Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

BT Sport launch - missed opportunity

TV World Cup

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#61 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,297 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:12 AM

Not having BT Broadband, am I right in assuming if you have BT Broadband but don't have a Sky subscription you can still watch BT Sport online? 

If so I'm guessing for now those figures are excluded from the viewing figures given above, which might be substantial given the relatively low figures quoted for some sports and a broadband user base that was 6 million+ in the last figure I saw quoted.

You are correct.  But I do wonder how many are bothering.  The service is poor and makes the ITV Player look marvellous.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#62 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:20 AM

BT really need some content.  Several evenings in a row the only live sport they have is on ESPN and whilst I'm watching college football, baseball and the AFL I accept I'm not usual in this regard.  Aviva Premiership won't save them - not least because it'll still leave Mon-Thu with nothing doing.  If you're that desperate for women's tennis (which isn't going to be completely year round) it's on Eurosport.

It is a little strange, for a relatively modest investment, they could probably have gone for Super League, taken the Championship for free, and maybe even pushed for the NRL and become a true RL channel - I expect that RL would even allow 3 live SL games per week if BT wanted to fund this.

#63 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:09 AM

You can't really blame BT for not going for SL, considering we signed a 5 year tie-up with Sky before they even bid for the Premier League rights. By the time the SL contract expires, they may no longer have the Premier League as another round of auctions will have happened. I believe they did bid for the NRL though didn't they? Certainly a strong rumour at the time, as was the world cup rights. For whatever reason, neither happened.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#64 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:17 AM

You can't really blame BT for not going for SL, considering we signed a 5 year tie-up with Sky before they even bid for the Premier League rights. By the time the SL contract expires, they may no longer have the Premier League as another round of auctions will have happened. I believe they did bid for the NRL though didn't they? Certainly a strong rumour at the time, as was the world cup rights. For whatever reason, neither happened.

I'd be surprised if they were outbid for the NRL and World Cup - if they were I'd suggest their bids weren't overly serious as I don't think Premier will be paying a bucket load of cash.

You're probably right about the SL rights though, will be interesting to see what happens next round.

#65 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,297 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

I don't recall those rumours.  Are you sure it was more than people shouting out random broadcasters on forums?

BT appear to have done three pieces of buying.  They've bought a package of 1/4 of Sky's total Premier League coverage, they've bought European rugby union, and they bought ESPN's product rights.

Bra-****ing-vo.

- Severus, July 2012

#66 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,793 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:45 AM

I don't recall those rumours.  Are you sure it was more than people shouting out random broadcasters on forums?

BT appear to have done three pieces of buying.  They've bought a package of 1/4 of Sky's total Premier League coverage, they've bought European rugby union, and they bought ESPN's product rights.

Bra-****ing-vo.

They've also nicked MotoGP off the BBC :( 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#67 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,297 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

They've also nicked MotoGP off the BBC :(

Passed me by that.  Another "only at weekend" sport though?

- Severus, July 2012

#68 League Express

League Express
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

Well you're the bloody journalist, go and ask the questions and do some digging.

I did, months ago, but they were not prepared to reveal any details of their sports buying policy, and whether or not the World Cup ever came into their thinking.

I still think it would be a great promotion for them, given how half-heartedly their output has been received so far.

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#69 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

Dave Hadfield - either in Forty/20 or RLW I think. Could be misremembering. Also recall a couple of journos implying on twitter, but not sure how much wishful thinking was involved

Edited by Amber Avenger, 03 September 2013 - 12:08 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#70 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,114 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:10 PM

Here we go again. When are people on here going to accept that rugby league is a minor sport played in a few working class towns in the North and even then plays second fiddle to football in most of those towns (not forgetting some students and RU players playing half a dozen games a season in towns across the UK). The league winners this year got between 5000 and 6000 spectators for most of their home games. Few are interested even in 'the birthplace of rugby league'. Why on Earth would BT want to pick it up? So they can be associated with showing games involving RL powerhouses like Italy and USA playing in near empty stadia? I really don't think they are rueing a missed opportunity here. I suspect that they've got a different objective.

You blew your cover too quickly this time.

#71 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:10 PM

Not having BT Broadband, am I right in assuming if you have BT Broadband but don't have a Sky subscription you can still watch BT Sport online? 

If so I'm guessing for now those figures are excluded from the viewing figures given above, which might be substantial given the relatively low figures quoted for some sports and a broadband user base that was 6 million+ in the last figure I saw quoted.

I'm in the other boat I have Sky tele and BT broadband but didn't take up the free BT sports.

#72 Plan of Attack

Plan of Attack
  • Coach
  • 793 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:14 PM

ESPN!

ESPN is on BT Sport!

#73 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,227 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

i've got both SKy and BT (free via the broadband) and so far i've only watched one of the UFC events so far.. partly because i keep forgetting its there.. the UFC is the only thing of real interest to me on the channels so haven't bothered to check out the rest of their content. i'd imagine a lot of people are in the same boat and forget its actually there.. There are probably plenty of people who don't flick past channel 405 (SSN) on the sky platform.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#74 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:40 AM

I'm in the other boat I have Sky tele and BT broadband but didn't take up the free BT sports.

Me too. Nothing on BT Sport to entice me to take up my free subscription.

#75 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:51 AM

if it being free is'nt enticement enough i don't know what is lol

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#76 Whiskeymack

Whiskeymack
  • Players
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:16 PM

They certainly seem to be doing everything they can to promote the sports they do have,

http://home.bt.com/n...-11363832064588

Wonder if the RFL could convince sky to do something similar for Super League one weekend, could be a good way to raise the profile of the season launch if the first game was available to all

#77 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:12 AM

Me too. Nothing on BT Sport to entice me to take up my free subscription.

Worth it if only for ESPN's 30 for 30 documentries. "4 Days in October" and "Little Big Men" were great viewing.

Wish there were RL documentries like these - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30_for_30

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino, 11 September 2013 - 06:18 AM.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#78 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,297 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:15 AM

Worth it if only for ESPN's 30 for 30 documentries. Wish there were RL documentries like these.

30 for 30 are mostly incredible.  I'm only aware of one accepted dud (and I haven't seen it) which is the one where the guy convinces some rich people to buy the original rules of basketball and bring them home (to Kansas from memory).

The one I watched last night on the Pacers-Knicks mid 90s rivalry was superb - and I say this as someone who has no interest in basketball *at all*.  Not as good as Four Days in October but then until they make a doc about the Cubs shaking off the curse of the goat nothing will be.

- Severus, July 2012

#79 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:21 AM

until they make a doc about the Cubs shaking off the curse of the goat nothing will be.

They've made "Catching Hell"

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino, 11 September 2013 - 06:22 AM.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#80 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:24 AM

reggie miller v spike lee.......ive seen that probably a dozen times

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL