Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sad news from Barrow

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,831 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:18 PM

Barrow coach Darren Holt has been diagnosed with cancer and has temporarily stood down from the coach's role while he battles it. Best wishes to Holty, not only a great RL man but a throughly decent fella too. Here's hoping we see him back at the helm at Craven Park as soon as possible with a clean bill of health.

http://www.nwemail.c...ncer-1.1074655#

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#2 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:02 PM

Agreed, very best of luck Holty from all at Carlisle. If you can demonstrate the same spirit you did for the Border Raiders you'll beat it!
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#3 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 413 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:09 PM

Very best of luck in fighting a horrible disease! As usual I know the RL family will stand strong and support Holty throughout his illness, hopefully to recovery.

#4 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

Wish you a speedy recovery Darren.

Riggy
Swinton

#5 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

wish you the best of luck darren, hope you recover fully......
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#6 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

hope you have a full recovery darren, my thoughts are with you.........
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#7 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,000 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

wishing you all the best Darren

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#8 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

duplicate post

#9 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

All the best in the battle ahead Darren.

rldfsignature.jpg

#10 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#11 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 767 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:33 PM

Best wishes mate. Good luck with everything.

#12 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

Best wishes Darren - one of our Rugby League family

#13 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,519 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:34 PM

Barrow coach Darren Holt has been diagnosed with cancer and has temporarily stood down from the coach's role while he battles it. Best wishes to Holty, not only a great RL man but a throughly decent fella too. Here's hoping we see him back at the helm at Craven Park as soon as possible with a clean bill of health.

http://www.nwemail.c...ncer-1.1074655#

I've had dealings with darren and it has always been a pleasure: an affable, knowledgeable man: a gentleman.
Lets hope he beats this monster
Cw
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#14 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,841 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:54 PM

Sad  that he has to say," I’d rather not say what kind of cancer it is – cancer is cancer."   Well, yeas and no." Better out in the open so he can get full support for everyone.

#15 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:37 PM

Sad that he has to say," I’d rather not say what kind of cancer it is – cancer is cancer." Well, yeas and no." Better out in the open so he can get full support for everyone.

John, he may have his reasons for that - if I can work out how to clear my inbox I'll pm you
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#16 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:14 PM

Sad news indeed. All the best Darren

#17 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,841 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:04 PM

John, he may have his reasons for that - if I can work out how to clear my inbox I'll pm you

thanks. In confidence of course.

#18 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,472 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:31 PM

Hope you can tackle this horrible disease & kick it into touch, fight the biggest fight of your life and come through it, thoughts are with you and you're family. 

#19 R Peers

R Peers
  • Players
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:25 AM

Get well soon Darren. Played against him many times and I must say his kicking game was up there with the best of them!

Boston 13s

www.Boston13s.com

E-mail: info@Boston13s.com

Twitter: @Boston13s

Facebook: www.Facebook.com/Boston13s

Youtube: http://www.youtube.c.../FortyTwentyInc

Personal

Twitter: @robinpeers

#20 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:08 AM

All the best from me. Hope it's beatable and he comes through it.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users