Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Cricket - Third Test

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

Australia win the toss and will bat first.

Warner selected and batting at 6. Will Joe Root give him a wigging? ;)

#2 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,847 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

He's got a bit of a reputation for not responding well to sledging from wicket keepers.  That'll make interesting viewing and they'll have to double check that the stump mic is turned off for the broadcast!

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#3 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,847 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:51 AM

I genuinely don't get the point of the third umpire review if it's going to make simply stupid decisions like that...  No wonder the Indians don't want the system for games in India.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#4 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

I genuinely don't get the point of the third umpire review if it's going to make simply stupid decisions like that...  No wonder the Indians don't want the system for games in India.

Almost feeling sorry for the Aussies....almost.

28m391z.jpg

#5 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,639 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:02 AM

Today I will be mostly watching Test Match cricket at Old Trafford.

Bet it rains!

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#6 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,429 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:34 PM

England right under the cosh now regardless of whether or not we save the follow on. Heads down and bat.

A Fev Blog

#7 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,473 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

Rain expected today. B)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#8 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,473 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:31 AM

England 15 for 2. Ladies and gentlemen, would you all join me in a quick rain dance please?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#9 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,847 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

What's the point of the tv review? Screwed over both sides in this test and thoroughly discredited it.

#10 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:21 PM

What's the point of the tv review? Screwed over both sides in this test and thoroughly discredited it.

The Pietersen one this morning didn't look good. Not sure how you can give that decision as out?!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#11 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,142 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

The rain will save Australia.

Now they'll theoretically be able to square the series.

;) ;)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#12 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

The rain will save Australia.

Now they'll theoretically be able to square the series.

;) ;)

Squared series no good for them though.

Oh well, never mind.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#13 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,028 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:06 PM

The Pietersen one this morning didn't look good. Not sure how you can give that decision as out?!

I can live with that one the on field umpire gave him out and there was nothing on the video to disprove that decision stands. The problem is hot spot is not 100% accurate so just because there's no mark doesn't mean he hasn't hit it.

#14 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,847 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:27 PM

I can live with that one the on field umpire gave him out and there was nothing on the video to disprove that decision stands. The problem is hot spot is not 100% accurate so just because there's no mark doesn't mean he hasn't hit it.

There's the first innings example of Khawaja's dismissal.  Not only did he clearly miss the ball, there was almost another cricket ball worth of space between his bat and the ball, but the audio didn't tie up with the ball passing the bat and there was no hotspot image on the ball's trajectory.  He was about as not out as is possible but the on-field decision wasn't overruled because it was "inconclusive".  I genuinely don't know how much more conclusive you can get about a decision without reversing time, going back and physically standing next to the ball as it was missed.

#15 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,142 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

I genuinely don't know how much more conclusive you can get about a decision without reversing time, going back and physically standing next to the ball as it was missed.

The Doctor Who thread is next door.

;)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#16 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,429 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

I think as RL fans we can be quite sage about how cricket is getting itself into an utter mess over the use of technology. We've been through all that and though we moan VR is years ahead of DRS as a usuable system.

One simple solution could be for referels to be made only by the umpire, as in RL. That'd resolve a lot of problems straight away. Then they need a set of guidelines about how and why stuff gets over-ruled. HOt-spot has been found wanting and the snicko isn't perfect either, so they've got to learn to use what they've got properly.

A Fev Blog

#17 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,028 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:01 PM

There's the first innings example of Khawaja's dismissal. Not only did he clearly miss the ball, there was almost another cricket ball worth of space between his bat and the ball, but the audio didn't tie up with the ball passing the bat and there was no hotspot image on the ball's trajectory. He was about as not out as is possible but the on-field decision wasn't overruled because it was "inconclusive". I genuinely don't know how much more conclusive you can get about a decision without reversing time, going back and physically standing next to the ball as it was missed.

Yeah that one was a shocker and there was plenty of evidence to over turn it.

#18 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:14 PM

Systems improve over time.

Not the most enjoyable way to retain the Ashes. I feel quite let down.

#19 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,152 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:20 PM

I think as RL fans we can be quite sage about how cricket is getting itself into an utter mess over the use of technology. We've been through all that and though we moan VR is years ahead of DRS as a usuable system.

One simple solution could be for referels to be made only by the umpire, as in RL. That'd resolve a lot of problems straight away. Then they need a set of guidelines about how and why stuff gets over-ruled. HOt-spot has been found wanting and the snicko isn't perfect either, so they've got to learn to use what they've got properly.

Thing about cricket though is unlike other games you appeal, for a catch, for a stumping, for LBW and somebody has to make a judgement.  So shouldn't you be able to counter appeal the appeal if you feel you're not out?  Another thought occurs, if there's no appeal can the umpire give someone out caught behind, stumped or LBW?

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#20 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,473 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

Systems improve over time.

Not the most enjoyable way to retain the Ashes. I feel quite let down.

I hope that the England players will think unless they win the series overall, it won't feel like a proper Ashes victory. Australia made that Test very interesting, so I'm hoping for a really good hard match next time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users