RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hohaia to Salford

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 TheChief

TheChief
  • Players
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:52 PM

Following in the footsteps of Meli and Puletua to Salford next season.

Saints fans are pleased he's found a home and he's been disappointing for 2 seasons.
Follow me on twitter @MalcHankey

#2 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:00 PM

If true as a saints fan I couldn't be any happier but if I was a Salford fan I'd be questioning the "wisdom" of signing Hohaia, surely there are better players to target than Hohaia even in the lower leagues or super league fringe players?

#3 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 3,641 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

If true as a saints fan I couldn't be any happier but if I was a Salford fan I'd be questioning the "wisdom" of signing Hohaia, surely there are better players to target than Hohaia even in the lower leagues or super league fringe players?

If he IS going to Salford - and there is nothing anywhere to confirm this - then how successful he will be will depend upon where he is played.  If he has now given up the idea of playing at 6 - he really isn't a 6 (unless he has a real organiser beside him and then he may be passable) - and is willing to play at fullback then he will be a very good piece of business for Salford as I think his strength is at fullback and he will go very well there.  Saints have not used him appropriately but then again, he wanted to play at 6 and so he possibly dug his own grave to some degree.

#4 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,907 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:30 PM

Please be true
Please be true
Please be true
Please be true
Please be true

#5 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:19 PM

I'll be delighted if this turns out to be true. I have nothing against Lance and think he'd make a good fullback for a lot of sides, he's just a terrible fit for us. What would really make me happy is that it would free up a quota space (assuming Perry isn't retained) and presumably a fair chunk of cap space too.

#6 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:38 PM

I wonder what transfer fee Saints will pay Salford.
  • Bostik Bailey and Mumby Magic like this

#7 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:03 PM

best signing salford have made.....................i bet stains fans are delighted to be shut of the waste of space.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#8 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,450 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:24 PM

Saintslass, as usual, offering the voice of reason here amongst the usual predictable responses.

As a Salford fan, whilst not bowled over by this signing I think - as a fullback - we could do much worse than a World Cup/4 Nations winning custodian.

I always thought signing Hohaia as a halfback was a terrible piece of business for Saints.

My only slight concern is that by freeing up a big chunk of salary cap space for Saints we may be leaving the door ajar for a late counter bid for Chase.

#9 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,245 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:10 PM

Dad's Army.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#10 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:36 PM

Not a terrific signing on paper, but Salford's main target in 2014 should be mid table solidarity and perhaps a push for 8th spot. In fairness, the signings they've made so far should help them achieve that - no more, no less. Whether a mid-table/8th position finish will match the Dr's ambition is another question. The recruitment so far will only help them attain a level of mediocrity, and I'm not sure that he'll be satisfied with that.

Posted Image

#11 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:11 AM

Saintslass, as usual, offering the voice of reason here amongst the usual predictable responses.

As a Salford fan, whilst not bowled over by this signing I think - as a fullback - we could do much worse than a World Cup/4 Nations winning custodian.

I always thought signing Hohaia as a halfback was a terrible piece of business for Saints.

My only slight concern is that by freeing up a big chunk of salary cap space for Saints we may be leaving the door ajar for a late counter bid for Chase.

That's what im hoping for. Hohaia to Salford and Chase to Saints. Maybe Chase wants to go to a club with a chance of winning Silverwear, and no disrespect to Salford they aren't in the running yet. This could be seen as a suitable arrangement for both teams.

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#12 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:47 AM

As a Wigan fan, its pretty frustrating that Salford are willingly helping Saints dump their duds and creating cap space for them to improve. Darn it.
  • Bostik Bailey likes this

#13 TheChief

TheChief
  • Players
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:13 AM

Agreed, Lance has been a terrible signing but he was a knee jerk response by the club to sign a half back when they lost Eastmond to RU. The trouble was you are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, he's not a half back, simple as that.

What Salford are doing is buying experience so that they will be a more attractive option for other top line players thinking about joining them for next season. You are never going to get 3 years from Meli or TP, but I guess you have to speculate to accumulate.
Follow me on twitter @MalcHankey

#14 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:16 AM

The youth policy continues then !

#15 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,907 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:33 AM

Agreed, Lance has been a terrible signing but he was a knee jerk response by the club to sign a half back when they lost Eastmond to RU. The trouble was you are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, he's not a half back, .

From what I understand rather than trying to replace Eastmond McManus wanted a star name to take to the new stadium and at the time he was the best they could get.
As for his time at Saints my main problem is there seems to of been a real lack of effort and commitment. Which surely is the least you should expect from players. In the past Saints would sign some fairly average imports but it worked because the senior players at the club made sure everyone put the effort in.

#16 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:35 AM

I wont start celebrating until the ink is dry on Hiho's Salford contract, but Meli, TP, Perry and now possibly Hiho leaving - Christmas may have come early at Saints this year !!!

Hiho is without doubt one of the worst overseas signings ever seen in a Saints shirt. Awful defensively whatever position he played with a habit of flying out of the line and then tackling nobody at all. No passing, kicking or organisational skills at all rendering him next to useless when playing in the halves, and even as a full back his positional play was poor and couldn't catch a cold let alone a high kick. 

Walsh & Masoe are a massive improvement on what were getting rid of, we just need a stand off and another prop now and we should have a decent side for 2014.

#17 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:41 AM

From what I understand rather than trying to replace Eastmond McManus wanted a star name to take to the new stadium and at the time he was the best they could get.
As for his time at Saints my main problem is there seems to of been a real lack of effort and commitment. Which surely is the least you should expect from players. In the past Saints would sign some fairly average imports but it worked because the senior players at the club made sure everyone put the effort in.

That's an interesting point and not one I'd ever really thought about before, I always assumed we bought him in a panic as a replacement for Eastmond, mostly because of the talk of him wanting to play in the halves despite having never really cemented a place in them for the NZ Warriors. I kind of feel he was up against it from the start because it was after he was announced that the Gaskell Lomax combination really clicked and he ended up looking surplus to requirements before he even got here.

I actually think he could do well for Salford, he's certainly got more to offer than we've seen from him. I think the major problem with his time at Saints has been that we needed him to be the player who could create and organise and they're just not attributes that he has. If he could play in a team with two good halves and chime in as and when from either fullback or hooker then he could be effective. Sadly we don't have two good halves because we still need to find a quality standoff, and his salary and (possibly) quota spot are likely needed to help remedy that problem so therefore he has to go.

I won't believe it until it's officially announced though.

#18 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:32 AM

all the saints fans i know are delighted that hohaia is going, arguably the worst import saints have ever signed........
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#19 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 634 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:04 AM

I would've thought Brian Noble had more sense than this.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#20 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 766 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

I warned Saints fans when they signed him. He may have played FB for New Zealand but that was at a time when they had no depth there. Brent Webb's back was gone and Locke hadn't burst on the scene yet. His last couple of years in the NRL he was barely First Grade standard. I sometimes wonder if clubs actually scout Aussie/Kiwis sometimes or just think he's got a recognisable name, lets sign him.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users