Fracking comments

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:19 AM

I meant frack the North West, not the North East.  That's all right then, makes it so much better...

There's a big open area up that way where very few people live, surely that's a good place to start.  I think it's called the Lake District, nowt there of value to anyone...

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#2 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

I meant frack the North West, not the North East.  That's all right then, makes it so much better...

There's a big open area up that way where very few people live, surely that's a good place to start.  I think it's called the Lake District, nowt there of value to anyone...

:D

28m391z.jpg

#3 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

Cracking stuff.

I thought at first he might have been referring to Northumberland as one of the least developed parts of England, but I was being too kind to him.

Maybe he means the Lake District now and he is aware of the history of quarrying and mining in the area. Perhaps he means areas like Skelmersdale, the Fylde area, or Furness; then again, he might not have a clue what he's talking about.

#4 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:08 AM

Cracking stuff.

I thought at first he might have been referring to Northumberland as one of the least developed parts of England, but I was being too kind to him.

Maybe he means the Lake District now and he is aware of the history of quarrying and mining in the area. Perhaps he means areas like Skelmersdale, the Fylde area, or Furness; then again, he might not have a clue what he's talking about.

This.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#5 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,150 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:22 AM

THIS  reinforces a point I made earlier.....Once the South gets involved, the protests start.

#6 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

THIS  reinforces a point I made earlier.....Once the South gets involved, the protests start.

Protests have been going on round here in the "desolate" North West for some time, not that the BBC would notice. <_<

Edited by Griff9of13, 01 August 2013 - 11:17 AM.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#7 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,290 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

Tories - No to windfarms as they spoil the landscape.

Tories - Yes to fracking and hundreds of drilling sites.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#8 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,872 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:48 AM

Could George not swing some test drilling sites in the more remote areas of Tatton Park just to test public opinion in the desolate north?

#9 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

The problem is his first "apology", he didn't say what the press have attributed to him, so instead of saying "read what I actually said you idiots" he went down the usual route of a half arsed ridiculous apology.

Get drilling, we won't know what the effects are until we've at least broken ground a few times.

#10 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:50 AM

Tory view of Wind farms  = liked by lefty liberal, tree hugging, eco-friendly, environmentalists. Therefore must be bad

Tory view of Fracking = disliked by lefty liberal, tree hugging, eco-friendly, environmentalists. Therefore must be good

#11 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,182 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:34 PM

He's right though some areas of the North have low population density but little tourism. Perfect for fracking as long as it is done responsibly e.g. offsetting environmental damage by cleaning up another area.

#12 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:16 PM

He's right though some areas of the North have low population density but little tourism. Perfect for fracking as long as it is done responsibly e.g. offsetting environmental damage by cleaning up another area.

I agree.

#13 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:17 PM

Tory councils seem to have agreed to many wind turbines being installed...........

#14 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,150 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

I support both.

There is a 16 turbine farm just one mile from here, no problem

I am not a labour voter, just in case you didn't know.

#15 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

I support both.

There is a 16 turbine farm just one mile from here, no problem

I am not a labour voter, just in case you didn't know.

Not too far from me, there's a current planning proposal for a single turbine followed by one more in two years time after its full impacts are assessed.  I know that some of the loudest opponents to the plan are Lib Dems, the worst sort of NIMBY hypocrites.  The Tories are also asking for it to be stopped, Labour (currently in control in Ipswich) say they can't because the Tories leased the land to the company with a sole purpose written into the contract of them building the turbines and a 7 figure break clause.  So... no politician will admit to wanting or even having ever thought that it was a good idea.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#16 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:43 PM

Not too far from me, there's a current planning proposal for a single turbine followed by one more in two years time after its full impacts are assessed. I know that some of the loudest opponents to the plan are Lib Dems, the worst sort of NIMBY hypocrites. The Tories are also asking for it to be stopped, Labour (currently in control in Ipswich) say they can't because the Tories leased the land to the company with a sole purpose written into the contract of them building the turbines and a 7 figure break clause. So... no politician will admit to wanting or even having ever thought that it was a good idea.

There bloody everywhere in The Netherlands - look okay to me. No worse than power lines or motorways.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 01 August 2013 - 07:44 PM.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#17 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,223 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:16 PM

At the end of the day, it's only Lancashire.

;) ;) B)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#18 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,933 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:07 AM

At the end of the day, it's only Lancashire.
;) ;) B)

Right, your silly little Yorkie day is over with now so we can continue with hostilities. Fracking would probably improve Yorkshire.
Fides invicta triumphat

#19 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:46 AM

I pointed out in another thread. There is another big open area up that way, that isn't prospected to the same level. It's called the Forrest of Bowland, even few people live there.

However it is owned by the Duke of Westminster, a major funder of the Tory party's.

Do get me wrong I think we should go down the fracking route, to ensure our energy supply in the future. There was a report (of the top of my I can't remember it's title) that was looking at the options of the UK meeting its Climate Change commitments, it stated the the cheapest option was to go to predominantly gas fired electrify generation. At the moment were are ~50% coal, gas produces much less CO2 Mw for Mw.

But I don't like the way that the government is going about this, the gas should be used wisely as a secure energy source for generations to come, much like the way Norway use the North Sea oil. Instead the gas will be used to line the pockets of a few already very rich people, exported to Europe and the world in in 10-15years we will be back to where we are today.

#20 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,223 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:06 AM

To be serious:

Why doesn't the government acknowledge that we have 400 years worth of coal that can be mined with a much lower potential consequence than fracturing rocks and releasing gas.

The coal could be used in existing power stations and converted to clean gas for burning in gas-fired powered stations. The industry is labour-intensive and gives work to people who have a low  attainment or potential of academic qualifications.

The spiralling costs of energy, and a reliance on imported energy must make the economics of re-opening a few supermines eminently viable.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users