Hohaia to Salford

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,742 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:16 PM

The problem is that Salford have the short term mentality. For as many years as I care to think of they have had huge changes season on season, Noble is showing signs of this continuing, there are some promising youngsters who need to be introduced over a long period.

I don't see any signs of this. Sunday showed why this was essential. Only 5 players with squad numbers under 13.

I have no problem with a few older players but they must improve the team and not be on  a pension boosting pay day

#42 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:33 PM

The problem is that Salford have the short term mentality. For as many years as I care to think of they have had huge changes season on season, Noble is showing signs of this continuing, there are some promising youngsters who need to be introduced over a long period.

I don't see any signs of this. Sunday showed why this was essential. Only 5 players with squad numbers under 13.

I have no problem with a few older players but they must improve the team and not be on a pension boosting pay day

Blooding the kids is great but, as Sunday showed, it has to be done in a structured and gradual way.

There's a tendency amongst Salford fans to want kids selected/persevered with purely because they're kids.

Noble gets slated for Ashton going to union etc but let's not forget Millward wasn't convinced by him either. However, it's worth remembering that the likes of Fielden, Peacock, Pryce and Deacon were all given their head by Nobby too.

I also had doubts about Nobby but let's give him a chance.

#43 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:46 PM

I have no problem with a few older players but they must improve the team and not be on  a pension boosting pay day

Stick with your current team and you run the risk of being relegated next year. Whatever people think of the likes of Morley, he is still doing it playing in some of the top games at the top of the table. Hohaia may go okay at Salford, sometimes things just don't work out at a club and it hasn't for him at Saints.

These signings are better than what you currently have, that';s got to be positive.

#44 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:53 PM

Older players need less coaching, it always worked well for Peter Fox. If they can still play what does their age matter?
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#45 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:04 PM

Stick with your current team and you run the risk of being relegated next year. Whatever people think of the likes of Morley, he is still doing it playing in some of the top games at the top of the table. Hohaia may go okay at Salford, sometimes things just don't work out at a club and it hasn't for him at Saints.

These signings are better than what you currently have, that';s got to be positive.

Totally agree. Moreover, we haven't even signed Hohaia yet!

#46 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 469 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:54 PM

Hohaia wont be at Saints next yr, he'll go either Salfoird or Catalans, which will allow Saints to sign a proper 6 - hopefully O'Brian seein as he puts his head on the line week in for us at the moment

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#47 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,157 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:43 AM

However, it's worth remembering that the likes of Fielden, Peacock, Pryce and Deacon were all given their head by Nobby too.

I also had doubts about Nobby but let's give him a chance.

[pedantic mode] Those 4 players became established in the first team in 1999, two seasons before Noble took over. [/pedantic mode]

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#48 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,742 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:21 AM

It is the short sighted vision of only looking at next season that has caused the problems Salford have experienced. There is no point in having a team over players all over 30, more prone to injury, take more time to recover after a game and rebuilding is necessary every 2 years.

I want balance, I can see the point in Morley, home city club, 1 year deal no issue as he will contribute so much off the field. The 2 Saints players signed so far, I'm less impressed by Pueluta was due tor etire before signing a 2 year deal, says it all for me.

I also find the attitude of some fans that Hohaia is a good signing for Salford annoying, bet none of them want him, especialy Saints.

I've watched Salford for more years than I care to remember and it feels as if we only manage to bring through 1 or 2 players per generation and then fail to hold on to them. This has to change if we want to progress.

I did read a post somewhere that this weekend 11 players from Salford's academy played for other teams in SL.

I hope the Doctor will address these issues over the next few years and the rebranding announcement puts a smile back on the fans faces.

#49 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

It is the short sighted vision of only looking at next season that has caused the problems Salford have experienced. There is no point in having a team over players all over 30, more prone to injury, take more time to recover after a game and rebuilding is necessary every 2 years.

I want balance, I can see the point in Morley, home city club, 1 year deal no issue as he will contribute so much off the field. The 2 Saints players signed so far, I'm less impressed by Pueluta was due tor etire before signing a 2 year deal, says it all for me.

I also find the attitude of some fans that Hohaia is a good signing for Salford annoying, bet none of them want him, especialy Saints.

I've watched Salford for more years than I care to remember and it feels as if we only manage to bring through 1 or 2 players per generation and then fail to hold on to them. This has to change if we want to progress.

