hairgel for moore. cant see another win on the cards at all,we really do need someone on the pitch to shout the calls more and command some respect ala tiger/ tommo/cassy. and also more shouts from the touchline like other teams manage to do to inspire the players and the moves they should have planned. we really need a finn/brambani/cainy/or even tiger in the squad for next season or its same old same and were gone back 5 years in 6 months. :hunter:

All well and good 'axing' players because they're leaving, but who would you have replace them? The only option would be to bring in dual reg kids from Huddersfield - and then no doubt fans would be turning on Kear for going down the Hunslet/Swinton path. Its positive news that he's snapped up this young Cumbrian lad to fill a halfback/hooker role, and I expect him to replace someone for Sunday's game. Regardless of current form, we'll definitely need him for the final game of the season as with Mennell injured (so I'm told) and another halfback off on a jolly up to Ibiza in the week prior to the game against York, we'll be short on numbers. In terms of our scrum-half for 2014, I believe we've got one of the best young players in the league signed up to replace our current underachiever. Where do you think we'd find the money to sign a Finn, Kain or Brambani? Have you any idea what kind of wages those players command? We had a really good season up until the Sheffield game, using a gameplan that, whilst not condusive to exciting rugby, was getting the most out of some (lets be frank here) pretty limited players. Lets not start going on as if there's something fundamentally wrong with our club and coaching staff, who were doing an excellent job results-wise up until a month and a half ago when all the remarkably over-reported player departures were mooted. The problem is that we obviously have one or two bad apples with whom we are unfortunately stuck until the end of the season. Not much anyone can do really apart from hope they show some self-respect and decide to start playing again.

Edited by TheTerminator, 01 August 2013 - 02:18 PM.

Posted Image

#5 phildog

phildog
  • 292 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

Agree, no axe to wield really, as we don't have anybody left over, except young Leary who needs a regular run, and Whitmore, if he's recovered and is still with us. Everybody else is playing regularly, whether we want them to or not. By all means put young Leak in, he can't do any worse. as to our DR arrangement with Giants, it's not done much for us really has it? We've had Fairbank, Mullaley, Johnson, Blackmore, Fleming and 1 more I think, none of whom have been available for any great length of time, and if they were going to do us such a big favour, how come they've often not made the starting 13? We should be checking if Johnson and Fleming are re-signing for their clubs and offer them terms if not, but if we are to keep the tie up we need players who can be around for the duration and not with us one week and not the next. Of course the coaches haven't suddenly become defficient, JK is still as good a coach as he ever was, he has been hamstrung by not having the available budget that other clubs have, (there again, no blame attached to the board, who I'm sure have gone as far as they can in backing him, hence the signing of young Leak) yet he has manged for the best part of 2 seasons to produce a team which has consistently punched well above it's weight, don't forget that last year we doubled Leigh and beat Halifax once as well as losing to Fev by a total of 7 points last time and 10 this. yes we're unhappy about the current state, but I think enough fuss has been made this last week just to remind the players what they are (still) here for, and bringing in a new face could just be the catalyst, we still need to win 2 and get 2 bonus points to finish 5th. best of luck.. 

#6 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 491 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:33 PM

Don't give up on the season yet. We'll soon be missing our weekly fix so enjoy it whilst we can.  Team spirit seemed ok last Sunday, just dumb rugby when the game should have been put to bed. Let's stay off of the players backs if we can.  Ever the optimist I'm hoping that a few wins will see confidence return and the team improve again. 

#7 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:41 PM

I think the thing to remember about last week is that the team were clapped off at half-time after a much improved performance. It was only the second-half that went to sh*t. We might turn it round at Keighley - stranger things have happened.

#8 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

Like i said previously kear said in the batleynews that worlington coach was aving a go at lawton about all the penaltys agaist them and we to defend six sets agaist us so all in all i think it was a better effort so onwards and upwards here on fingers crossed

#9 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 803 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:40 PM

Like i said previously kear said in the batleynews that worlington coach was aving a go at lawton about all the penaltys agaist them and we to defend six sets agaist us so all in all i think it was a better effort so onwards and upwards here on fingers crossed

granted first were a lot better and we looked a different side with one snazzy player missing. but second half forget the ref we were shocking, 6 or 7 sets on the trot was due to head highs and stupid long balls  going to ground in ###### conditions. am sure jk will come up with something new to get our lads running into gaps/space and kick on to a couple of wins, but barrow leigh york and halifax will be well up for it with us on a losing streak.keighly aint no mugs and still think it will be close sunday. 22.16 to the dogs.

