Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Town v Featherstone

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#1 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 461 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:15 PM

And so we move on to the next match. just for interest, the Widnes squad for Friday is : Ah Van, Allen, Brown, Cahill, Clarke, Gore, Hanbury, Hock, Isa, Joseph, Kavanagh, Lawton, Leuluai, Marsh, Mellor, O'Carroll, Owens, Phelps, Winterstein.
Thus, Craven, Flynn, Hulme and Pickersgill available for DR I would guess.

Edited by Supporter, 01 August 2013 - 07:17 PM.

#2 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,016 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:32 PM

Me n Keith have got Gerrard in the car to !

#3 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:37 PM

I would only take Flynn.
Olstrum,Matty and hopefully Stack and Walne back in the team and we are at full strengh.

If Swinton can beat them.....

#4 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,016 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

I would take Craven and play him 7 . Callum looks a bit sore and battered , I'd have him on the bench to spell Matty and hit their huge pack with our small speedy guys round the ruck . Rotate them and hit them from start to finish , with Craven and Olstrum doing it to . Walne and a couple of Widnes forwards for the likes of Robinson and Shacks . We haven't got the game to go round teams so let's play to our strengths and hit them up the guts then scamper at and hopefully through them off quick rucks . That's when we're at our best . And the kicking game is paramount to .

Edited by DavidM, 01 August 2013 - 07:49 PM.

#5 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,852 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

I would only take Flynn.
Olstrum,Matty and hopefully Stack and Walne back in the team and we are at full strengh.

But Swinton hadn't had hard games at Batley and Sheffield in wet conditions before they played them Cato89. I don't care how fit our lads think they are those two games are bound to have taken a bit out of their legs which could tell late on in the game on Sunday.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#6 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:47 PM

I'd definitley have Craven in and allow matty and callum to spell each other at 9 as its been a tough week.

#7 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

Suppose so Keith, im not expecting a win myself. With them 4 back i think we will see an upbeat performance...

#8 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

Just depends which Fev turn up/or if owt else goes on off field to distract the players. But if its the Fev I know then it could be a long day for you guys. But if its the Fev that turned up at swinton last week I fear the worst. But this is a must win for us if we want to top the league for the 4th year in a row.

#9 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,016 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

Depends more on which town turn up . That's the big question . It's the difference between a really competitive game and not . You can win on half power , we need to nail our basics , which at times is like climbing Everest with one leg ... In a blindfold .... In a blizzard ... At night .

#10 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:12 PM

Depends more on which town turn up . That's the big question . It's the difference between a really competitive game and not . You can win on half power , we need to nail our basics , which at times is like climbing Everest with one leg ... In a blindfold .... In a blizzard ... At night .

Lol David. One things for sure I'm anything but confident of coming away with a win. Alot of distractions this season and its told on the players. Everytime we've lost this season something as gone off, off the field. We need to get back on the horse so to speak with the big one fast approaching(the play offs).

Edited by thundergaz, 01 August 2013 - 08:13 PM.

#11 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,016 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:15 PM

Will Shaun Long be coming ? Is he in charge ?

#12 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:17 PM

Will Shaun Long be coming ? Is he in charge ?

Yeah looks that way David. But its the fans forum tonight so we will know more once its finished. Just need to get him some booits now lol.

#13 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:24 PM

I would take Craven and play him 7 . Callum looks a bit sore and battered , I'd have him on the bench to spell Matty and hit their huge pack with our small speedy guys round the ruck . Rotate them and hit them from start to finish , with Craven and Olstrum doing it to . Walne and a couple of Widnes forwards for the likes of Robinson and Shacks . We haven't got the game to go round teams so let's play to our strengths and hit them up the guts then scamper at and hopefully through them off quick rucks . That's when we're at our best . And the kicking game is paramount to .

Bit unfair on Shacks that David, IMO he's been outstanding in the last few games.

#14 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,016 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

No doubt , he wasnt far off our best last night . Im not dropping players for negative reasons , just looking to freshen with quality round the fringes after our packs had two hard hard games .I think some fresh bodies here could be a pick me up , 3 games in a week at this level is brutal.

#15 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 852 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

It really annoys me the fact everyone seems the fact when we look for changes shackley seems to be the choice to be left out, but to me this season and even last night the lad has Been outstanding just goes about his work consistently

Edited by havenhater, 01 August 2013 - 09:59 PM.

#16 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 872 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:22 PM

I would only take Flynn.

Very much doubt we will see Stacky for a couple of weeks first his injury could be worse than first thought and secondly he is getting married next Friday.

#17 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 461 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:58 AM

Sean Long joined Featherstone yesterday as their football manager, be nice to see the great man on the sidelines at Town on Sunday.

Quote from their major shareholder, "I expect him to come in - instantly inspire - give us ‘new dimensions’ to our game. I now expect a better kicking game and we need to finish off our plays. Each match is now a final and I expect us to mean business in the business side of the season. I expect Sean and the coaching staff to get the best from the squad. Last Sunday was hopefully a one-off and one that won’t be repeated.”

We have been warned!

Edited by Supporter, 02 August 2013 - 05:07 AM.

#18 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:55 AM

Sean Long joined Featherstone yesterday as their football manager, be nice to see the great man on the sidelines at Town on Sunday.

Quote from their major shareholder, "I expect him to come in - instantly inspire - give us ‘new dimensions’ to our game. I now expect a better kicking game and we need to finish off our plays. Each match is now a final and I expect us to mean business in the business side of the season. I expect Sean and the coaching staff to get the best from the squad. Last Sunday was hopefully a one-off and one that won’t be repeated.”

We have been warned!

We're coming for you lol. He's more confident than I am anyway lol. Also yes longy will be making the trip up by the looks of it.

#19 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 461 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

Featherstone usually have a consistent formation, so I would guess that their team will be:

1 Ian Hardman (Jonny Hepworth)

26 Will Sharp
28 Vince Mellars
4 Greg Worthington
5 Tommy Saxton

6 Andy Kain
7 Liam Finn

10 Steve Crossley
9 Ben Kaye
16 Matt James
17 James Lockwood
12 Tim Spears
11 Matty Dale

Subs: 14 Andy Ellis, 22 Jack Bussey, 15 Lamont Bryan, 21 Andrew Bostock

#20 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

Featherstone usually have a consistent formation, so I would guess that their team will be:

1 Ian Hardman (Jonny Hepworth)

26 Will Sharp
28 Vince Mellars
4 Greg Worthington
5 Tommy Saxton

6 Andy Kain
7 Liam Finn

10 Steve Crossley
9 Ben Kaye
16 Matt James
17 James Lockwood
12 Tim Spears
11 Matty Dale

Subs: 14 Andy Ellis, 22 Jack Bussey, 15 Lamont Bryan, 21 Andrew Bostock

That's near enough the team but I've got a feeling Barlow and green will be in their somewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users