Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hohaia to Salford

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 SCRseadiver

SCRseadiver
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:52 PM

It's more a matter of preferring the player who, over the past three years, has made more than four times as many clean breaks, nearly twice as many offloads, nearly twice as many tackle busts, made more tackles, missed proportionally fewer and made fewer errors. Jewitt hasn't spent more time off the field for indiscipline than he has appearances, but, given that Mozzer is injured again, I'd guess he will, by the end of this season, have spent more time off the field for treatment than he has made appearances.

What will attract new spectators is a team that can compete and, for me, Jewitt would contribute more to that than Morley.

As for attracting high quality players, I don't have an 'inside' at the club, so don't know of any. So, tell me, which of our new signings have been attracted by his presence? I can't see him attracting signings for 2015 and beyond because he's only on a one year deal.

It's not about age (oh, the 'ism' for ageism is 'ageism', by the way). I wouldn't have minded Salford signing Steve Menzies a couple of years ago, for example. But Menzies is a freak of nature in that he seemed to defy time, and that isn't the case with Morley. it's about whether we could have done better, and I think we could. Carvell, for me, would have been a far better signing.

I think Carvell may have chosen Bradford as it is a step closer to his home city of Hull.

I am not sure if the stats you refer to relte to Carvell or Jewitt but if you prefer Jewitt to Morley then I accept we have a difference of opinion about each individual contribution in past years,and for the future.

There is no reason to suggest Jewitt has not been retained.

As Morley was the first signing announced since Noble too over it would seem both the owner and the head coach view Morley as a figurehead as the club is to re-invent itself.

With the player named on this thread title again mentioned by Barker in the MEN as a 'could be' signing it will be interesting to see how many players he has 'linked' to the club actually turn out to be true.I believe he is currently well behind.

I have no problem with the other experienced signings of Meli and Puletua.Experienced internationals and big final game players.

#62 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:39 PM

I think Carvell may have chosen Bradford as it is a step closer to his home city of Hull.
I am not sure if the stats you refer to relte to Carvell or Jewitt but if you prefer Jewitt to Morley then I accept we have a difference of opinion about each individual contribution in past years,and for the future.
As Morley was the first signing announced since Noble too over it would seem both the owner and the head coach view Morley as a figurehead as the club is to re-invent itself.
With the player named on this thread title again mentioned by Barker in the MEN as a 'could be' signing it will be interesting to see how many players he has 'linked' to the club actually turn out to be true.I believe he is currently well behind.
I have no problem with the other experienced signings of Meli and Puletua.Experienced internationals and big final game players.

Carvell is from Leeds. Pretty sure he played for Stanningley.

#63 SCRseadiver

SCRseadiver
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:40 PM

Carvell is from Leeds. Pretty sure he played for Stanningley.

You are correct - I am wrong.

I did read recently that he has a house at Hull which threw me.Easily done !

Anyway Bradford is nearer both places,which may have been the attraction.

#64 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,616 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:18 PM

You are correct - I am wrong.

I did read recently that he has a house at Hull which threw me.Easily done !

Anyway Bradford is nearer both places,which may have been the attraction.

One of the minor attractions of Bradford is that it is not Leeds or Hull. It is a hidden jewel with affordable housing, plenty of countryside, acceptable traffic flow, a decent social scene and very friendly people.

Unfortunately, it's got Britain's most useless council. People assume that it's riddled with corruption because it would be impossible to make so many honest mistakes.

<_<

:tongue:

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#65 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:52 PM

One of the minor attractions of Bradford is that it is not Leeds or Hull. It is a hidden jewel with affordable housing, plenty of countryside, acceptable traffic flow, a decent social scene and very friendly people.

Unfortunately, it's got Britain's most useless council. People assume that it's riddled with corruption because it would be impossible to make so many honest mistakes.
<_<

:tongue:

and not forgetting that bradford was once described as "the cess pit of britain"
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#66 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:05 AM

and not forgetting that bradford was once described as "the cess pit of britain"

what you mean once was - thought it still was

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#67 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

I agree there might be more than a little strength to the figurehead for the club angle. Isn't Morley a born and bred Salfordian with roots in the city. As such he might be of more value to the club travelling the City and it's environs, promoting the club, it's new dynamic ownership, it's new stadium and linking all that to the heritage of the game in Salford of which he is a living icon than he is as an actual player at this stage of his career.

#68 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,616 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:41 PM

In Victorian times, it was. Average male lifespan in 1840 was 18 years.

These days, in Yorkshire, lifespan is marginally above the North West.

It's probably a welcome release when you pass away six months early in the North West.

;)

It's probably a reflection of how our country's heavy industries have been decimated that the UK  regional life expectancy is pretty uniform.

http://www.ons.gov.u...life-expectancy

https://statswales.w...uthority-Gender

Edited by Wolford6, 08 August 2013 - 02:55 PM.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#69 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

It was reported hat Salford made a tentative bid for Carvell, but the main target was Morley. For me, it should have been the other way round.

The stats were a comparison of Morley and Lee Jewitt, and are one of the reasons I can't sign up to the "he's better than anything we've got at the moment" malarkey. He clearly isn't.

Although I'm generally loath to believe rumours, Jewitt is supposed to have told someone that he hasn't been offered a new contract. As I said originally, if this is true, then I think releasing one of our better forwards - one with his best years still ahead of him - in favour of a forward who, at least on the figures I quoted, doesn't offer as much, and whose best years are a rapidly receding dot in the rear view mirror seems a strange decision.

Now, it may well be the case that the little things that Morley does well mount up to a big thing that improves the team, but I fear he'll be restricted by injuries to a relative handful of appearances next season, and those little things won't mount up to much. We'll have to see.

There has been a tendency amongst the Mozzerphiles to big up these unquantifiable soft skills like "leadership", "experience", "inspiration", etc. We'll never know their true effect, or whether these could have been obtained elsewhere. Nevertheless, the expectation seems to be that he'll be brilliant at them. It seems for the committed Mozzerphile, there's nothing he can't do. He's the Kim Jong Il of Salford, and I look forward to seeing record scores posted at the Ellesmere golf club.

I do, though, wonder if this was more a Marwan signing than a Noble signing. He's said he wants to "bring our lads home" and Morley may just have been the easiest one to reach. Can we have Stefan Ratchford back now please?

Indeed. I suspect this was more a case of Neil Barker flying a kite than any serious approach by the club.

I think Meli is a good signing, but I'm a little less sure about Puletua. Nevertheless, I think he probably comes closer to the "better than anything we've got now" label than does Mozzer. In addition, Sa'u is a really good signing, and I'm fairly optimistic that the other, as yet unknown, signings are of an equal or better standard.

Overall, there are reasons to be optimistic. It's just one signing and one rumoured release that I'm less happy with.

#70 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:25 PM

Sorry John, but I think you've got the whole Morley thing dead wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users