I did read a post somewhere that this weekend 11 players from Salford's academy played for other teams in SL.

I hope the Doctor will address these issues over the next few years and the rebranding announcement puts a smile back on the fans faces.

I think you'll find the 11 players thing included the nine who played for us. Salford's academy has never been that prolific!

I think you're being overly glum for a bloke whose team was dead & buried six months ago.

I've never been a Noble fan but even Nobby on his worst day is better than what we've had before.

#50 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

I think a bit of experience in the team mixed in with some quality youngsters will do Salford a world of good next season. A strong performance may entice a few better players to move to Salford in 2015 onwards. Avoiding relegation next season is key for the club and unfortunately, I think the club seem to be struggling to attract the better players presently i.e. Whitehead etc due to this reason. Success on the field would do wonders for the clubs recruitment prospects.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#51 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,742 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

I think you'll find the 11 players thing included the nine who played for us. Salford's academy has never been that prolific!

I think you're being overly glum for a bloke whose team was dead & buried six months ago.

I've never been a Noble fan but even Nobby on his worst day is better than what we've had before.

This isn't just about the team of the last 6 months, I've watched from the 70s and it has always been the same. I want to see the rebuilding of the club from the bottom up. We allow Jewitt to go but sign Pueluta on a 2 year deal. We sign Foran adn Mauro on 3 year deals ??? then sack them during the season. You can't blame the previous coaches for everything. 

Young players at Salford already feel they don't have a future, I know of at least one player who feels this.

Where is the 5 year plan? where is the off field progress? so far this season we have had 3 CEOs.

Lastly I'm not a bloke !

#52 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 223 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

This isn't just about the team of the last 6 months, I've watched from the 70s and it has always been the same. I want to see the rebuilding of the club from the bottom up. We allow Jewitt to go but sign Pueluta on a 2 year deal. We sign Foran adn Mauro on 3 year deals ??? then sack them during the season. You can't blame the previous coaches for everything. 

Young players at Salford already feel they don't have a future, I know of at least one player who feels this.

Where is the 5 year plan? where is the off field progress? so far this season we have had 3 CEOs.

Lastly I'm not a bloke !

I agree with most of this, including the bit about you not being a bloke. I'm pretty underwhelmed with our signings so far, and I'm finding it particularly difficult to join in the excitement over signing Morley. Of all the forwards Warrington had out in their walkover against us at the HJ a couple of months ago, there was only one we could handle, and it was Mozzer. Carvell was going like a wrecking ball through a cardboard house, and I find it disappointing we didn't make a serious attempt to sign him instead. I appreciate Morley was just coming back from injury, but that in itself tells its own story. (So many of our 'experienced' players tend to spend most of the season helping the medical staff gain experience.) I'll be even more disappointed if Jewitt is released to make way for him. Dreadful decision if it's true.

Trying to keep on the positive side, let's hope that we've got a few better signings up our sleeve. It looks like we might have won the, err, 'chase for Chase', and we're now being linked with Ben Jones-Bishop. I'd be happy with either of these. S'au isn't a bad signing either.

On your specific points;

I think Foran and Mauro were identified under the previous management and the signing completed under the current one. Neither player was ever match fit, and I don't think we got the best out of them. Mauro played in the 2011 Grand Final, so he can't be too shabby, but he seemed to be carrying some sort of leg injury.

We've only had two CEOs (we didn't have one before Ed Farish: Dave Tarry left part way through last season and the CEO role was divided up between a couple of directors). Ed Farish was brought in to manage the club during the transition and was, I think, recommended by Nigel Wood. I don't think Marwan knew him. The new CEO is Marwan's man, so, effectively, is the first 'proper' CEO.

#53 SCRseadiver

SCRseadiver
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

I'll be even more disappointed if Jewitt is released to make way for him. Dreadful decision if it's true.

While still attempting to assuage my anger from Sunday I shall ponder the thought that Jewitt is preferred to Morley when Jewitt,with a red card v Hull KR,and a subsequent ban after being put on report v Catalans,has spent more time off the field for indiscipline than he has made appearances.

Morley - 500 appearances later is possibly on his way to a Grand Final.

Placing the written playing record before potential supporters for 2014,listing the appearances and the honours,and the number of winning games,who is more likely to attract new spectators to the SCS ? Who is likely to attract other high quality players ? Or has done ?

There should be an 'ism' for ageism.

