Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Will the World Cup 2013 be a flop?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Jason86

Jason86
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:31 AM

I hope the world cup is a success, I will be attending but, has the 2013 WC been doomed by the RFL?

What do you make of the Australia England game being played in Wales or Semi-finals at Wembley?

Has the RFL made a massive error restructuring the Super league in such a poor way nobody has discussed the world cup on the television or in the media properly?

Is the rest of the country aware of the tournament?

Is Steve Mac the right man for England? (NO)

I hope the world cup is a success, I will be attending.

I have opinions on these matters but would love you to share yours.

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,870 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:04 PM

I'm sure there are a vocal minority who'd be quietly overjoyed if the RWC was a complete disaster.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

I hope the world cup is a success, I will be attending but, has the 2013 WC been doomed by the RFL?

What do you make of the Australia England game being played in Wales or Semi-finals at Wembley?

Has the RFL made a massive error restructuring the Super league in such a poor way nobody has discussed the world cup on the television or in the media properly?

If you call 200,000 pre-sold tickets with 3 months to go a flop then you have a lot to worry about. 200k+ is more than will go through the gates at Wigan's DW or Leeds' Headingley in a the whole season.

#4 brooza

brooza
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

Perfectly fine with both of these things.

Opening ceremony needs to be in a big stadium, having the roof is a huge advantage.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#5 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

I heard a bit on the radio a week or so back (forget the astation but may have been talksport) talking about now wimbledon, the tour de france and the lions tour are over, once the ashes is done there are no other major sporting events to look forward to in the british sporting calendar this year, apart from the Fury v Haye fight in September.

They then went on to talk about the upcoming football season and how it will fill the gap until the World Cup next summer.

Not once did it mention Rugby League. To be fair, if i wasnt a fan of the game, i wouldnt be aware of it either, advertising of the event is non existant if you dont look in a rugby papaer or go to a game / RL related event.

I often get called a dinosaur for talking about how the game is dying in the heartlands and how expansion shouldnt be at the cost of the traditional areas and clubs we already have - but its clear that we could expand to the moon and the british media wouldnt bat an eyelid.

I personally am really looking forward to the World Cup, and as usual will get behind England more in hope than expectation, but you never know - for those who love their rugby league, it will be great, I just wish we could wave a magic wand and make the rest of the world realise how good our game is.

Edited by buford t justice, 02 August 2013 - 12:34 PM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#6 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

I heard a bit on the radio a week or so back (forget the astation but may have been talksport) talking about now wimbledon, the tour de france and the lions tour are over, once the ashes is done there are no other major sporting events to look forward to in the british sporting calendar this year, apart from the Fury v Haye fight in September.

They then went on to talk about the upcoming football season and how it will fill the gap until the World Cup next summer.

Not once did it mention Rugby League. To be fair, if i wasnt a fan of the game, i wouldnt be aware of it either, advertising of the event is non existant if you dont look in a rugby papaer or go to a game / RL related event.

I often get called a dinosaur for talking about how the game is dying in the heartlands and how expansion shouldnt be at the cost of the traditional areas and clubs we already have - but its clear that we could expand to the moon and the british media wouldnt bat an eyelid.

I personally am really looking forward to the World Cup, and as usual will get behind England more in hope than expectation, but you never know - for those who love their rugby league, it will be great, I just wish we could wave a magic wand and make the rest of the world realise how good our game is.

What did they say when you called them up to tell them? You did do this didn't you?
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#7 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 649 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

To Answer your questions;

1 - It what conceivable way has the RLWC been doomed by the RFL.  if anything they should be applauded for all the good work they have done

2 - Both fantastic venues - very happy to go back to Cardiff and very sensible choice to have the DH Semi's at Wembley and final at Old Trafford, rather than the other way.  

3 - Regardless of the structure of SL the RFL cannot put one thing on hold to sort out another.  Both have had to run concurrently, and it is us, as fans, and our negative journalists who have decided to focus on a league structure that won't be coming in until 2015, rather than a WC that is happening in 3 months.

