Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The new Doctor Who is...

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

Gets the thumbs aloft from me. :good:

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#22 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

Yeah good actor but is he the first Doctor who has been in it before as a different character.

#23 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 803 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:00 AM

I'd worry he'd alienate the kids who watch it due to his age.  I appreciate that adults watch it, I watched it once David Tennant left but it IS a kids show.

#24 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:42 AM

Yeah good actor but is he the first Doctor who has been in it before as a different character.

No Colin Baker had a major role in Ark of Infinity before he took on the role of the Doctore...

I'm not a geek... honest gov

And incidentally I think its a good casting call!

Edited by RidingPie, 05 August 2013 - 07:43 AM.

#25 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:48 PM

No Colin Baker had a major role in Ark of Infinity before he took on the role of the Doctore...

There are quite a lot of examples of actors having appeared as one character in Doctor Who, only to return later as a regular cast member. Recent companions Martha (Freema Agyeman) and Amy (Karen Gillan) were both in the new series playing other parts, and in the 'olden days' Lalla Ward appeared as a supporting character in one story, only to pop up in the very next story as the new face of regenerated companion Romana.

No one bats an eyelid at this kind of stuff. ;)

I've always thought that if viewers can accept the initial outlandish premise of this show, ie, a friendly alien with two hearts who can regenerate and who can travel in time and space in a spaceship disguised as a telephone box, they can easily accept the idea that actors might play different parts in different episodes.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#26 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

I'd worry he'd alienate the kids who watch it due to his age.  I appreciate that adults watch it, I watched it once David Tennant left but it IS a kids show.

The Beeb regard it as a family show these days, which is why it is on in prime time on Saturday night.

Capaldi is the same age as William Hartnell was when he defined the role way back in 1963, and it definitely was classed as a kids show back then. Hartnell did such a good job that the show is still running 50 years later, stronger than ever. Capaldi will do fine with the kids. He used to be one who watched Doctor Who himself, so he'll understand what it is about the character that appeals to young uns and adults alike.

Loads of people complained that Matt Smith was too young when he got the part, but he's been great too.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#27 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,792 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

Capaldi's a good actor, but how long will he stay in the role, I wonder?

And having a whole programme devoted to the 'reveal' isn't as much fun as seeing the regeneration and finding out as part of the story.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#28 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

And having a whole programme devoted to the 'reveal' isn't as much fun as seeing the regeneration and finding out as part of the story.

i) milky moo-moo,

ii) in this age nowt in showbiz can be kept secret.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#29 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,792 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

i) milky moo-moo,

Once again, in English please? ;) 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#30 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

Once again, in English please? ;)

It's an excuse to make a song and dance and milk it for all it's worth.

Which isn't much.

Did you learn nuffink from my birthday stealing royal sprog?

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#31 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

To me, it doesn't really matter how long Capaldi sticks around, so long as he's good at it while he's in it. Christopher Eccleston only did it for one year so the precedent is already there for a short run. It's good for the show that actors of this calibre want to be in it at all.

The 'reveal' programme is just further evidence of what a big deal the show is to the Beeb these days, but the casting of a new Doctor has never been kept secret until an on screen regeneration. It has always been publicised well in advance who the new Doctor will be and has more often than not made the headlines. I guess that's because it would be so hard to keep such a secret anyway, when the new bloke will be out and about filming scenes in public places, so they might as well garner a bit of pre-publicity out of the news and try to draw extra viewers in to watch it when he does regenerate on screen.

They did manage to keep the casting of John Hurt secret until the big reveal at the end of the last series, though, as a lead in to the 50th anniversary special later this year. Which, incidentally, will be broadcast the same day as the World Cup semi finals. Gahhhh, where's me Police Box!!!

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#32 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,593 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

Vis a vis the recent debate about class-status and media exposure, I think it would be great if the new doctor was portrayed as an upper class twit who seemingly pulls off  the destruction of aliens as an absent-minded afterthought.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#33 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:31 PM

Grown men and women discussing the merits of doctor who, get a grip. It should be on CBBC.

#34 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,112 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:24 AM

NSFW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=5Blf073f2Lc

Edited by Bedford Roughyed, 06 August 2013 - 01:25 AM.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#35 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 803 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:27 AM

The Beeb regard it as a family show these days,

Yes John, and the action figures are "collectables" not toys :tongue:

#36 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:35 AM

Grown men and women discussing the merits of doctor who, get a grip. It should be on CBBC.

Indeed. I stopped watching it about the time Tom Baker stepped down. This coincided with me taking up rugby and therefore finding myself with something much more interesting (and grown up) to do on an early Saturday evening - going to the pub for post match drinks. These days I still don't watch it for the very same reason. :)

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#37 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:24 AM

Well personally I love the show!

Its something I can watch with my boys and we all enjoy it, even if on different levels. We struggle to find anything we all like and generally my eldest chooses what's on TV for his bedtime viewing meaning more often than no its something shockingly bad like Jake and the Neverland Pirates, or Octonaughts.

#38 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

Haven't watched it for a while.  When is Capaldi's first one going to be - I'll probably tune in to see.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#39 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:35 AM

Matt Smith is supposed to die on in the Christmas episode (happy christmas!) so I imagine he'll make an appearance at the end of that!

That said I wouldn't be completely surprised if Moffat didn't sneak him in to the special in November.

#40 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

It's less childish than posting snarky comments on the internet. :tease:

John Drake
TotalRL.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users