#54 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:30 PM

Never been a fan of Nobby's, but I think the rules on home grown players will force him to curb his excessive love affair with players from down under. He will assemble a squad that is good enough to be clear of relegation next year and can turn them into a mid table side. Then a good modern coach can come in and take them to the next level.

He's not a coach who will grow his own squad - he's a coach who signs ready made players. The rules of the game now, are that clubs have to produce their own long-term. Short-term, he's just got to assemble a squad that's better than two of London, Cas, Wakey & Widnes. That shouldn't be too hard to do.

#55 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 223 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:02 PM

While still attempting to assuage my anger from Sunday I shall ponder the thought that Jewitt is preferred to Morley when Jewitt,with a red card v Hull KR,and a subsequent ban after being put on report v Catalans,has spent more time off the field for indiscipline than he has made appearances.

Morley - 500 appearances later is possibly on his way to a Grand Final.

Placing the written playing record before potential supporters for 2014,listing the appearances and the honours,and the number of winning games,who is more likely to attract new spectators to the SCS ? Who is likely to attract other high quality players ? Or has done ?

There should be an 'ism' for ageism.

It's more a matter of preferring the player who, over the past three years, has made more than four times as many clean breaks, nearly twice as many offloads, nearly twice as many tackle busts, made more tackles, missed proportionally fewer and made fewer errors. Jewitt hasn't spent more time off the field for indiscipline than he has appearances, but, given that Mozzer is injured again, I'd guess he will, by the end of this season, have spent more time off the field for treatment than he has made appearances.

Now, if we are to place those written playing records in front of potential supporters (do we do that?), which one looks the better option? Fortunately, placing written records in front of anyone is fantasy stuff. It doesn't happen. What will attract new spectators is a team that can compete and, for me, Jewitt would contribute more to that than Morley.

As for attracting high quality players, I don't have an 'inside' at the club, so don't know of any. So, tell me, which of our new signings have been attracted by his presence? I can't see him attracting signings for 2015 and beyond because he's only on a one year deal.

It's not about age (oh, the 'ism' for ageism is 'ageism', by the way). I wouldn't have minded Salford signing Steve Menzies a couple of years ago, for example. But Menzies is a freak of nature in that he seemed to defy time, and that isn't the case with Morley. it's about whether we could have done better, and I think we could. Carvell, for me, would have been a far better signing.

#56 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

Is Morley injured again? He played his 500th game at the weekend.

#57 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 223 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:12 PM

Is Morley injured again? He played his 500th game at the weekend.

'Fraid so. Details here:

http://www.mancheste...-injury-5667875

#58 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:55 AM

I`m with Red John (bloke) rather than Red Willow (not bloke) on this one.  Carvell must be on a great contract at the Bulls or Nobby completely missed his availability.   This year we have a good number of young `uns and I think you will find the better guys will be retained.  

Alan Hunte seems to be a forgotten man but maybe - just maybe - he is the one to be groomed by Nobby to get the club to the next level.   As for Jewitt - he should be signed without a doubt especially if we can get sponsorship from Ricky Hatton`s gym.   He is an uppercut above the rest.

#59 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:11 AM

I like Carvell, but he makes a lot of errors with some silly play. Some of his defence can also be slightly suspect as he isn;t the most agile of players. 

The thing about Morley is that he does many of the small things well. Most of his runs end up with him on his front getting a quick ptb, and many of his tackles are technically very good and he has people on their backs. These moves help Warrington to win the collision often and get onto a roll. These little things should not be underestimated.

He is nowhere near as dynamic as he used to be, but then he used to be more of a liability too which he isn't so much now.

Morley will do a good job for Salford, and he has been an absolute legend for Warrington.

#60 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:21 PM

I like Carvell, but he makes a lot of errors with some silly play. Some of his defence can also be slightly suspect as he isn;t the most agile of players.

The thing about Morley is that he does many of the small things well. Most of his runs end up with him on his front getting a quick ptb, and many of his tackles are technically very good and he has people on their backs. These moves help Warrington to win the collision often and get onto a roll. These little things should not be underestimated.
He is nowhere near as dynamic as he used to be, but then he used to be more of a liability too which he isn't so much now.

Morley will do a good job for Salford, and he has been an absolute legend for Warrington.

100% spot on.

The one thing you forgot to mention was the impact he'll have in the dressing room and within the local community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users