4 - Not many people are aware, but the awareness is growing.  That will do for me at this stage.  If we have got 50% of tickets sold by the beginning of September I think that is a success.  Who is playing at what QF venue is not yet decided, so I don't think many QF tickets will have been sold - I am going to 8 games so far and will go to a QF, but won't buy my ticket until I know who is playing at what venue.  I guess I am not alone in this.

5 - I believe Steve Mc is the right person - we went with an excellent coach in 2008 with T.Smith and that back fired due to us not actually playing like a team who wanted to win for one another.  I believe McNamara has built this ethos into the England team. The coaching is a minor part - you have a squad of world class players who will get on with the job regardless - it's your job to make them play as a team.  To back this up, let's look at some current International managers and their coaching jobs prior/since being in the hot seat.

Rugby

Clive Woodward - won the WC - was ASSISTANT COACH at Leicester before England and is now not in sports coaching

Stuart Lancaster - Highest ranked NH team, recently beat AB convincingly - was Director of Rugby at LEEDS CARNEGIE - in the 2nd tier of the comp

Tims Sheens - Australia coach - been at West Tigers since 2003 - champions 8 years ago - team now 15th in league

Stephen Kearney - Kiwi Coach - ASSISTANT COACH at Melbourne Storm before being NZ Coach and winning RLWC2008, 2010 4N.  Now coach at Parramatta who have come 14th, 16th and look to be 16th again.

Football

Roy Hodgson - was at WEST BROM, LIVERPOOL, FULHAM, before being appointed for the top job.

Vincente Del Bosque - hadn't coached for 3 years before taking on the Spanish job

There are plenty more examples.  I can't think of any top coaches/managers in any club sport have gone on to be top class International Managers.  They require different attributes, but it seems only RL fans think an International Manager has to have a great club record.

#8 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 714 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:20 PM

No. It will be a resounding success. Get behind it. We as fans can help.  I have a RLWC2013 banner on my Facebook page so every time I share or comment or like people see the RLWC logo.  I have been out for the last two days talking to people at venues hosting the World Cup tour. Talk to people who don't follw RL. Get in the press, write a letter to you local paper, badger the editor to produce articles.

I am volunteering during the event.  I want it to be a success and we can all do a little bit to help promote it.

#9 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 649 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

No. It will be a resounding success. Get behind it. We as fans can help.  I have a RLWC2013 banner on my Facebook page so every time I share or comment or like people see the RLWC logo.  I have been out for the last two days talking to people at venues hosting the World Cup tour. Talk to people who don't follw RL. Get in the press, write a letter to you local paper, badger the editor to produce articles.

I am volunteering during the event.  I want it to be a success and we can all do a little bit to help promote it.

Like the banner bit - how did you get one of those?

#10 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 714 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

Like the banner bit - how did you get one of those?

https://www.facebook...&type=1

#11 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

I hope the world cup is a success, I will be attending but, has the 2013 WC been doomed by the RFL?[/size]

What do you make of the Australia England game being played in Wales or Semi-finals at Wembley?[/size]

Has the RFL made a massive error restructuring the Super league in such a poor way nobody has discussed the world cup on the television or in the media properly?[/size]

Is the rest of the country aware of the tournament?[/size]

Is Steve Mac the right man for England? (NO)[/size]

[/size]

I hope the world cup is a success, I will be attending.[/size]

I have opinions on these matters but would love you to share yours.[/size]

1) Covered roof is a must for the opening ceremony and the Millennium Stadium is a fantastic spot. Wembley has to be involved somewhere along the line, a semi-final double header seems as good an option as any. It would have been great if we could have got a game or two played at the Olympic Stadium though

2) I'm not so sure the game's restructure is anything to do with this. My worry about going with Premier Sports rather than Sky (alongside the BBC) for the World Cup is that the tournament will get minimal coverage on Sky. Imagine how much they'd have banged on about it through Sky Sports News if they'd had the rights.

3) Barely. It'll be a slow burn - getting some much-missed space in the national newspapers is so important.

4) Probably not. But he's our man now, so we just have to back him 100%

5) Amen to that - me too. At the time of writing only the Wembley semis as I live down south, but am plotting a trip up north too.

