Town v Featherstone

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#81 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

Thinking about it , if it all possible we have to make Briscoe our number one transfer target . A fullback you have 100 percent confidence in as a foundation is priceless . We have good players there , but any weakness is mercilessly exploited by oppositions at the level and errors with the ball cost dearly . I'm beginning to agree that the likes of Miller and Carter are more use in the centres using their attacking skills without the downside of being exposed at the back .

Wasn't there today so can't comment but up to now millers been safe as at the back - and carter has made minor mistakes - these are going to happen with kickers of this quality - I'm not sure of the likelihood of keeping briscoe injury free

#82 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

I'm not sure I understand always having Acton and Thacks on the bench ? We always look better with them on , yet it's when we're virtually out of it ? Actons our stand out forward without doubt and we'll be mighty lucky to hold him .

#83 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

To me Miller isn't a natural full back , he's a strike weapon in the back line . He's not really comfortable under the high ball , I'd love to see him off quick ball in the backs , but he's not getting that at present unfortunately . Forber is a health hazard to his mates with his passing , he is offering nothing to us . I feel sorry for the centres who keep getting smashed . I felt sorry for Flynn to , the poor bloke was totally exposed out wide by great kicking . I like Declan Hulme though in the centres , he's a great attitude that lad . Their bench showed their strength today , anyone who beats them will be champions . Our first year in this league , so this game has no bearing on our season . You get closer to them the more you develop in this league .

Edited by DavidM, 04 August 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#84 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,979 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:36 PM

We all knew that this was going to be a very hard game which had been made even harder by having to go to Sheffield on Wednesday. Did we miss a trick by not asking for upwards of 5 DR players from Widnes on Wednesday to protect some of our players for today? I think so and with a performance like we had against Leigh at home we might have managed a bonus point as it was we got completely over-run today and were never really in the game at any stage.

Our next 3 games are once again over an 8 day period and hopefully we use DR players a bit more cleverly or otherwise we will be saying on here the same things after the third game which is Barrow away and I might look to see if there's any stag do's or quick break holidays to go on instead!!

Once again we didn't seem to have a Plan B or C today. Every time we kicked off it was the same high kick to their number 6 who caught everyone and then with 5 minutes to go we tried something different, along the ground. Likewise with a strong wind behind us in the second half we tried for a 40/20 and never tried again until the last few minutes preferring to try and battle our way out of our own 20 - 30 with tired bodies.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#85 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

I'd be surprised if Widnes offered many dual reg midweek as they wouldn't want them playing 3 games In 8 days if the 3rd of those games was for their first team.

#86 RPH

RPH
  • Coach
  • 688 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

Expected after two very hard games in bad conditions against Batley and Sheffield players carrying knocks players missing. Not taking anything away from featherstone who are probably the best team in the league

excuses.....hm

#87 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:42 PM

Olstrum is one player you miss big time in the middle when isn't there . He's our only loose forward and his shift is immense , especially in defence .. We've lacked that starch there without him ...Anyway hope he's got a good tan ! Before this spell Charlo said we would need to use DR , but we've played these brutal games with virtually the same players , very strange why we haven't used Widnes in the pack to ease the load ?

Edited by DavidM, 04 August 2013 - 04:46 PM.

#88 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,979 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:46 PM

I'd be surprised if Widnes offered many dual reg midweek as they wouldn't want them playing 3 games In 8 days if the 3rd of those games was for their first team.

I agree, which is why we should have been asking for players for Sheffield as the Vikings last played on 19th July before their match on Friday (2nd August), I'm sure they would have been more accessible then!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#89 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

No shame on the lads today, it was just too much to ask against a side with the quality of Fev after the previous two games. I am completely mystified how Swinton beat them last week, it can only have been a brown envelope job!!
It was a day to forget for Forber all round, but nobody can be critical of the lads this week. The next few games will define our season not the last three.
Tbh I thought the ref had a decent game today in comparison with some we have had. We were lucky he missed Acton being a bit naughty or it could have been another ban on the cards.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#90 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:49 PM

I've mulled over that Swinton game all week to .... How ??????

#91 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 881 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:49 PM

Did charlo on the radio anything about briscoe,carter, stack, mossop etc for next week?

#92 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:52 PM

That halftime thing just took the biscuit ... Nice kick , let him land and smash him and that's that , but Thacks gets him in the air and the ref says elbow to , their bloke kicks it 80 yards as our guys are asleep ... And you just know what's coming !!! Oh Thacks I luv yer effort mate and I'd back you to be in every week as you're an xfactor but boy you do some silly and costly things at times !!!!!

#93 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:54 PM

Gaz before the game there were about four coaches around , including Long , but no Sheridan that I could see . Is he not there anymore ?

#94 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:56 PM

Gaz before the game there were about four coaches around , including Long , but no Sheridan that I could see . Is he not there anymore ?

No Sheridan as gone but I can't tell you anymore. The off field stuff before the swinton game caused the poor performance as we were coach less for that game.Longy is the new coach till the end of the season and then he's going to be bastions assistant we think.

Edited by thundergaz, 04 August 2013 - 04:57 PM.

#95 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

Did charlo on the radio anything about briscoe,carter, stack, mossop etc for next week?

briscoe is back next week. i think brett has a torn bicep so could be out a while.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#96 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:03 PM

I think you can't overestimate the difference Briscoe makes .

#97 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 239 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:07 PM

Whoops look like u ave had is ur pants down well and truley maybe u can all go on fev forum rubbing there noses in it .whoops my bad

#98 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 845 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:08 PM

All the talk about dr but you can only take wot widnes offer i beleave it was only 2 on wednesday and 2 for today paddy and hulme,

#99 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:11 PM

Sorry what language was that ?

#100 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:14 PM

Whoops look like u ave had is ur pants down well and truley maybe u can all go on fev forum rubbing there noses in it .whoops my bad

eh?
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users