#10 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 742 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:39 PM

nothing to do with the ref tbh nothing wrong with that second to ladt try of theres and the last due to it hitting the batley man we need to smarter up and graft the win since its all to play for now

#11 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:33 AM

All well and good 'axing' players because they're leaving, but who would you have replace them? The only option would be to bring in dual reg kids from Huddersfield - and then no doubt fans would be turning on Kear for going down the Hunslet/Swinton path. Its positive news that he's snapped up this young Cumbrian lad to fill a halfback/hooker role, and I expect him to replace someone for Sunday's game. Regardless of current form, we'll definitely need him for the final game of the season as with Mennell injured (so I'm told) and another halfback off on a jolly up to Ibiza in the week prior to the game against York, we'll be short on numbers. In terms of our scrum-half for 2014, I believe we've got one of the best young players in the league signed up to replace our current underachiever. Where do you think we'd find the money to sign a Finn, Kain or Brambani? Have you any idea what kind of wages those players command? We had a really good season up until the Sheffield game, using a gameplan that, whilst not condusive to exciting rugby, was getting the most out of some (lets be frank here) pretty limited players. Lets not start going on as if there's something fundamentally wrong with our club and coaching staff, who were doing an excellent job results-wise up until a month and a half ago when all the remarkably over-reported player departures were mooted. The problem is that we obviously have one or two bad apples with whom we are unfortunately stuck until the end of the season. Not much anyone can do really apart from hope they show some self-respect and decide to start playing again.

Jolly to Ibiza? Would have thought contracted players wouldnt be allowed to go on holiday during the season?

#12 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

Jolly to Ibiza? Would have thought contracted players wouldnt be allowed to go on holiday during the season?

Only what I've been told. Apparently a couple of players are going, which would surely rule them out of the York game? I don't think there'll be anything in their contracts preventing them.

Edited by TheTerminator, 02 August 2013 - 09:19 AM.

Posted Image

#13 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

Only what I've been told. Apparently a couple of players are going, which would surely rule them out of the York game? I don't think there'll be anything in their contracts preventing them, but if true what does it say about their commitment to their teammates, the club and the fans?

Its only like anyone that is employed , they are entitled to holidays and quite possible that their fulltime job dictates when they have their holidays as in Jag down here shuts down for 2 weeks and employees have to take this as part of their holiday entitlement and also if they have kids will force them to go away during school holidays as well ...i know its not ideal but sometimes they have no other option

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#14 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:59 AM

I think it a bit harsh to dictate to people when and if they are allowed a holiday! Try the boot on the other foot?

#15 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:05 AM

I think it a bit harsh to dictate to people when and if they are allowed a holiday! Try the boot on the other foot?

Who's dictating when and if they are allowed to go on a holiday? I merely suggested that its not ideal if it rules people out of a potentially crucial fixture.

Posted Image

#16 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:08 AM

replying to above Arnie

#17 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:13 AM

replying to above Arnie

Ah, apologies. Either way, lets hope the lads who are going away don't overdo things. The way things are going, the York game might be very important to our top 5 prospects!

Posted Image

#18 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

I see where you are coming from Piggy but most people dont have a job thats only for 9 or 10 months in a year. Footballers and Super League players go on holiday in the 'off season' and not during - why is our level any different?

Maybe its a semi pro thing.

#19 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:20 AM

Full timers can prob chase the sun wherever it goes, whilst our lads who I guess make on average 8 - 10 grand a season at Batley have to slum it in Ibiza?

#20 vitocorleone

vitocorleone
  • Coach
  • 665 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

8-10 grand!! Seriously?

On top of wages earned in their respected employment. Wow not bad at all.

I don`t remember any players in any other season doing this (when fit), so what has changed this season. If their holidays canot be controlled via their contracts (which they most definately can be), what would stop the entire squad going on an early p*** up abroad somewhere?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users