Edited by Kenny Bania, 02 August 2013 - 01:40 PM.

#12 Jason86

Jason86
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:38 PM

Some excellent points. I have only asked the questions to gage and gain a understanding of other peoples opinions. I am glad to read so many well constructed points and a positive response to them.

#13 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 714 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

http://www.theguardi...d-cup-best-side

#14 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

Vincente Del Bosque - hadn't coached for 3 years before taking on the Spanish job

There are plenty more examples.  I can't think of any top coaches/managers in any club sport have gone on to be top class International Managers.  They require different attributes, but it seems only RL fans think an International Manager has to have a great club record.

Del Bosque had won two European Cups though!

Guus Hiddink, Marcello Lippi and Luiz Felipe Scolari all spring to mind as other football coaches who have had good careers in both club and international management.

#15 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,342 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

Rugby league, for some still redolent of pies, bitter, Grandstand, Martin Offiah and Eddie Waring, has been quietly transforming itself into one of the most forward-thinking sports in the country for some time.

Quite so.

For the World Cup, timing is everything and in terms of media coverage for example, it is important not to peak too early

#16 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 649 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

Del Bosque had won two European Cups though!

Guus Hiddink, Marcello Lippi and Luiz Felipe Scolari all spring to mind as other football coaches who have had good careers in both club and international management.

He had - 7 years before he took charge of Spain

Scolari's actually the best example of the differences between club and country.  According to Wiki he coached in the Brazilian and Arab leagues before becoming Brazil boss - 17 clubs in 19 years, hardly a resounding success.  Then he moved into international managing, Won the WC with Brazil, massive success with Portugal.  Based on that success he got jobs at 3 clubs in 4 years, being sacked from all or leaving by "mutual consent".  He is now back in charge of Brazil and just won the Conf Cup.

Hiddink has coached just as many national teams as club teams - and has had some success in both albeit at club level in a poor league.  Once in charge of a top team he got sacked.

I'll give you Lippi

It's going off topic somewhat, but essentially it is a rare case where a successful club coach has become a successful country coach, and vice versa - they are two different breeds and need different approaches.  McNamara for me is a typical international coach, not a club coach.

#17 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:34 PM

He had - 7 years before he took charge of Spain

Scolari's actually the best example of the differences between club and country.  According to Wiki he coached in the Brazilian and Arab leagues before becoming Brazil boss - 17 clubs in 19 years, hardly a resounding success.  Then he moved into international managing, Won the WC with Brazil, massive success with Portugal.  Based on that success he got jobs at 3 clubs in 4 years, being sacked from all or leaving by "mutual consent".  He is now back in charge of Brazil and just won the Conf Cup.

Hiddink has coached just as many national teams as club teams - and has had some success in both albeit at club level in a poor league.  Once in charge of a top team he got sacked.

I'll give you Lippi

It's going off topic somewhat, but essentially it is a rare case where a successful club coach has become a successful country coach, and vice versa - they are two different breeds and need different approaches.  McNamara for me is a typical international coach, not a club coach.

Seeing as we're on an RL forum, we are indeed going a bit off topic! I could come up with some counter arguments (and throw in Franz Beckenbauer too!) but we best stick to League, interesting debate though it is.

So...ermmm...yes, I am looking forward to RLWC 2013 and it WILL be a success.

#18 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,870 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:38 PM

We're going to see the best Rugby players in world, with several games on the BBC...

...it's a DISASTER! I blame the RFL, farce, joke, kick in the teeth, Nigel Wood displaces a large volume of water etc. etc.

Edited by Futtocks, 02 August 2013 - 02:39 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#19 JvLeeds

JvLeeds
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

Can't wait for this. Great promotion for the game!

#20 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 480 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:58 PM

Every fan has an obligation to avoid headlines like the one on this thread. Fans can do their bit by:
1. Being positive, posting positive things, contributing to forums positively
2. Buy tickets and encourage others not to miss the WC
3. keep quiet for a couple of months if cant do 1 or 2 above

Why oh why can't someone post how they are looking forward to the WC ?