Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Cricket - Third Test

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:46 AM

Thing about cricket though is unlike other games you appeal, for a catch, for a stumping, for LBW and somebody has to make a judgement.  So shouldn't you be able to counter appeal the appeal if you feel you're not out?  Another thought occurs, if there's no appeal can the umpire give someone out caught behind, stumped or LBW?

Technically - no. There was an example in the last game where no-one appealed but it appeared from the evidence that the player was, in fact, out. A caught behind I think.

Hotspot is a disaster due to the thin edges not registering in some cases - snicko is better but the technology used to generate a valid sound wave after removing extraneous noise takes far too long.

Hawkeye is also a problem in terms of the ones that "just clip" the stumps. However if asked whether whether it or an umpire was best placed to predict the path of a ball after contact with the pads I would go with Hawkeye.

It would be interesting to try out an "umpire only review" - although I do fear that you would end up with them referring everything. The latest I heard was that the ICC would introduce their own fully independent system where the 3rd umpire sits in a van like in RL and has control over which replays he sees. However we know from experience this will never eradicate human error, as witnessed at "Manchester Magic".
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#22 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

England have been poor in this game by their standards. Bowlers other than Swann and Anderson need to come to the party, and we need runs from Prior, Trott and Bairstow - especially if Bresnan is omitted and Onions comes in, as is expected on Friday.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#23 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,855 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

Technically - no. There was an example in the last game where no-one appealed but it appeared from the evidence that the player was, in fact, out. A caught behind I think.

Hotspot is a disaster due to the thin edges not registering in some cases - snicko is better but the technology used to generate a valid sound wave after removing extraneous noise takes far too long.

Hawkeye is also a problem in terms of the ones that "just clip" the stumps. However if asked whether whether it or an umpire was best placed to predict the path of a ball after contact with the pads I would go with Hawkeye.

It would be interesting to try out an "umpire only review" - although I do fear that you would end up with them referring everything. The latest I heard was that the ICC would introduce their own fully independent system where the 3rd umpire sits in a van like in RL and has control over which replays he sees. However we know from experience this will never eradicate human error, as witnessed at "Manchester Magic".

The ICC version was trialed in Manchester apparently.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#24 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:16 PM

Thing about cricket though is unlike other games you appeal, for a catch, for a stumping, for LBW and somebody has to make a judgement. So shouldn't you be able to counter appeal the appeal if you feel you're not out? Another thought occurs, if there's no appeal can the umpire give someone out caught behind, stumped or LBW?

I don't think so I think the laws of cricket insist that the fielding team appeal to the umpire. The umpire can't just put his finger up

#25 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,917 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:56 PM

England have been poor in this game by their standards. Bowlers other than Swann and Anderson need to come to the party, and we need runs from Prior, Trott and Bairstow - especially if Bresnan is omitted and Onions comes in, as is expected on Friday.

I Onions doesn't play tomorrow on his home ground he's never going to get a game.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#26 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,561 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:03 PM

I Onions doesn't play tomorrow on his home ground he's never going to get a game.

Didn't they say that about Tremlett in the last test?

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#27 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,570 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:33 AM

Onions for Bresnan, I reckon. And maybe Taylor for Bairstow.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#28 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,768 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:31 AM

England announce unchanged team for 4th Test.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#29 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,768 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

England won the toss and are batting. 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#30 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,405 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:30 PM

Blimey. Wish I'd gone to the Fourth Test instead of the Third!

Spectacular day of cricket today.

Well done England! Ashes properly 'won' now. :)

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#31 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,929 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:35 PM

Indeed. The game went back and forth. First England looked like they were certain to lose. Then they turned things around and got themselves into the driving seat. Then they totally blew it and an Aussie victory was a mere formality and yet somehow by the time I got home I found that we had in fact won! By a fair margin as well.

#32 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,855 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:43 AM

Blimey. Wish I'd gone to the Fourth Test instead of the Third!

Spectacular day of cricket today.

Well done England! Ashes properly 'won' now. :)

Even with Australia nine down with so far to go it didn't seem beyond the realms of possibility that they could turn it again.  But another excellent Test match. 

Ian Bell heading to be Man of the Series without winning a single Man of the Match.

- Severus, July 2012

#33 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,917 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:53 AM

Even with Australia nine down with so far to go it didn't seem beyond the realms of possibility that they could turn it again.  But another excellent Test match. 

Ian Bell heading to be Man of the Series without winning a single Man of the Match.

I was a bit out of touch yesterday.  I spoke to someone at work who said it was 120  for 1, and I said well that's ok the game finishes today, he pointed out that it didn't and I assume the Aussies would win.  They must have collapsed fairly spectactularly

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#34 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,855 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:19 AM

I was a bit out of touch yesterday.  I spoke to someone at work who said it was 120  for 1, and I said well that's ok the game finishes today, he pointed out that it didn't and I assume the Aussies would win.  They must have collapsed fairly spectactularly

120-1 at tea chasing 299; 224 all out.  Broad took something like 6-22 off 45 balls.  Bresnan also a key player.  Anderson just not quite clicking this time.

- Severus, July 2012

#35 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,768 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:09 AM

Curses! I got home last night and watched the Athletics instead of the Test Match highlights, confident that the game would finish today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users