Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Suprt League ref for Sunday

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

Sounds like ref bashing to me.

You must be the old guy who sits in the long stand side, just sits there and abuses the referee all game.

Refereeing isnt great, but be fair, Ronnie LAUGHTON didnt lose us either of the last two games.

but in 99.9% of games its the players - not the referee, who have the most influence on results. We can't blame a single loss this season on a refereeing performance. As I've said before, if you leave a game feeling enraged at the 'injustice' your side has been done by an official, try giving the DVD a viewing. Its amazing how much they actually get right, and how much your judgement is clouded by terrace fever during a game.

TIn hat at the ready, sorry lads but I have to disagree with you there. If Laughton had done his job and seen the blatant offside for Workington's final try we wouldn't have lost the game last Sunday. We are not talking inches in it, the guy who picked up the ball was a good 2 yards off side.

Leatherbarrow has also made crucial poor decisions against us this season too.

The first one was in the Featherstone match at home where broke away and were clear, when he blew up to say no advantage, he apologised after the game because it was a shocking decision.

The second in the Sheffield match at home, where we scored after Sheffield stole the ball with 2 in the tackle and we dived on the ball over the line, which he blew for knock on.

Call it ref bashing if you want, but the fact is, we lost those 3 games by 6 points or less. If the ref had made the correct decision on each of those occasions, we would not have lost those games. These 3 decisions in particular were not even 50/50 calls, where you can look at them with an element of doubt, they were obvious to everyone in the ground other than the man making the decision.

Whilst I agree that fans get caught up in the moment at games, I viewed both of the latter 2 on DVD after the games, and there simply is no doubt that they were dreadfully incorrect calls.

As for 99% of games being decided by players, 2 of the games above have happened in the last 6 so that's a third of our losing run decided by the man in the middle. 

Edited by DOGFATHER, 03 August 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#22 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

TIn hat at the ready, sorry lads but I have to disagree with you there. If Laughton had done his job and seen the blatant offside for Workington's final try we wouldn't have lost the game last Sunday. We are not talking inches in it, the guy who picked up the ball was a good 2 yards off .

If you have the stomach to sit through it again give BISSA a fiver and watch it come off the Batley man first, leaving Workington free to make their merry way to the try line.

As for theSheffield game, they have developed a way to effectively play the ref and have done so for years, and we lost that due to being kicked to death by Walker and Brambani.

Unfortunately for far too many of our fans, we seem to blame the referees for our own failings, as far too often we are the ones pushing the big red self destruct button with unforced errors and bad discipline.

Not saying the referees are never weong, they do make mistakes, but theres got to be some rational perspective at times.

Edited by buford t justice, 03 August 2013 - 05:05 PM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#23 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:10 PM

Not forgetting there'll have also been many refereeing decisions which have gone in our favour this season - ones that we probably haven't even noticed. The phrase 'swings and roundabouts' might be an overused cliche, but in a sporting context it's eminently applicable. Remember the Hunslet away game this season?

Edited by TheTerminator, 03 August 2013 - 05:14 PM.

Posted Image

#24 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 831 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:18 PM

i do think we need to forget about refs calls as nowt can be changed after the event anyways,if we are having some bad calls go against us then we simply should crack on with the game and beat the opposition and the ref too by decent play, stop any silly bits a play or cheap shots that give them the ball back.play anything like we did against the giants and nobody will live with our team as it was, bit a fire and passion for our next game will do for me,aint too fussed to lose to be honest even thou it does hurt. if we come off pitch looking like we tried for 80 minutes then that will do me fine.,

see yers at keighley. 22.16 to the dogs.

#25 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:45 PM

If you have the stomach to sit through it again give BISSA a fiver and watch it come off the Batley man first, leaving Workington free to make their merry way to the try line.

As for theSheffield game, they have developed a way to effectively play the ref and have done so for years, and we lost that due to being kicked to death by Walker and Brambani.

Unfortunately for far too many of our fans, we seem to blame the referees for our own failings, as far too often we are the ones pushing the big red self destruct button with unforced errors and bad discipline.

Not saying the referees are never weong, they do make mistakes, but theres got to be some rational perspective at times.

lol I don't think I honestly could sit through it again, it was pretty grim the first time round, watching it again must be some kind sadism. You're a better man than I, if you stomach it a 2nd time. On the final try I'll take your word for it, but if it came off our man first, then off there man it was still offside surely?

Totally agree with your final sentence, I'm still perplexed why Hemingway decided to put the kick through when he did. We were in front, seconds left and we just needed to kill the game, that type of kick was absolutely suicidal.

I honestly do not believe we deserved anything from either game, with the way we played we got what we deserved, but despite Sheffield's kicking superiority in the home game, I'm afraid however you cut it, the deciding factor of that match was the try that was not given.

Edited by DOGFATHER, 04 August 2013 - 06:19 AM.

#26 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:55 PM

Not forgetting there'll have also been many refereeing decisions which have gone in our favour this season - ones that we probably haven't even noticed. The phrase 'swings and roundabouts' might be an overused cliche, but in a sporting context it's eminently applicable. Remember the Hunslet away game this season?

The Hunslet away game in the league?

The one where RIchard Moore passed the ball backwards whilst being tackled by Smith, it hit Baz on the head, shot forward and Haughey, who was in an offside position picked it up and scored? 

The same game where Johnson broke in the middle of the field and was clear only to be brought back for obstruction, but on the replay the defender who was "obstructed" simply ran in to Campbell who never moved, and in any case he was about 10 yards away from Johnson when you saw it on the view from behind the posts, so regardless he wouldn't have got near? 

But fair play in the Hunslet game at home, we didn't really deserve to win that one, but we definitely got the rub of the green from ref that night.

Edited by DOGFATHER, 04 August 2013 - 06:32 AM.

#27 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:24 PM

Just for the record do you not remember the huddersfield game afew seasons ago when dane manning was sent off for a highshot hicks was only go to give a warning untill someone had a word in his ear. Guess what he was sent off because it looked like we were going to win . Conspiracy ??, here is another one played catalans in 5th round what do you know yet again penilised out the game . Or even further back played psg in challenge cup stevie walker sent off for high shot 10 match ban ????? Psg man with high shot report 1 match ban . Read in to it what u want but ive given you three diffrent ocasions of how super league clubs seem to get the desions when a upset is on the cards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users