TV World Cup

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,783 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

BT Sport launches its new service tonight at 6.00pm.

I've just tweeted to the effect that it has missed a great opportunity by not buying the rights to this autumn's Rugby League World Cup.

I genuinely believe that as a new provider it would have made great sense for them to acquire the rights to a World Cup tournament, virtually regardless of the sport, so that they could have demonstrated how well they can cover an event over six weeks.

Anyone who sympathises with that point may like to re-tweet, or add their own comments either here or on Twitter.

It wouldn't do BT Sport any harm to see how many people share that view.

If we don't make a noise, they won't hear us.

#2 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

It's probably safe to say that those that those that are interested in your tweets probably already follow you Martyn.

I'm not interested in doing business with BT, and it may well have turned out to be a graveyard for the World Cup.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 01 August 2013 - 06:01 PM.

#3 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,932 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:57 PM

retweeted

#4 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

What is disconcerting is the fact that they are just calling Union "Rugby".

Suffice to say that I will not be getting BT

#5 Auntie Linzi Morris

Auntie Linzi Morris
  • Coach
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

BT Sport launches its new service tonight at 6.00pm.

I've just tweeted to the effect that it has missed a great opportunity by not buying the rights to this autumn's Rugby League World Cup.

I genuinely believe that as a new provider it would have made great sense for them to acquire the rights to a World Cup tournament, virtually regardless of the sport, so that they could have demonstrated how well they can cover an event over six weeks.

Anyone who sympathises with that point may like to re-tweet, or add their own comments either here or on Twitter.

It wouldn't do BT Sport any harm to see how many people share that view.

If we don't make a noise, they won't hear us.

Why on earth would you want the World Cup tucked away on a channel with very, very few viewers?

#6 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,783 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:47 PM

Why on earth would you want the World Cup tucked away on a channel with very, very few viewers?

Don't forget that if you have BT Broadband you get the sports channels free.

Quite a lot of people do have BT Broadband, I would guess.

#7 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 708 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:53 PM

One of the BTSport presenters is Helen Skelton, have a look at her biography and see what glaring omission is contained in the details of a lady who comes from a "sports mad family"

http://sport.bt.com/...S11363819750432

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#8 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:04 PM

One of the BTSport presenters is Helen Skelton, have a look at her biography and see what glaring omission is contained in the details of a lady who comes from a "sports mad family"
http://sport.bt.com/...S11363819750432

We're not being paranoid here are we?

Errrrr no.

#9 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

Don't forget that if you have BT Broadband you get the sports channels free.

Quite a lot of people do have BT Broadband, I would guess.

Not many in the Hull area have access to BT.

rldfsignature.jpg

#10 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,993 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

You do know the majority of the WC will be on premier sports.

#11 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:45 PM

And I thought Mr Sadler was supposed to be the negative one round these parts!

#12 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,221 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:49 AM

You do know the majority of the WC will be on premier sports.

Numerically you are correct but the big games and all the England games are on the BBC, a great opportunity to showcase the spectacle and diversity within the RL world to the great British public.

#13 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,021 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:10 AM

On this occasion at least I agree with Martyn.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#14 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,993 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:22 AM

Numerically you are correct but the big games and all the England games are on the BBC, a great opportunity to showcase the spectacle and diversity within the RL world to the great British public.

So BT could of bought the same package that PS have bought without any great change to the viewing figures.

#15 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:25 AM

So BT could of bought the same package that PS have bought without any great change to the viewing figures.

I doubt they'd be room in their schedule after precious football and union and repeats. ;)

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#16 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

it is worth getting on BT's case about Rugby League again and again and again because one day the Sky rights expire.What's better, Sky paying what they want or two big hitters both putting in bids?

#17 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,783 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:50 AM

Thanks to all those who have re-tweeted my original tweet.

The World Cup would have been a great fit, both for BT Sport and for the World Cup itself.

With BT promoting its new service very strongly, it would have been great to see the World Cup being highlighted in that promotion.

And the World Cup would have been a great opportunity for BT Sport to do something unique with a major sporting event that it could have used to showcase its potential contribution to sport in general.

Its soccer coverage and even its rugby union coverage won't give it the same scope for doing that, as they will be tied to more conventional formats, and, in soccer at least, Sky will still be seen as the major players with all the best games.

i assume that BT Sport must have been approached about the World Cup. I would love to know how those discussions went.

#18 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:36 AM

It can be nothing other than closed minds on their side. Week in and week out RL gives Sky some of its best ratings, far outstripping club union and cricket. Why would anyone turn that down?

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#19 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

ITV Digital
Setanta
Who's next?
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#20 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,434 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

One thing that Rugby Union does have over us is the pull of sponsors. Their sponsors often pay Sky to sponsor the programmes and I assume that BT will be looking at this and hoping to get the Union sponsors to fill their advertising slots.

In RL we had Irn Bru for a couple of years - but actually during the breaks we don't get Heinz, Tetleys, Irn Bru, Foxy Bingo etc putting their ads round the RL programmes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users