Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

school kids only -england game-

to gerrem onside

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:34 PM

hows about selecting say -eg man citys ground then running competition with schools to design or write something rl based, then each school gets allocated a set of free tickets if they can supply a coach or mini bus till the ground is at capacity, white t shirts and red wigs for the annual England v exiles or similar (wont realy matter to the kids as it will be a day out) doesn't have to be an evening or weekend -any day during school time would do- for some kids it would be a new way to get them interested in the great game, leaflets and promotion cards etc are cheap- I will wait to be shot down on this one -whos 1st?
the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#2 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,289 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:43 PM

Me.

Who supervises these bus loads of kids and makes sure that they all get back safely to their parents?

#3 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,005 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:50 PM

Me.

Who supervises these bus loads of kids and makes sure that they all get back safely to their parents?

Who drives the minibuses?
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#4 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:51 PM

Me.

the same teachers and class room assistants that took us on school trips in the early 80s?
the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#5 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:52 PM

Who drives the minibuses?

don't most schools have their own?

#6 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,005 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:02 PM

the same teachers and class room assistants that took us on school trips in the early 80s?

Won't most of them be retired?
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#7 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:06 PM

Won't most of them be retired?

am sure someone will have replaced them, oh the wit sharp as play dough

#8 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:19 PM

don't most schools have their own?

No.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#9 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,289 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:04 PM

Presumably they would want paying for this.

#10 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:01 PM

Presumably they would want paying for this.

swap a days holiday its simple realy, what happened to the school day out?

#11 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

I'm not going to shoot you down on this one as I applaud anyone who tries to promote the sport, but I don't think this would work.

Firstly for the kids to get excited about it, it would need to be a high profile match.  This being the case, are we to deprive the normal fans an opportunity to see the game (and spend their money)?

Secondly, thousands of kids from revival schools and areas in the same place at the same time, sounds like a recipe for disaster to me!

I certainly think we should be targeting as many kids to the game as possible though.  If there are any seats left at any of the world cup venues on the day before kick off I'd hand out tickets to the local school kids on the proviso they are accompanied by an adult who pays say £10.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#12 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,289 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

swap a days holiday its simple realy, what happened to the school day out?

You mean that teachers do it for free? Or that schools subsidise the whole thing?

#13 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

kids always want something to call their own- no parents! if we cant organise a simple event like this then its time to lie down and let other sports do the final suffocation on us, theres a wealth of enthusiasm and energy out there in their thousands with kids who want to identify with a loyalty and passion - forget it anyway.

#14 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,289 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:35 PM

kids always want something to call their own- no parents! if we cant organise a simple event like this then its time to lie down and let other sports do the final suffocation on us, theres a wealth of enthusiasm and energy out there in their thousands with kids who want to identify with a loyalty and passion - forget it anyway.

You mean if we can't hold an event that no other sport does then we should give up. Can't see the logic myself.

#15 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:58 PM

You mean if we can't hold an event that no other sport does then we should give up. Can't see the logic myself.

times have moved on- if we cant grasp the nettle then it will flick right back and sting us right in the face.

#16 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,289 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:30 PM

times have moved on- if we cant grasp the nettle then it will flick right back and sting us right in the face.

"Times have moved on"?

This from the guy who harkened back to the golden age of the early 80s.

#17 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:46 PM

"Times have moved on"?

This from the guy who harkened back to the golden age of the early 80s.

you realy cant win here, can you?

#18 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,289 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

you realy cant win here, can you?

Not if you aren't consistent.

#19 Gerri Monside

Gerri Monside
  • Coach
  • 320 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:50 PM

hows about selecting say -eg man citys ground then running competition with schools to design or write something rl based, then each school gets allocated a set of free tickets if they can supply a coach or mini bus till the ground is at capacity, white t shirts and red wigs for the annual England v exiles or similar (wont realy matter to the kids as it will be a day out) doesn't have to be an evening or weekend -any day during school time would do- for some kids it would be a new way to get them interested in the great game, leaflets and promotion cards etc are cheap- I will wait to be shot down on this one -whos 1st?

Hmmm interesting.  I think your idea's got some potential, but needs a bit of a tweak.  How about giving the unsold tickets to schools (or amateur clubs in development areas) and getting them to compliment the paying fans.  Ultimately it would be a win-win.  Ground full. Good atmosphere. Youngsters introduced to the game - which is what will sustain us in the future.  Worthy of further exploration I'd say.

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

#20 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,289 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

Hmmm interesting.  I think your idea's got some potential, but needs a bit of a tweak.  How about giving the unsold tickets to schools (or amateur clubs in development areas) and getting them to compliment the paying fans.  Ultimately it would be a win-win.  Ground full. Good atmosphere. Youngsters introduced to the game - which is what will sustain us in the future.  Worthy of further exploration I'd say.

The main problem is that a lot of people (including me) like to pay on the day. If you have already given away the "unsold tickets" then you would be turning away people with actual money to spend.