Fracking comments

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:27 AM

Excellent. Send the thickies down the mines.

#22 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,910 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:36 AM

gives work to people who have a low  attainment or potential of academic qualifications.

1. It is wrong to condemn a whole workforce in this way

2. I'd rather see equal opportunity through improved education, increased aspiration etc

3. I'd hate to see a return to the sentimental view that asserts  "if mining was good enough for your grandad and you dad, its good enough for you" and has in the past sentenced whole generations to dirt, danger, ill=health and reduced life expectancy.

4. IF and its a big IF, we could eradicate the attitude prevalent in certain circles that working hard at school, getting qualifications and going to uni is not for the likes of us, we might stand a chance of creating a generation of engines that might develop methods of extracting CLEAN energy from coal without all the consequences of mining it.

#23 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,753 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

A lot of young people in the South Wales and South Yorkshire coalfields would jump at the chance.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#24 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,749 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:14 AM

A lot of young people in the South Wales and South Yorkshire coalfields would jump at the chance.

A lot of EU resident Eastern Europeans would jump at the chance to work in the pits on minimum wage.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#25 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,166 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:32 AM

I am not a labour voter, just in case you didn't know.

We'd never have guessed! :ohmy: 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#26 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:09 AM

There are greener methods of producing energy from coal, eg liquefaction and gasification, but they are currently too energy intensive and expensive for commercial exploitation of our coal stocks; this may change.

#27 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,519 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

gives work to people who have a low  attainment or potential of academic qualifications.

1. It is wrong to condemn a whole workforce in this way

2. I'd rather see equal opportunity through improved education, increased aspiration etc

3. I'd hate to see a return to the sentimental view that asserts  "if mining was good enough for your grandad and you dad, its good enough for you" and has in the past sentenced whole generations to dirt, danger, ill=health and reduced life expectancy.

4. IF and its a big IF, we could eradicate the attitude prevalent in certain circles that working hard at school, getting qualifications and going to uni is not for the likes of us, we might stand a chance of creating a generation of engines that might develop methods of extracting CLEAN energy from coal without all the consequences of mining it.

We don't always agree, but I agree with every word of that.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#28 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,753 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:51 AM

The mining industry had a "bedrock" of apprentice-trained craftsmen.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#29 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,782 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

and

I left the mining industry in 1993 and I was taking home £1,000 a week then and Some of the present thickies are earning well over £100,000 a year  :mole:

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#30 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,782 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

A lot of EU resident Eastern Europeans would jump at the chance to work in the pits on minimum wage.

The few remaining mines are full of Poles.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#31 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:59 PM

I left the mining industry in 1993 and I was taking home £1,000 a week then and Some of the present thickies are earning well over £100,000 a year  :mole:

Apparently miners in Australia are earning extremely good salaries.

#32 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,589 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

The problem is his first "apology", he didn't say what the press have attributed to him, so instead of saying "read what I actually said you idiots" he went down the usual route of a half arsed ridiculous apology.

Get drilling, we won't know what the effects are until we've at least broken ground a few times.

Hasn't there been a fair bit if franking going on in other countries? What were the effects?
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#33 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,589 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:07 PM

The few remaining mines are full of Poles.

Pit props you mean?
Keeping it local

#34 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,910 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

Forgot to add that it would be a mistake to underestimate the capabilities of underground workers: in 1973 I was working as a ICL 2900 Series mainframe commissioning engineer at ICL KIdsgrove and and couple of the engineers had been previously working "down the mines". It's all a question of expectation and opportunity.

#35 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,221 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

Hasn't there been a fair bit if franking going on in other countries? What were the effects?

Mixed.

Lax legislation has led to a number of issues.  Mainly stem round the waste fluids.  Many a nasty thing has been used and dumped.

You would think that we could avoid a lot of issues by having tight regulations.  Though the fact they are dumping tons of treated (was radioactive) sludge in the Manchester ship canal makes you wonder.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#36 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:35 AM

The problem is if you send a group of workers down the pit, they come back up as miners.
The Tories would hate that!
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#37 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,910 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:04 AM

now you are just being a silly "class warrior"

#38 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,589 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:35 AM

me too

Keeping it local

#39 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:00 PM

Edited by ShotgunGold, 09 August 2013 - 02:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users