Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hohaia to Salford

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

Always was a odd signing by Saints .

His positions are Half Back Full Back & Dummy Half , and Saints already had players covering those positions as good or better , Wellens Lomas Roby

We've had a few ' cast offs' from loftier opposition clubs that had been offloaded but have turned out to be rather useful .  

David Young

Steve Hampson

Luke Robinson

David Hodgson

someone who turn out nearly 30 times for NZ, for experience alone I'm prepare to give him the benefit of the doubt that he may be added to the list . 

#22 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

all the saints fans i know are delighted that hohaia is going, arguably the worst import saints have ever signed........

Josh Perry ?

#23 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 210 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:32 PM

Always was a odd signing by Saints .

His positions are Half Back Full Back & Dummy Half , and Saints already had players covering those positions as good or better , Wellens Lomas Roby

We've had a few ' cast offs' from loftier opposition clubs that had been offloaded but have turned out to be rather useful .  

David Young

Steve Hampson

Luke Robinson

David Hodgson

someone who turn out nearly 30 times for NZ, for experience alone I'm prepare to give him the benefit of the doubt that he may be added to the list . 

Blinky flip, how much 'experience' do we need? We've already got a 2014 squad that's beginning to resemble a Saga Magazine subscription list. At a mere 30 years of age, Hohaia would be one of the young bucks expected to learn at the feet of the wizened old masters in the squad.

#24 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,027 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

Good news.

Ian van Bellen is available.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#25 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:50 PM

My worst fears about Noble will be realised if this is true.

We have a couple of good young kids that could do a job but it seems Noble wants old players. If this is true it might make my final decision not to renew my season ticket and I'll pay for the games I can make.

All the good vibrations with the doc taking over have slowly dissipated for me I am now feeling disillusioned.

#26 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

My worst fears about Noble will be realised if this is true.

We have a couple of good young kids that could do a job but it seems Noble wants old players. If this is true it might make my final decision not to renew my season ticket and I'll pay for the games I can make.

All the good vibrations with the doc taking over have slowly dissipated for me I am now feeling disillusioned.

Is that not a touch over dramatic? We nearly didn't have a club six months ago.

#27 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

Not over dramatic at all, I've missed a number of games this season for one reason or another, plus could have bought cheap tickets on other occasions. A season ticket isn't good value. I haven't said I wont go to games.

The signings so far have disappointed me including Morley. Hohaia adds nothing to the squad for me. Noble is running true to history so tell me why would I spend more money than I need to for the games I'll attend? I don't want to see the good youngster we have be thrown on a scrap heap for some over the hill player who will be paid over the odds.

Feeling very disillusioned with the sport and the club

#28 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:16 PM

Not over dramatic at all, I've missed a number of games this season for one reason or another, plus could have bought cheap tickets on other occasions. A season ticket isn't good value. I haven't said I wont go to games.

The signings so far have disappointed me including Morley. Hohaia adds nothing to the squad for me. Noble is running true to history so tell me why would I spend more money than I need to for the games I'll attend? I don't want to see the good youngster we have be thrown on a scrap heap for some over the hill player who will be paid over the odds.

Really? I think you have reason to be optimistic. Morley will bring a winning mentality and great leadership. Meli should still score plenty of trys given the right service and will provide a physical presence when clearing your line. Puletua is in decline but if you have others to do the grafting then he can still open up gaps in the defensive line with his excellent offloading skills. Sau could well prove to be one of the best centres in the league. The jury is out on Hohaia, but if you sign Chase too then you ought to make the playoffs, which would be a good start wouldn't it?   

#29 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:25 PM

If you're talking about the Noble who won multiple trophies at Bradford, guided GB to one of its best overseas Test triumphs, rescued Wigan and has consistently guided each club he's been at to the playoffs, then I certainly hope he'll be "true to his history."

#30 TheChief

TheChief
  • Players
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:39 AM

Noble is very much of the mindset that there is no substitute for experience. Whilst these players are at the end if their career, it may give them the kick up the backside they need. TP is a nice to have, not a grafter by any stretch of the imagination, but against Wigan, he had his best game for a long time. If you can get that level of performance out of him consistently, he will do a job for you for a season. Meli is Meli, you get what you see. Morley will want to prove a few doubters wrong and Hohaia knows its his likely to be his last contract. Salford fans may be surprised.
Follow me on twitter @MalcHankey

#31 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

Just how much experience do Salford want!

