TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

BT Sport launch - missed opportunity

TV World Cup

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 brooza

brooza
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:53 AM

BT still can get rights to some matches. Premier only has exclusive rights to the Aus and NZ matches

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#22 roughyed8

roughyed8
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:12 PM

ITV Digital
Setanta
Who's next?

ESPN!

#23 Ripon Boy

Ripon Boy
  • Coach
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

BT look pretty serious about their TV. I think the key fact is that the pictures will come down your Open Reach owned telephone line so is available across the country. BT and Open Reach are both part of the same group. The Sky dish is old technology and can be affected by the weather. Sky may have to use Open Reach phone lines in the future......BT hold all the aces

www.tradtastic.co.uk

#24 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:55 PM

I still find it slightly bemusing that people think that just because 'we' think RL is a great (if not the best) sport that everyone else does and broadcasters will be queuing up to buy the rights to games. Even our biggest broadcasting rights holder appear at times to just consider it as a 'filler'.

#25 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:04 PM

I still find it slightly bemusing that people think that just because 'we' think RL is a great (if not the best) sport that everyone else does and broadcasters will be queuing up to buy the rights to games. Even our biggest broadcasting rights holder appear at times to just consider it as a 'filler'.

On the TV point, our figures speak for themselves when compared to Aviva Premiership for example.

#26 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

BT look pretty serious about their TV. I think the key fact is that the pictures will come down your Open Reach owned telephone line so is available across the country. BT and Open Reach are both part of the same group. The Sky dish is old technology and can be affected by the weather. Sky may have to use Open Reach phone lines in the future......BT hold all the aces

Satellites have a greater capacity (number of channels) than cable, especially as far as numbers of HD channels are concerned.

For a lot of customers of BT sport the pictures will be over satellite.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#27 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

I still find it slightly bemusing that people think that just because 'we' think RL is a great (if not the best) sport that everyone else does and broadcasters will be queuing up to buy the rights to games. Even our biggest broadcasting rights holder appear at times to just consider it as a 'filler'.

I must admit, I do find the whole TGG mantra a bit nauseating at times.

#28 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:25 PM

I must admit, I do find the whole TGG mantra a bit nauseating at times.

It is TGG though.

That's an actual fact.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#29 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:52 PM

Do we know if they even bid for RL? Perhaps with RL being a very strong working class sport, they thought that RL fans wouldnt stretch to paying for 3 subscriptions???? Or perhaps their top brass are corporate Union fans??

#30 roughyed8

roughyed8
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:24 PM

[quote name="roughyed8" post="2759588" timestamp="1375445532"]
ESPN![/quote
ESPN has gone from virgin tv as of tonight!.]

Edited by roughyed8, 02 August 2013 - 10:27 PM.

#31 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:47 AM

Glasgow and Edinburgh RU teams have this week secured record shirt sponsorship which puts BT Sport on the front of their jerseys although all of their games will be on Sky Sports. Turns out this is the only way BT Sport could get round a Sky "ban". I bet both teams are quite a draw in their comp?

Now wouldn't it be interesting if we had BT Sport Superleague exclusively live on Sky sports! I don't suppose anyone at the RFL has thought of this? I'm claiming 10% Thsg would see how much the RFL were in charge of the sport.

#32 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:13 AM

Glasgow and Edinburgh RU teams have this week secured record shirt sponsorship which puts BT Sport on the front of their jerseys although all of their games will be on Sky Sports. Turns out this is the only way BT Sport could get round a Sky "ban". I bet both teams are quite a draw in their comp?

Now wouldn't it be interesting if we had BT Sport Superleague exclusively live on Sky sports! I don't suppose anyone at the RFL has thought of this? I'm claiming 10% Thsg would see how much the RFL were in charge of the sport.

That's a great idea, p*** off the sport's biggest and most long established investor for the sake of a short term sponsorship deal from a start-up company in a historically volatile market. I can't see a flaw there.

#33 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:16 AM

Have to say I'm finding pretty much everything to do with BT Sport at the minute to be a major hassle and hardly worth it.

For a multi billion challenger to Sky they're so far off the pace.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#34 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:06 AM

That's a great idea, p*** off the sport's biggest and most long established investor for the sake of a short term sponsorship deal from a start-up company in a historically volatile market. I can't see a flaw there.

Have to agree actually, but BT Sport gives RL a bit of leaverage in future TV discussions. Hopefully SKY will reciprocate RL's "faith".

I know which I'd bet on being around in 5 years.

#35 Mick Carroll

Mick Carroll
  • Facebook
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

We have BT infinity broadband so rang up this morning to get BT sport for free when she asked is there anything you would like to add I said "yes jib rugby union off and get some Rugby league on" the welsh lady who was on the other end of the phone said she wished she could do that !! And that all feedback is passed on ha ha we've all got to do our bit haven't we :-)

#36 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

Have to agree actually, but BT Sport gives RL a bit of leaverage in future TV discussions. Hopefully SKY will reciprocate RL's "faith".

I know which I'd bet on being around in 5 years.

Problem is loyalty gets you nowhere these days. People who nove round in jobs are always on significantly more than their loyal counterparts. RU shows no loyalty yet has all these broadcasters throwing money at them.

#37 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,166 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

Problem is loyalty gets you nowhere these days. People who nove round in jobs are always on significantly more than their loyal counterparts. RU shows no loyalty yet has all these broadcasters throwing money at them.

Is that more to do with a large percentage of the RFU's income not being dependant on TV rights so they can have a stronger position in negotiations? 

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#38 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

Is that more to do with a large percentage of the RFU's income not being dependant on TV rights so they can have a stronger position in negotiations?

Bingo!

#39 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:37 PM

Partially, but I think the broadcasters view RU fans as the best customers in terms of advertisement potential due to them being generally wealthier

#40 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:08 AM

Yep that would be an advantage.   One of the reasons and probably the primary is that they have a hugely successful international representative game.   It is strategically important that we can build a strong representative aspect to our sport - we will always be 2nd fiddle and weaker unless we do.  

We may have a superior game (we believe) but we don't have a product anywhere near as good...... yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users