RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Ray Cording

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mick Thornton

Mick Thornton
  • Players
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:44 AM

I am sorry to inform the forum that Ray cording has passed away.
Ray was the youngest member of the Rovers team that played against Workington Town in the Wembley final of 1952.Ray played stand off half on that day.
His funeral is on Monday 5th August at Wilson Street Methodist church at 11.30 am.
M.J.Thornton

#2 Bazzer

Bazzer
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:22 PM

sad to hear that. When i lived in fev he lived in Andrews Street where the fire station is now.He was best remembered as a winger but you are correct he played stand off at Wembley.

#3 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,841 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:52 AM

another sad loss. condolences to his family

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#4 1945 onwards

1945 onwards
  • Players
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

I knew Ray Cording for most of his playing career. When he was just starting out he came with Keith Goulding to the Featherstone Youth Club dances in the Parochial Hall on Green Lane where I was secretary. Later he lived next door to my dad in Girnhill Lane. I must have seen nearly all his games and for old stagers like me he has left many pleasant memories.

• l'angelo mysterioso likes this

#5 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 4,986 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

, I've been away on holiday and was saddened to hear this news, Ray played at Wembley alongside my Dad in 1952. I know his family well, condolences to all.
Im Fev and im proud

#6 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:01 PM

He had speed an excellent sidestep and I also remember him playing on the left wing. Eric Batten moved him to stand off in 1952. Saw him at Wembley that year. Condolences to his family, I too have been away. Regards to Alan Whitworth who played in the under 18's at that time and is related to him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users