To my knowledge
Their 5 signings so far
Junior Sau - will be 27 next season
Lance Hohaia - will be 31 next season
Francis Meli - will be 35 next season
Tony Puletua - will be 35 next season
Adrian Morley - will be 37 next season

At this stage that would be a little bit alarming if I were a Salford fan but if they go out and sign another 5 or 6 quality players who are in their early 20s then it balances the squad and the experience could be a good thing.

#32 SCRseadiver

SCRseadiver
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:10 AM

The information about Hohaia signing was a report by Neil Barker on the back page of the Salford Advertiser.

The 3rd or 4th word in was COULD.He could sign for Salford,and the story was based on the friendship he has with Puletua.

Barker has been wrong far more than he has been correct.

As it is,I did feel sorry that the player could travel from the other side of the world only to experience the head coach who signed him being sacked and then play in a side undergoing transition,at St Helens when Royce Simmons was sacked.

The more big game -players,and winners,in the dressing room,the better for the younger players.

Best to analyse the squad,and the recruitment,after this years world cup.

#33 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

As it is,I did feel sorry that the player could travel from the other side of the world only to experience the head coach who signed him being sacked and then play in a side undergoing transition,at St Helens when Royce Simmons was sacked.

Dont feel sory for HiHo, he's the one who has let people down. You expect senior players who have played at the very top to step up their game and impart their experience onto the younger players, and show some leadership. Hiho goes missing in far too many games and its often been left to the younger player to step up instead.

#34 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:01 PM

Just how much experience do Salford want!

To my knowledge
Their 5 signings so far
Junior Sau - will be 27 next season
Lance Hohaia - will be 31 next season
Francis Meli - will be 35 next season
Tony Puletua - will be 35 next season
Adrian Morley - will be 37 next season

At this stage that would be a little bit alarming if I were a Salford fan but if they go out and sign another 5 or 6 quality players who are in their early 20s then it balances the squad and the experience could be a good thing.

Answer = as much as Warrington

Hodgson is 35

Joel Monaghan is 31

Mark Monaghan is 33

Lee Briers is 35

Micky Higham is 32

Trent Waterhouse is 32

Ben Westwood is 32

and they've just signed Roy Asotasi ( 31 ) on a 2 yr contract

Gareth Carvell ( 32 ) has just signed a  2yr  deal with Bradford

so the addition of a couple more around 29-30 yr old won't concern me

#35 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:02 PM

With Walsh coming, I suppose they will have to lose Hohaia. Lomax is too good to be playing reserves or loaned out.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#36 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,044 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:10 PM

With Walsh coming, I suppose they will have to lose Hohaia. Lomax is too good to be playing reserves or loaned out.

Lomax is going to be full back. Walsh will likely play 7, so 6 is up for grabs. I'd play Gaskell but something has gone on behind the scenes IMO which means he's not going to get the 6 shirt. Hohaia could play their, but they could get a better player on much less money.

#37 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

We are still looking for  a 6.  I think Chase is out of our league money wise.  We are not going to put everything into one player.

I'd imagine there better rumor is the Bradford and former Wrexham lad,  Sammut!

With Perry and TP making way for the 2 players who have already been announced.  That still means we need to shift either Laffranchi or Lance.

With Lance not even getting a look in over Wellens, Lomax GOB and Wilkin, he certainly will not get a game at Saints next year with a proper 7 on the cards.

Brown has done what he can to show him the door, now he has to open it and walk out.

Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#38 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

Lomax is going to be full back. Walsh will likely play 7, so 6 is up for grabs. I'd play Gaskell but something has gone on behind the scenes IMO which means he's not going to get the 6 shirt. Hohaia could play their, but they could get a better player on much less money.

But for Lomax to be FB, won't he have to wait for Wellens to retire? I.e. will be on the bench or on loan until then?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#39 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,044 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

But for Lomax to be FB, won't he have to wait for Wellens to retire? I.e. will be on the bench or on loan until then?

Nope. See the game on Saturday.

Edited by barrowraiderskid, 05 August 2013 - 06:57 PM.

#40 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,692 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:00 PM

I made the point a few months back using Higham as an example, that Salford juat need to make signings that improve their team year on year. Because they need half a team, going with experience isnt a bad thing - these players will know how to fit into a new environment.

Mid-table next year maybe playoffs and show genuine potential.

Decent signings imho.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users